U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 10,157 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I are moving from Michigan to California at the end of July with our 2 dogs. We have everything worked out except the drive itself. We aren't taking much with us and our new apt in California is completely furnished so we just don't know the best way to travel.

Option one- drive our car and add a hitch and cargo trailer(about $350) from uhaul

We plan on having fun and taking our time so it would be nice just to drive our own car. Also I feel like it would be less scary driving through mountains and traffic with only a cargo trailer as opposed to a truck and a flatbed attached for our car. Also I think it would be less expensive in gas.

The major down side is that its going to cost about $900+ to have a hitch installed on our car for literally a one time use - which brings me to option 2

Uhaul truck with a flatbed attached (about $1550 for truck and flatbed) for our car

Its obviously more expensive than the cargo trailer but not to far off once you include the price for the hitch but we would be able to bring more stuff with us and it would be less cramped. It would probably be more comfortable being in the vehicle for long periods of time since its so big.

Downsides- theres no way I could drive a big truck with our car attached leaving my husband having to do all the driving by himself. Also its sounds terrifying to think about trying to move in and out of traffic in busy areas with that much behind us and I imagine it'd be a lot more in gas - But It would keep a lot of miles off our car. I honestly have no clue the best way to do this and have never moved so far before.

Any tips on interesting places to stop or must see sights along they way are welcomed too!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:53 PM

5,169 posts, read 2,973,149 times
Most cars are not adequate to tow a significant trailer. What is yours rated to tow? Check the owners manual, and then estimate the weight of the loaded trailer. You will likely opt for the truck and flat bed trailer.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Most cars are not adequate to tow a significant trailer. What is yours rated to tow? Check the owners manual, and then estimate the weight of the loaded trailer. You will likely opt for the truck and flat bed trailer.
I forget what its rated, but I looked it up on the uhaul website and it was capable according to them to do the first 2 or 3 cargo trailers. Since we aren't bringing much of anything we were going to do just the enclosed 4'by 8' trailer, which I believe is their smallest one.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,852,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilduka View Post
Hi my husband and I are moving from Michigan to California at the end of July with our 2 dogs. We have everything worked out except the drive itself. We aren't taking much with us and our new apt in California is completely furnished so we just don't know the best way to travel.

Option one- drive our car and add a hitch and cargo trailer(about $350) from uhaul

We plan on having fun and taking our time so it would be nice just to drive our own car. Also I feel like it would be less scary driving through mountains and traffic with only a cargo trailer as opposed to a truck and a flatbed attached for our car. Also I think it would be less expensive in gas.

The major down side is that its going to cost about $900+ to have a hitch installed on our car for literally a one time use - which brings me to option 2

Uhaul truck with a flatbed attached (about $1550 for truck and flatbed) for our car

Its obviously more expensive than the cargo trailer but not to far off once you include the price for the hitch but we would be able to bring more stuff with us and it would be less cramped. It would probably be more comfortable being in the vehicle for long periods of time since its so big.

Downsides- theres no way I could drive a big truck with our car attached leaving my husband having to do all the driving by himself. Also its sounds terrifying to think about trying to move in and out of traffic in busy areas with that much behind us and I imagine it'd be a lot more in gas - But It would keep a lot of miles off our car. I honestly have no clue the best way to do this and have never moved so far before.

Any tips on interesting places to stop or must see sights along they way are welcomed too!

Thanks in advance!
I just got done last month moving from California to Oregon, towing my car behind a 15 foot U-Haul truck. It worked well. Gas was expensive. It cost me about $225 for the 600 mile trip. Avoid mountains as much as possible. The truck was pretty new but was having a hard time managing 35 mph going uphill, while towing. Also if you don't have much experience with backing up a trailer, avoid doing that at all cost. Keep the truck on the street going in a straight line, and keep your speed to 55 mph or less. Watch out for low overhead gas-station / motel canopies and signs. You can do a lot of damage if you hit one of those.

Don't plan on having much fun on the trip. This should be a work trip. You should be concentrating on getting all your stuff there in one piece. You will have a deadline to get the equipment returned. So don't waste time.

I don't have any experience with cargo trailers, but I guess the first question would be, will all your stuff fit in it? I believe the largest U-Haul trailer is probably smaller then the smallest truck.

Will it fit: Dimensions of U-Haul Trailers - Moving Insider

The second question is, what kind of car do you have and will it be able to tow a large trailer? Why would you have any more problem helping your husband driving a truck and towing your car, then driving your car and towing a trailer? Driving a truck is not really that hard, if you just pay attention to what you are doing.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 PM

A cargo trailer would fit all our stuff. We plan and have already started getting rid of everything we don't "have to have" and out apartment in California will be completely furnished so we are lucky we don't have to deal with anything large. Its going to be mostly clothes and some kitchen and bathroom stuff.

We have a 2014 BMW 328i xdrive.
I have no problem driving that with a small 4 by 8 cargo trailer on it but would really not be comfortable driving a 10 foot haul truck with a flatbed in tow with our car on it. Just not my thing.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I forget what its rated, but I looked it up on the uhaul website and it was capable according to them to do the first 2 or 3 cargo trailers. Since we aren't bringing much of anything we were going to do just the enclosed 4'by 8' trailer, which I believe is their smallest one.
That trailer is only 142 cu. ft. I hope you are moving really light, because that would fill up pretty quick. Compare that to a small 10 ft. truck which is 402 cu. ft.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I just got done last month moving from California to Oregon, towing my car behind a 15 foot U-Haul truck. It worked well. Gas was expensive. It cost me about $225 for the 600 mile trip. Avoid mountains as much as possible. The truck was pretty new but was having a hard time managing 35 mph going uphill, while towing. Also if you don't have much experience with backing up a trailer, avoid doing that at all cost. Keep the truck on the street going in a straight line, and keep your speed to 55 mph or less. Watch out for low overhead gas-station / motel canopies and signs. You can do a lot of damage if you hit one of those.

Don't plan on having much fun on the trip. This should be a work trip. You should be concentrating on getting all your stuff there in one piece. You will have a deadline to get the equipment returned. So don't waste time.

I don't have any experience with cargo trailers, but I guess the first question would be, will all your stuff fit in it? I believe the largest U-Haul trailer is probably smaller then the smallest truck.

Will it fit: Dimensions of U-Haul Trailers - Moving Insider

The second question is, what kind of car do you have and will it be able to tow a large trailer? Why would you have any more problem helping your husband driving a truck and towing your car, then driving your car and towing a trailer? Driving a truck is not really that hard, if you just pay attention to what you are doing.
A cargo trailer would fit all our stuff. We plan and have already started getting rid of everything we don't "have to have" and our apartment in California will be completely furnished so we are lucky we don't have to deal with anything large. Its going to be mostly clothes and some kitchen and bathroom stuff.

I have no problem driving that with a small 4 by 8 cargo trailer on it but would really not be comfortable driving a 10 foot haul truck with a flatbed in tow with our car on it. Just not my thing.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
That trailer is only 142 cu. ft. I hope you are moving really light, because that would fill up pretty quick. Compare that to a small 10 ft. truck which is 402 cu. ft.
We have about 5 or 6 of those plastic storage bins and 2 tvs. That should be ok right? And we have the trunk of our car too, given its not huge but its something.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
A cargo trailer would fit all our stuff. We plan and have already started getting rid of everything we don't "have to have" and out apartment in California will be completely furnished so we are lucky we don't have to deal with anything large. Its going to be mostly clothes and some kitchen and bathroom stuff.

Your choice, but if I were you, I would get a 10 ft truck and an Auto Transport.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
We have about 5 or 6 of those plastic storage bins and 2 tvs. That should be ok right? And we have the trunk of our car too, given its not huge but its something.
In that case have you considered maybe getting rid of the TVs and just taking everything in your car? Then you will save the money on the rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues