Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I've wondered about this. Suppose you do this, and then the new tenant stops paying rent (and thus your lease obligation is technically unfulfilled)?

Do you then have to pay the rest of the rent for the lease?
No. It's called the duty to mitigate damages. In most states, the landlord must try to find another tenant asap using reasonable means and their normal criteria. Then they can only charge the leaving tenant rent until they get rent flowing again, and advertising fees.

Here's an article on it:

Breaking a Lease and Leaving Early | Nolo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 12:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,251 times
The problem with the mitigation duty is that you can't prove that they aren't actually looking for someone. My husband and I sent someone up who wanted to sublease our place and the office staff showed her other apartments to get her to try to rent one of those instead of ours, so I don't trust that they will really try to mitigate the damages. They will do the bare minimum and rent out other units instead of ours.

That's the big issue I have with that law. It sounds good on paper, but in reality, if you've got a crappy LL you're still out of luck.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:46 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Usually if you're in an apartment owned by a property management company, there is no way to break the lease without huge penalties. Even then you have to check, because some won't let you out no matter what. Also, the leasing agents at the apartment usually have limited authority since they work for the parent company, so you won't get much help or sympathy. They will follow the stipulations on the lease to a tee.

You have a better chance with independent landlords. For example, if you could find someone to takeover your lease for you, they'd probably be willing to work with you.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No. It's called the duty to mitigate damages. In most states, the landlord must try to find another tenant asap using reasonable means and their normal criteria. Then they can only charge the leaving tenant rent until they get rent flowing again, and advertising fees.

Here's an article on it:

Breaking a Lease and Leaving Early | Nolo.com

^^This. Per my lease terms, I gave a 60-day notice to vacate, technically giving them consent to start marketing the apt. In addition, I paid $1500 relet fee and was financially liable for the lease until new tenants had signed a lease. Thankfully, they found new tenants within a month which ended my liability. They even let me make payments arrangements for my outstanding balance. BUT, what I didn't expect was that the unpaid balance would negatively affect being able to rent an apartment in my new city. So, I had to hustle up and pay it off pretty quickly to prevent hassles with future rent applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues