U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 03:29 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,208,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP and Gixxer, put several good photos of AZ on a rotating screen saver and spend a few minutes each day visualizing yourself there. Gixxer, same thing: ask yourself: is there something wrong with wanting to move to AZ? Maybe write some lists. If you don't have strong, logical reasons that show otherwise (and you have the job situation handled) GO!

The important thing is to be honest and clear about your situation. A move isn't going to be a magical fix-it for every woe. In fact, the move may introduce some new woes, but if you have reasonable expectations and have done your research, you're taking a calculated risk instead of a stupid one. Life is not risk free!

I moved for a better economy, but there have been a lot of unexpected benefits that never made my list when I was thinking through the decision.

I hope that your moves give both of you the same sorts of gifts and opportunities.

In any case, when you do make the move, give yourself at least a year before you decide you made a mistake. The first several weeks might be rough, or they might be fine but then a rough patch might occur. Or maybe not! You won't know until then. Why make yourself crazy? (:

I'm surprised ElleTea hasn't commented on this thread, yet. She moved from Des Moines to Phoenix not long ago and has been very happy with the decision.

You must have seen my screen saver..lol It's been full of rotating photos of Az for a while now.

I think my situation may be a little different in a few ways one being a small business owner ( 28 years ) and having a few employees the other is I've never lived anywhere else so the comfort factor sets in. I am working with my foreman who's been with me 15+ years now hoping he will take over and maybe still being able to draw a small salary to help out for a while.

You're right that there's no guarantees and I'm guilty of always trying to plan everything and make sure it's perfect where there are no guarantees in life and sometimes you need to just do it! I've made several lists pros/cons for both areas and there are far more pros in the Az list and many cons in the Ma list. Two of the biggest pros being cost of living and weather. I am making myself crazy now

I've read many of ElleTeas post and several others who've made the move and it's encouraging to hear their stories but I think she loves the heat a little more than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:36 PM

5,052 posts, read 5,983,272 times
You also know right now that heat might be a problem, so you'll take appropriate steps. Also, it's not 100+ most of the year.

I already know that I can't take the heat. As I've written to ElleTea, I certainly appreciate the natural beauty of Papago Park. The ranger thought I was nuts, but I asked permission to go out and touch the big cactus. I explained that I was from Ohio and had never been in the desert before or had that sort of opportunity. She let me do it. Truly awesome!

But it's not a place I could live. I'd miss the prairie winds talking to me.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
You must have seen my screen saver..lol It's been full of rotating photos of Az for a while now.ed: I've read many of ElleTeas post and several others who've made the move and it's encouraging to hear their stories but I think she loves the heat a little more than I do.
Yes!! (We love you, ElleTea!)

She loves sitting in the heat and sunshine as much as I love x-country skiing on a 0 degree night on new powder.

But, hey! It's a big country.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:39 PM

42 posts, read 37,657 times
Ruby Jane~
Just wanted to tell you I know exactly how you feel as far as your friends being upset. One of my two closest friends here has NOT been handling the news of my move very well.
I, too, am planning a move to AZ, from Il. And you hit the nail on the head when you said you have some friends who will take it personally, that is what she is doing. I try to remember that she is sad and will miss me, and so I try to be considerate of her feelings, but she isn't supporting me at all.
She has brought up every "worse case scenario" of the move, makes snide remarks about the move that are said in jest but you can tell she isn't completely joking, and is just very mopey about the whole thing. I definitely hold back my enthusiasm about moving when talking to her. It sure places a damper on your excitement about your new life, doesn't it?

I wonder if others have dealt with this?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:14 PM

797 posts, read 1,126,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I noticed that you wrote "Family will surely be angry" rather than "I love my family very much and really enjoy living close to them." To me that says a lot about your situation. You are old enough to decide when you want or need a change of location rather than be concerned that your family may be angry.

If you have not lived at home for almost 20 years you are probably in your late 30s to early 40s and your parents are probably late 50s or someplace in their 60s or maybe early 70s.

In addition, you are young enough to not be concerned about having to deal with elderly parents and their health needs or your (possible) future care giving responsibilities. In five or ten years you may not have the same choices about moving away that you have right now. This is just one thing to consider in your decision.

You also wrote "some friends will be angry" and not "I have a large group of very supportive friends that I would really miss if I moved away".

If you decide to move you can always return for vacations and keep connected via the internet, telephone and Skype. It is not like when my grandmother moved from Germany to America in 1910 and knew that she would probably never, ever see her parents, other relatives and friends again. (BTW, her sister was able to visit once 50 years later but my grandmother never saw her parents again.)

BTW, like many people I do not believe in "signs". Obviously, you really wanted to move if you even applied for a job in a city 2,000 miles away.

Just my two cents.
THIS. Everything about this. Wholeheartedly agree. 10 years ago I had an opportunity to move to California. I let fear and other people's opinions stop me. Now here I am with an entirely different lifestyle and circumstances are far different. We are having our doubts now if a move is even going to make sense. Bottom line, circumstances change. Do it now while you can. Don't look back in 10 years and regret not going

Old 07-13-2015, 03:48 PM

487 posts, read 561,690 times
Well, I thought I would give a bit of an update, in case anyone was curious.

I pulled the trigger and set everything in motion. I had the difficult conversations with everyone. Things went a lot better than I was expecting. Everyone has been very supportive. They're upset that I'm leaving, but they seem to get it. Even my parents, whom I thought would react the most poorly, are being outwardly supportive. I can tell they are upset. They cried when I told them, but when I explained my desire for change, they had to admit they understood what I meant, especially since they have done it themselves.

By the end of the month, I will be in Phoenix beginning my new adventure! I'm scared and stressed, but it's going to happen!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
By the end of the month, I will be in Phoenix beginning my new adventure! I'm scared and stressed, but it's going to happen!
Thanks for the update and congratulations! Remember, give yourself a full year and tell the grouchy part of your mind to take a hike until then.

Give yourself credit for trying this new adventure. Some people never do. You're now one of the elite!

Old 07-17-2015, 02:26 PM

8,754 posts, read 2,724,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

At the end of the day sometimes you have to say F it and try something new. If it doesn't work out, you have a home base to come back to. It's better to try something and say it didn't work then not try it and never know. GL
This ^^^

Old 07-17-2015, 02:27 PM

8,754 posts, read 2,724,442 times
Congratulations Ruby!

Old 07-17-2015, 03:51 PM

7,498 posts, read 4,599,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Exciting!

Here's an idea to keep in your hip pocket once you get settled in. You work from home -- I'm assuming online? If the summer heat really gets to you there are always towns like Munds Park and Flagstaff, where the elevation makes it much cooler. There are rentals on VRBO that have internet access included. The Sonoran Desert is beautiful but there's nothing like cool pines and mountains when it's flaming hot in the Valley of the Sun.

Enjoy the 8 to 9 months of wonderful weather in Phoenix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or