U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM

893 posts, read 446,756 times

Advertisements

It's always a transition when moving somewhere new. Customs are different in each part of our country as we have found. Our newest move has me in a quandary though. Is it rudeness or privacy when people won't say, "thank you" or "you're welcome?" My new home state is very defensive over their privacy and hates anyone saying it is rude. I want your opinion America.....if someone holds the door open for you do you thank them or just walk on through and ignore them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:28 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,596,783 times
HHmmm, now I am wondering if you moved where I live?
Customs are very different from region to region(lived in 8 states) but in my opinion, manners are manners and important EVERYWHERE. I always say thank you, excuse me and the like, but find a number of people here do not. I have held the door for my son before and had another individual cut him off and head through the door without even looking back. Staring is a huge problem here too. For some reason a lot of people seem to think it is o.k. to blatantly stare at others, very rude in my opinion.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,397,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
It's always a transition when moving somewhere new. Customs are different in each part of our country as we have found. Our newest move has me in a quandary though. Is it rudeness or privacy when people won't say, "thank you" or "you're welcome?" My new home state is very defensive over their privacy and hates anyone saying it is rude. I want your opinion America.....if someone holds the door open for you do you thank them or just walk on through and ignore them?
Where did you move? NJ?????

Old 01-16-2008, 02:44 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,896,605 times
Quote:
It's never rude to thank someone for a common courtesy. If someone is courteous enough to hold the door for me, I thank them. On the other hand, I don't expect anyone to thank me if I hold the door.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,938,295 times
I expect at least a smile or thank you. Some people were just raised differently I guess.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
HHmmm, now I am wondering if you moved where I live?
Customs are very different from region to region(lived in 8 states) but in my opinion, manners are manners and important EVERYWHERE. I always say thank you, excuse me and the like, but find a number of people here do not. I have held the door for my son before and had another individual cut him off and head through the door without even looking back. Staring is a huge problem here too. For some reason a lot of people seem to think it is o.k. to blatantly stare at others, very rude in my opinion.
I didn't say because I do not want the moderators on my state board to be mad believe it or not. They take offense big time.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't say because I do not want the moderators on my state board to be mad believe it or not. They take offense big time.
I completely understand!!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,191,720 times
Cruikdshl, did you move to the northeast?
I am from here and realize it's a different world compared to other regions. (The "reserved" indicates you may be in New England somewhere. )

Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I am from here and realize it's a different world compared to other regions. (The "reserved" nindicates you may be in New England somewhere? )
That would be my guess too.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I am from here and realize it's a different world compared to other regions. (The "reserved" nindicates you may be in New England somewhere? )
Could be.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or