U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:45 PM

9,655 posts, read 15,782,006 times

Advertisements

I have moved many times, and we're doing it again

I do have many little hints, suggestions, etc, and would love to hear others suggestions, so lets start a misc suggestions board

Here's my starters, in no particular order of importance--

realize everything will take longer than you think and plan accordingly

realize you will get stressed out and allow for it

close your kitchen at least 1-2 weeks before your move out date so you can get rid of uneaten foods, clean out fridge, etc just use fast food, convenience foods, etc

Get rid of the small stuff first, it takes the longest! Stuff like papers, knickknacks, etc,
Seems the little stuff takes the most time!

Ask yourself, how would I feel on the other end, opening a box and finding this? Don't pack up every little piece of junk thinking you will need it, its time and money spent for nothing!

Same with those Pods---just toss everything in there and dump out at the other end You will have one h*ll of a mess sorting out at the destination, and remember, you pay for every day you use that Pod!

Before moving get a small storage unit or safe deposit box to store your valuables, papers, jewelry, etc, NOT the same storage unit you will use for other stuff, NOT one others will have access to. Every move, I've had such "disappear" secure the valuables first, before you have movers, packers, etc crawling all over your place

Other random thoughts---post away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 PM

If you get used boxes, make sure to "de-louse" them first. I set a bunch in the garage and set off those flea bombs. Otherwise, you risk taking fleas, other bugs with you.

Also, I set of flea/roach bombs throughout the whole house before packing/moving day, for the same reason.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:12 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,347,955 times
One of the things I've found most useful is writing the destination room and a "table of contents" on two sides and the top of each box. Sure, it's tedious as you're doing it, but it makes unpacking a lot easier and more organized.

Pre-move: PURGE! Purge, purge, purge! Get ruthless and get rid of stuff. Start the purge MONTHS before the move (if you have that luxury).

Also pre-move: As you get closer to your move date, box up non-essentials in your own sweet time and designate a room or space in the house to store them until the big day.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:17 PM

Don't pack/take old dishes, that is, everyday dishes. Donate them or sell at a garage sale, then buy new at your new destination. They cost more to pack/ship/store than they're worth I'm talking about old, mis-matched, everyday "junk" You can buy some nice, new sets for relatively little at Walmart, and they ship for a reasonable price. Just have them delivered to your new place, one less hassle!

Same for many household items, have Walmart deliver new, get rid of the old, price wise you will probably break even and have a nice, fresh start! Also try JCP or Ebay for curtains, towels, etc, have new delilvered and toss the old crap!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:25 PM

Don't take anything that's liquid, even if brand-new and sealed. There's too much potential for damage if it breaks open. Even sealed bottles can be punctured and the contents spill out. I once had a new bottle of cleaning solution break open, even though it was brand-new, sealed, and double-bagged. It leaked onto the brown carpet and bleached the color out of it. Just toss anything liquid.

Same goes for food items. Don't pack/take canned goods. Donate or toss. They can swell up and burst in hot trucks or storage units.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 PM

Be careful what you use for wrapping paper. Don't use newspaper, the ink comes off onto the items! also, if using tissue paper, only use white, the colored tissue paper can deposit colors onto items, too!

Make detailed inventories of what in packing boxes, if time permits. don't just label "kitchen stuff". Its best if you can list each item, or, take pictures!

Number all boxes for inventory lists, and put the number on all 6 sides, so you can tell WTH it is regardless of how its positioned.

Don't label things that would attract thieves---such as "G-Grandma's jewelry" instead, just a number, then keep a list corresponding to the numbers

Old 03-22-2015, 09:35 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,971,112 times
There is no way I can close my kitchen for one or two weeks.

I donate anything that is in an unopened package or non perishable and take the rest with us in a cooler.

As far as the other stuff it takes people different amounts of time to pack and some who plan well are not stressed out.

I do one room at a time and have one location for all the boxes to be loaded on the truck.

When we get to the new place all of those boxes go in one location and only the bed, furniture, food, appliances and food are set in place the day we get there. The rest starts the next day.

I pick a box, unpack it, break down the box, put it in the pile and grab the next box.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is no way I can close my kitchen for one or two weeks.

I donate anything that is in an unopened package or non perishable and take the rest with us in a cooler.

As far as the other stuff it takes people different amounts of time to pack and some who plan well are not stressed out.

I do one room at a time and have one location for all the boxes to be loaded on the truck.

When we get to the new place all of those boxes go in one location and only the bed, furniture, food, appliances and food are set in place the day we get there. The rest starts the next day.

I pick a box, unpack it, break down the box, put it in the pile and grab the next box.

Much depends on where you are going. If its a cross-town, one day move, you can take food items in a cooler, etc. But the moves I've done are cross country, with intermin storage in units, so I certainly wouldn't take food items or liquids!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,008,972 times
Set up a series of boxes for what you will want/need for the first night or two--sheets, pillows, towels, tp, survival kitchen things-a few utensils, paper plates, a pot, skillet, cup, glass, what ever you need for a few days. and label the box and mark it outside with a different color line or tape all over so it is easy to find.

Label each room for the unpackers and label each box the same--bedroom 1 or Sam's room, whatever, just to the room and boxes match. Store boxes in the bedroom closet until the furniture is placed.

Take photos of what goes into each box so if you need to file a claim you have proof of what is in the box. Do the same for furniture and sport equipment.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:44 AM

Depending on the timing, driving, distance, etc you might want to check into a hotel the night before so you can be fresh, rested and ready to go! If you do get a hotel, get one with free breakfast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or