Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 04:21 AM

120 posts, read 305,919 times

Advertisements

I have a job interview on Monday for an internal company transfer. The good thing is that if I am offered the position it is in one of the cities that I have been considering as a retirement location. The downside is that I would need to decide the best way to do the move and what to do with the home I currently live in and own.

If offered the position I would need to move and find rental housing within 30 days for myself and 2 dogs.

My dilemma is how to handle my current home most cost-efficiently. I don't want to sell it until I know whether this new job will work out and I like the new city.

My thought is to pack all of my furniture and household items into my bedroom and study, and rent out the rest of the house as a roommate situation so that the house will pay for itself and isn't an additional expense. I will need to check of course, but I believe that this option- leaving my belongings in the home and maintaining my residence there will keep me as a resident owner of the home.

I certainly don't want to pay the cost of a full household move without knowing whether I like this new area and that it will be a good fit for me.

Has anybody else been in this situation? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I am a little intimidated and anxious- this is a very short timeframe and a potentially big and final move for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:06 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlmc2 View Post
I have a job interview on Monday for an internal company transfer.
...it is in one of the cities that I have been considering as a retirement location.
How long until you retire?
How far from your current home is the new location?

Quote:
If offered the position I would need to move and find rental housing
within 30 days for myself and 2 dogs.
Does the company offer moving/transfer expenses?
Most offer something;many do so substantially.

Quote:
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Jumping into the deep end without important detail (see Q's above)....
on second though... I won't do that.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Its not a bad idea if you really had 100% confidence your roommate wouldn't take in addtional boarders, get 10 dogs and let them run amok, or strip the house and sell your possessions and disappear. So you really better know who that roommate is.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I am about 5 years from retirement. The transfer location is about a 12 hour drive from my current location, so if needed I could get back to check on the house.

No, they won't pay for relocation. My only expense as such would be the rental, which is fine. I wouldn't move the household down until I was ready to sell my house.

on second though... I won't do that.

Interesting- I guess I don't think of it as jumping into the deep end, more like an opportunity to check out a possible retirement location while doing the job I do anyway.
Thank you for your input

Old 04-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Its not a bad idea if you really had 100% confidence your roommate wouldn't take in addtional boarders, get 10 dogs and let them run amok, or strip the house and sell your possessions and disappear. So you really better know who that roommate is.
Yes, agree totally. I would of course run all the background and employment checks, get security deposit, etc. If I did this I would put my belongings into a separate part of the house behind a locked door. I agree that it isn't ideal. I could put the household into a POD, but was hoping not to have to incur any more debt than necessary around this.
My hope is to find someone who would get a great roommate deal in a house where they would essentially be living alone.
The alternative to all this would be to just let the house sit empty, but then I would be paying house expenses on top of my own rent, and it seems it would be safer to have someone (thoroughly vetted) living there.
Another plan would be to put all the good stuff in storage POD and rent the house out using Air BnB or VRBO, but then I would need to hire a "manager" to handle all the local details, cleaning, etc. Not really too keen on this.
Clearly this plan still needs some more thought.
I appreciate the input, thank you!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:28 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlmc2 View Post
I am about 5 years from retirement.
That's close enough to justify the risk.
It means SELLING though and really committing to the new location

Quote:
The transfer location is about a 12 hour drive from my current location

Being that far away means that you really can't PLAN to do the landlord thing
It's just not practical.

Maybe do a short term sublet just to hedge the bet for six months or so
or just lock it up and leave empty for six months until you can SELL.

The shame being that Spring/Summer is best time to sell.

Quote:
No, they won't pay for relocation.
That's tough.
Quote:
My only expense as such would be the rental, which is fine.

Six to Twelve months of rent in a furnished place? That can add up fast.

Quote:
I wouldn't move the household down until I was ready to sell my house.

To me, being ready to sell means the new job has to work.

Quote:
I guess I don't think of it as jumping into the deep end
Nope. I meant offering you meaningful suggestions vs generalities.

Good Luck

Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
OP,

How long do you expect it to take to decide if you like the job? 3 months? 6months? 1 year? If you don't like the job are you still able to go back to your job in your present location?

You might hold off putting your house up for sale for say 3 months - to see if you really dislike the job and want to return to your present job (if you have that option). Find a short term rental. If the job is OK, go ahead with selling your present home. Put the money in the bank and find a longer term rental to see if your really enjoy living in the area.

Only if you are very sure you want to stay in the area when you retire should you consider buying a home. There is nothing wrong with renting for a few years if you decide it is not the place where you want to retire.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
OP,

How long do you expect it to take to decide if you like the job? 3 months? 6months? 1 year? If you don't like the job are you still able to go back to your job in your present location?

You might hold off putting your house up for sale for say 3 months - to see if you really dislike the job and want to return to your present job (if you have that option). Find a short term rental. If the job is OK, go ahead with selling your present home. Put the money in the bank and find a longer term rental to see if your really enjoy living in the area.

Only if you are very sure you want to stay in the area when you retire should you consider buying a home. There is nothing wrong with renting for a few years if you decide it is not the place where you want to retire.
If I don't like the job I can request a transfer back or to another location in a year. I would want to keep my current house for at least that year to see how I liked the job and the location. Although if I was certain I liked it I would prepare my house to put on market next February.

Yes, I would rent a small unfurnished apt until I felt ready to commit to the area. I am a minimalist so would just get a futon and chair for the interim, take clothes of course and basic kitchen/bath items with me.

This move would work best if I had someone living in the house to help defray the expenses. Even though I live in a great neighborhood, I also don't know that I would be comfortable leaving my house empty for a year.

I am also considering looking into one of the house-sitting websites. Does anyone have any experience with any of them?

Thank you for your thoughts, appreciate it!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:25 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
I have experience owning a vacation townhouse in a sunny climate. We have a large closet, actually the pantry, which has a solid door with a lock. We put all of our personal items and items we use there but would not want to walk off. We rent the townhouse out through a property management company. We have neighbors that had a more secure vault system built into their walk in closet.

However, I suggest you sort & cull all your possessions now. Get rid of everything but the most valuable to you. And sell, donate etc anything that would cost more to move than you can replace, keeping only antiques & family heirlooms. If you sell your house, you want to be making decisions about possessions while you have time.

Now if you remove your newly sorted must keep clothing& shoes and necessary household items you will take to your new spot in a car, what is left? Can it all be boxed and ups shipped? If you have valuable furniture, I would have it moved rather than stored.

I would make the move and not look back. Getting your house ready and on the market ASAP will make for a better price. If you leave it with someone in it, you will have a very difficult time getting it sold. Houses are investments, you can buy another if you want to move back to that city.

I think it wise to move in your job to the place where you will retire. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:30 PM

Thanks Historyfan for your thoughts.
Taking everybody's comments in mind, I decided to withdraw my application. I will start taking road trips this year to check out some of the places I am interested in, and take my time getting my house ready for sale so that next winter, if I still want to relocate, I will be ready.
Thank you all for your comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues