Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:18 PM

797 posts, read 1,748,525 times

Advertisements

I am trying to convince my hubby to part ways with some of the bigger furniture items but he is having a hard time. He also feels that if we sell our "quality" furniture for less than market value (which is all we seem to be able to get when we list things), then we aren't really saving $$$ in the long run because the minimal savings we'll get on smaller moving costs will break even when we factor in what it costs to replace those items.

My husband is pretty much dead set again buying used furniture to replace things because we know 2 people who got bed bugs that way..

So if u had to move cross country which furniture items (or household items) would you absolutely bring? What would you sell? My fear is that items such as my dresser mirror will break in the moving truck so better to sell now but like my hubby said if we ever want to replace it, it may be costly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 05:56 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
We've always moved everything. I weighed the costs of purchasing new, similar quality items versus the additional moving costs. For me the move would be less than purchasing new items--including the time it will take me to shop and purchase new items.

As far as the mirror--for our last long distance move I packed the dresser mirror very carefully. First double wrapped in bubble wrap, wrapped a blanket around it, then created a box out of a couple of boxes since the "mirror boxes" were too small and marked it "fragile" in bold letters on both sides. I did the same with several smaller mirrors. All arrived unbroken.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
We've always moved everything. I weighed the costs of purchasing new, similar quality items versus the additional moving costs. For me the move would be less than purchasing new items--including the time it will take me to shop and purchase new items.

As far as the mirror--for our last long distance move I packed the dresser mirror very carefully. First double wrapped in bubble wrap, wrapped a blanket around it, then created a box out of a couple of boxes since the "mirror boxes" were too small and marked it "fragile" in bold letters on both sides. I did the same with several smaller mirrors. All arrived unbroken.
Excellent advice. Thank u!

Old 05-15-2015, 06:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,807,548 times
We just got rid of stuff and replaced it with new as needed. We had a very uncomfortable bed purchased in Holland, which went to the curb. My son took over the guest room bed and when we needed a guest room bed we bought a new one.

I don't think we sold anything. We brought a brand new in box generator and plan to sell it when the weather gets bad. Mostly we just tossed or gave stuff away.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
We just got rid of stuff and replaced it with new as needed. We had a very uncomfortable bed purchased in Holland, which went to the curb. My son took over the guest room bed and when we needed a guest room bed we bought a new one.

I don't think we sold anything. We brought a brand new in box generator and plan to sell it when the weather gets bad. Mostly we just tossed or gave stuff away.
So far I have been clearing out what we have been watching collect dust- mainly the garage, attic, basement, etc.. I figured it is stuff we don't use why bother to ship it... But the other items such as our couch, TV, etc... Makes me worry they'll break, sent, scuff, etc and then we will have to replace anyways. Had we just sold it that would've at least off-set replacement costs

Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
We are in the process of a large move (about 20K estimated pounds) from CO to TX and we are bringing almost everything. The large items we are leaving behind are a very large big screen TV (because my husband doesn't think the picture is up to snuff and it would cost hundreds of dollars to pack it) and my 7 year old's bunk bed (because I will NEVER own a damn bunk bed again).

The reason we decided to bring almost everything is:

1. We are being reimbursed for the direct costs of shipping and travel costs. We cannot take the cash difference between the maximum relocation amount and our final costs. So, it does nothing for us financially to move less. In fact, the only way we can maximize our reimbursement is to find a way to spend everything allowed, if that makes sense.

2. Our furniture and decor items will fit the aesthetic of the home we are moving to. If that had not been the case, I would have happily gotten rid of nearly all our stuff. I have no emotional connection to anything but a few pieces.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:18 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,072 times
I typically go through everything that is on its last leg and large and do not take those things. So a couch that is not looking too good or a mattress that is more than 5 years old would not go, but other furniture would.

I have moved large mirrors a lot. Generally if I am packing the truck the mirrors go between 2 mattresses / box springs that are going, wrapped in a blanket. If the movers are packing they use the expensive boxes and foam wrap them.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 AM

720 posts, read 994,873 times
Our new home came furnished and we really like the furnishings so we will only be bringing my art supplies, artwork, a few books and our clothes. (minus of course the down coats and boots etc). I have decided to ship boxes via UPS rather than hire a mover just for the few boxes. Ups will be much less expensive for such a long distance.

I have been selling off my large book collection and giving away most of the furniture dishes etc.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:24 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,688,785 times
Our move in coming up soon and is 17 hours away. We are selling all big items but our bed, tvs and grill (bc its brand new) most of our furniture we have had for over 5 years and could be replaced anyways, some being from family. It will save time and money by selling it off and buying new (or used) because we plan to do the move ourselves.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,067 times
Most moving companies are complete crooks! We moved from Las Vegas to Oregon back in 2007 and when the prearranged and paid for moving truck arrived, he explained that our stuff would NOT fit in the allotted space I paid for. Well naturally it was moving day and we had flights scheduled the next morning, we were at the mercy of these crooks and had to shell out another thousand bucks, and leave some items behind. So I look at it this way, you're probably due a change of some furniture anyway, garage sell a bunch of it and only take the stuff that's irreplaceable. Our next cross country move was paid for by the government, so the movers arrived and packed everything, it was awesome! We're about to do it again; the movers arrive June 26. we're moving from Maryland to New Mexico. Now my dilemma is how do I transport a third vehicle across country at a reasonable rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues