U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,366 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any good advice on transporting a vehicle across country on the cheap?

So we're moving from Maryland to New Mexico soon. Moving company will pack everything and move it out there, so we're good in that regard. However, we'll drive our two family cars and I was thinking of renting a small uhaul trailer for odds and ends that we'd rather keep close at hand and that are on the more valuable side. Anyway, I have a third car, nothing fancy, but it's nice having a third car for those rare occasions one car is in the shop, to loan out or what have you. It's an old 89 Tbird that I picked up recently and I really like it. It's in mint condition, zero dents, zero scratches and the interior is flawless! It only has 93,000 original miles and was obviously garage kept most of it's life.

Car hauling companies want about 1,200 bucks to haul it! Hell, I only paid 2,200 for the car! How can I justify paying 1,200 to haul a 2,200 car? I looked into towing it myself on a tow-dolly, but the car I'd tow it with is too small to safely tow it.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 04:34 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,844,353 times
Do you really really really need that car?? If you HAVE to keep it there's several websites you can put in your info and shipping companies will contact you with rates. OR you could pay someone (friend, stranger) to drive it for you.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 AM

3,237 posts, read 4,557,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Do you really really really need that car?? If you HAVE to keep it there's several websites you can put in your info and shipping companies will contact you with rates. OR you could pay someone (friend, stranger) to drive it for you.
That's what I was thinking as well.

OP,

You paid $2,200 for the car and you're going to transport it?

MD to NM is a long trip, gas is expensive and transporters have to make a living.

Personally, I wouldn't want to drive a $2,200 car across the country, especially in the southwest where there are various gaps in cell phone coverage and many miles between services.

My advice: sell the car and use the money for something else.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:56 PM

10,171 posts, read 7,047,702 times
Maybe see if a friend would do it. But that price isn't bad for transporting a car. Maybe sell it and buy something there?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,021,376 times
Ask a friend or relative to drive it and pay for their air fare back home. You move it for the cost of gas, hotel for driver, food for driver and air fare back. though this likely is pushing the cost of having it transported for the $1200 with out putting the wear and tear and mileage on it.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 PM

5,169 posts, read 2,975,968 times
Moving companies will load a car in the van with your household things. If they won't, their competitor will.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 PM

48 posts, read 42,614 times
I personally wouldn't do this, but there is a website that hooks you up with a person who will drive your car for you, but you're still putting the miles on the car, still paying for gas, AND paying for this service. There's really no way around it; you're going to shell out more dough than it's worth either if you pay to have it shipped or pay to have someone drive it out.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,854,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Moving companies will load a car in the van with your household things. If they won't, their competitor will.
I have never heard of that. How would they do that? Most moving vans don't have the ramps necessary to load a vehicle, nor the equipment to secure the vehicle inside the trailer.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of amateurs trying to load cars inside box trailers, and it always ends in an epic FAIL. I don't believe any professional moving company would do it.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 05-19-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 PM

85 posts, read 259,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeldude5 View Post
Anyone have any good advice on transporting a vehicle across country on the cheap?

So we're moving from Maryland to New Mexico soon. Moving company will pack everything and move it out there, so we're good in that regard. However, we'll drive our two family cars and I was thinking of renting a small uhaul trailer for odds and ends that we'd rather keep close at hand and that are on the more valuable side. Anyway, I have a third car, nothing fancy, but it's nice having a third car for those rare occasions one car is in the shop, to loan out or what have you. It's an old 89 Tbird that I picked up recently and I really like it. It's in mint condition, zero dents, zero scratches and the interior is flawless! It only has 93,000 original miles and was obviously garage kept most of it's life.

Car hauling companies want about 1,200 bucks to haul it! Hell, I only paid 2,200 for the car! How can I justify paying 1,200 to haul a 2,200 car? I looked into towing it myself on a tow-dolly, but the car I'd tow it with is too small to safely tow it.

Any thoughts?
Hey

what moving company are you using?

Old 05-21-2015, 02:26 PM

625 posts, read 469,471 times
Friend or family member drives it for you. You pay their airfare home. Or sell it for $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues