U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 872 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've recently been accepted into Lousiana State University. I've gotten a good amount of financial aide & a bit of a nest egg saved up from working as a teen. I'll be 18 in July, and I will be moving in July from my home in Cincinnati Ohio to Baton Rouge Lousiana. I've managed to find an apartment that will take me and my animals for an affordable price. The only issue is the transport of the animals on the 12 and a half hour drive.

I've got 3 pugs that are all 12+ years, a 14 year old cat, 2 younger cats, 3 mice in a 20 gallon tank & a 1 gallon aquarium. Due to the age of the animals I am not wanting to fly or transport them through a company but as July 20th grows nearer I am fumbling at options. I know that you can pack tropical fish & my rodents will be fine to continue in their cage as they are with few modifications. But in general, should I try using a shipping company for the dogs & cats, and if so what ones have you used and enjoyed? :-)

As well would it be best for me to move my furniture & as much as I can down at once, then return for the animals (they will be staying with my cousins for a few days if need be) or rent a shipping container & send my belongings at the same time as the animals and I move? My car is rather small so it would be impossible to haul a trailer myself or take everything in one load.

Or would it be best to leave & do a straight shot plan? I do not know if I'd have much luck finding an overnight hotel that will take so many animals at once.

I know it seems like a lot of animals to be taking with me, but they've always been "my" animals. I'll be leaving my 2 year old brother & mother with our 2 guinea pigs. I've been financially responsible as well as physically responsible for these animals since I was 15, so I'm confident in taking them with me. It's just the physically getting them there that is the issue.

Thanks to those who respond! :-)

Last edited by betterrthings; 04-03-2015 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:11 AM

5,599 posts, read 4,907,321 times
Do the move in 2 steps. Move all your belongings and get your apartment somewhat set up first, then return for the animals. When I moved with a lot of animals I packed blankets and pillows on the floor of my backseat, bringing the level up to the back seat. Then I placed a few thick quilts on top of the seat and the raised portion of the floorboard. This will give your animals more room to stretch out on a very comfy surface. I did the same with the passenger side of the front seat, and put my oldest cat in that spot. Since you have the mice and aquarium, the passenger side floorboard may be the place to put them. I also had my vet prescribe a mild tranquilizer for all the animals. It helps when they sleep the entire trip.

Before I moved, I checked out animal transport companies and they are expensive. Plus I didn't want to subject my pets to being handled by strangers under stressful conditions. I was glad I made that decision when I saw a crated dog in an airport terminal with luggage stacked all around and on top of his crate. Strangers just aren't going to give the same care to your animals as you would.

Getting them out of the car into their new home will be a challenge. Be careful, and good luck!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 AM

1,222 posts, read 1,545,135 times
OP,

Sounds like this will be your first time living away from home for an extended period of time. Combine this with college which is much different than high school -you may be surprised at how homesick you may be the first 6 months and want to come home for the holidays and the winter break. My observation is that this seems to be the case more often than not. With this in mind, you might want to compromise and take your fish and mice with you, get settled into a routine at your new place and plan on a trip home for the winter break and to bring the remainder of your animals back with you on your return trip.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:24 AM

546 posts, read 324,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
OP,

Sounds like this will be your first time living away from home for an extended period of time. Combine this with college which is much different than high school -you may be surprised at how homesick you may be the first 6 months and want to come home for the holidays and the winter break. My observation is that this seems to be the case more often than not. With this in mind, you might want to compromise and take your fish and mice with you, get settled into a routine at your new place and plan on a trip home for the winter break and to bring the remainder of your animals back with you on your return trip.
If I were picking and choosing, I would bring the cats and dogs with me, rather than the mice and fish. I would think the cats and dogs have more of an emotional attachment to you.

If you need an overnight hotel, you might want to consider finding a LaQuinta along the way, and call the location directly. They are my go-to when I road trip with my dogs. Technically, they have a limit of two pets per room, but they have looked the other way the time I was traveling with three - and the three I was traveling with were all in the 50-70 pound range, combined size more than your pugs and cats combined, so they might let it go, if it's just for one night.

I've only run across one LaQuinta that said they had a weight limit for dogs, but that one looked the other way when I was checking in with an obviously larger dog than their limit.

And kudos to you for being a responsible pet owner at your young age. Some so-called adults never are.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:40 AM

28,403 posts, read 61,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterrthings View Post
I'll be 18 in July,
recently been accepted into Lousiana State University.
gotten a good amount of financial aide & a bit of a nest egg saved
and I will be moving in July from my home in Cincinnati Ohio to Baton Rouge Lousiana.

I've got 3 pugs that are all 12+ years, a 14 year old cat, 2 younger cats,
3 mice in a 20 gallon tank & a 1 gallon aquarium.
Leave the pets home.
Take a room in a dorm.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
I don't think it's the best idea to be trying to care for that many animals and attend college. If you were moving and had a job, it might be different. You've got elderly animals that may need some expensive end-of-life care that you may not be able to provide. Students typically don't have much money.

I'd suggest rehoming the mice and fish. You can always get more after you graduate.

Can the two younger cats go to other family members or friends? That leaves you with the four eldest, the hardest to rehome. That's still a lot, but the pugs will probably only live about another two years or so, and the cat 4 - 6, depending on genetics and diet.

You can probably find room for 3 dogs and 1 cat, which would save money and time with the one trip.

If you can rehome them in a responsible way, I'd suggest doing that and not having animals while in college. Things happen. You need to be focused on your studies so you can get in and get out.

I know that's hard, but you're making a lot of potential problems for yourself with that many animals. Once you graduate and get a job you'll be better able to provide financially for a larger animal family.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:11 PM

4,497 posts, read 3,880,628 times
Six big pets and several small ones at 18??? I can't imagine the vet bills will be within your means.

Leave them at home, especially the old ones that will have the hardest time traveling and adjusting.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM

30,528 posts, read 33,343,692 times
1st time posters have the most outrageous issues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or