U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:19 AM

10,171 posts, read 7,045,900 times

Advertisements

We are relocating cross country (south to north) in a little over two weeks. A company will be packing for us and moving us. I will not be here, I will be setting up house in our new place. My husband will be here but he won't have a lot of time to prep. We will be leaving a lot of furniture and gave them a list but I will leave another list for hubby.

With all that is said, my house is clean but cluttered. Most rooms have been decluttered but there are toys in every main room, random stuff all over. My bedroom is pretty cluttered but not hoarder style. Just need to get rid of clothes, etc.

On top of it all, the AC is out and working around the house is hell.

So, as you can imagine, I have 4,000 things on my to do list. And the house is falling more and more to the bottom. I'm afraid more things come up and organizing will keep falling down and never get done.

So how much of an epic failure would it be to have the movers come in and pack a home that isn't well organized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:31 AM

16,750 posts, read 25,753,671 times
I have not had the experience of movers packing my house but I have heard that they will pack EVERYTHING. So make sure all your "not hoarder style" stuff really needs to go with you.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:09 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,927,223 times
This is true, they do pack absolutely everything. We had to be packed out of our house due to a water damage issue. The packers even packed things like piles of junk mail and wrapped them in packing paper. It was very strange unpacking after that event.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,019,149 times
It would be better if you could place like things together. They will pack things as they find them, so every box will have toys if you have toys scattered around your house.

If you could hire a local teen to pile all the toys together in say the garage or bathtub, it will help you a lot when unpacking.

Also think of the things you will want sooner rather than later--the tv remote control, the wires / cables for the tv or stereo, a favorite pillow, etc. Put them in one place together and make sure THAT box is marked. Otherwise in 2 months you may unpack the correct box and find them.

Also if you have things like lotion or soaps or make up, they will be put in whatever box they are packing at the time. So if you do not want your make up and lotion spilling on your books, they better not be located together in your house. You also might want to make sure the lids are tight--the movers will not. They will just wrap them in paper and move on to the next thing. If you do not want your scented candle melting on your pillows, sheets and night clothes, the candles should not be located near the bed. The movers pack what they find, as they find it. They do not clean or sort.

And if you do not want your trash packed, someone better dump the trash cans. If you do not want the dirty dishes packed, then they better be washed and on the counter or in the cupboard. Oh, and they did not pack the dishes left in the dishwasher, but did pack the sink dishes.

I bought pizza for my movers and when they were finished eating the pizza they started wrapping up the empty pizza box...dedicated workers they were Really, they worked hard and were good.

Sounds to me that you will get packed up fine. Packers pack, and do pack everything....but you will have MESS when you unpack if you do not take the time to organize first.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
It would be better if you could place like things together. They will pack things as they find them, so every box will have toys if you have toys scattered around your house.

If you could hire a local teen to pile all the toys together in say the garage or bathtub, it will help you a lot when unpacking.

Also think of the things you will want sooner rather than later--the tv remote control, the wires / cables for the tv or stereo, a favorite pillow, etc. Put them in one place together and make sure THAT box is marked. Otherwise in 2 months you may unpack the correct box and find them.

Also if you have things like lotion or soaps or make up, they will be put in whatever box they are packing at the time. So if you do not want your make up and lotion spilling on your books, they better not be located together in your house. You also might want to make sure the lids are tight--the movers will not. They will just wrap them in paper and move on to the next thing. If you do not want your scented candle melting on your pillows, sheets and night clothes, the candles should not be located near the bed. The movers pack what they find, as they find it. They do not clean or sort.

And if you do not want your trash packed, someone better dump the trash cans. If you do not want the dirty dishes packed, then they better be washed and on the counter or in the cupboard. Oh, and they did not pack the dishes left in the dishwasher, but did pack the sink dishes.

I bought pizza for my movers and when they were finished eating the pizza they started wrapping up the empty pizza box...dedicated workers they were Really, they worked hard and were good.

Sounds to me that you will get packed up fine. Packers pack, and do pack everything....but you will have MESS when you unpack if you do not take the time to organize first.
Wow. Well great advice and maybe some thoughts that will light a fire under me. Hopefully get the AC fixed tomorrow and I will get working. Honestly, I'd rather pack myself. I might just do more packing then just organizing.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:21 PM

463 posts, read 443,260 times
They will pack everything. including trash. they will pack your pizza too. True stories. The only nightmare is when you unpack and you realize how much stuff you have and should have gotten rid of. The more organized the easier it is on the other end. With that said I've gotten rid of a ton of stuff and I still unpacked items we should have gotten rid of. Our garage usually the first month of a move in was packed with more good will donations.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesu View Post
They will pack everything. including trash. they will pack your pizza too. True stories. The only nightmare is when you unpack and you realize how much stuff you have and should have gotten rid of. The more organized the easier it is on the other end. With that said I've gotten rid of a ton of stuff and I still unpacked items we should have gotten rid of. Our garage usually the first month of a move in was packed with more good will donations.
The last time we moved I had several boxes I never unpacked (and I had packed them). After 8 years I took a peak and sent them off to good will. I figured we didn't want or need that stuff anyways.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 AM

487 posts, read 561,135 times
The problem you're going to face is unpacking. They will pack absolutely everything, so if you have toys in every room, when you unpack, it's doing to be hard to find things. You won't be able to unpack a box marked toys, because instead they will be in every random room box.

Clutter isn't as bad if you're sure it's all stuff you need to keep. At least if it's in the right room, you'll be able to find it in the proper room box. They really will just throw it all in the box. I would just at least try to get things in their proper room if you can do nothing else. The last thing you probably want to deal with when you're trying to get settled is a child who MUST have X toy RIGHT NOW and you have no idea what room it was in when it was packed.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 AM

10,506 posts, read 8,710,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
The problem you're going to face is unpacking. They will pack absolutely everything, so if you have toys in every room, when you unpack, it's doing to be hard to find things. You won't be able to unpack a box marked toys, because instead they will be in every random room box.

That's what lawns are good for: spreading small stuff out in big piles. As long as you get the furniture in each room marked correctly, I wouldn't worry about it. You can presort the piles, before you leave or when you get there. Just make sure they/you label the room each pile came from (or where it is going).

Old 05-21-2015, 02:22 PM

625 posts, read 469,377 times
It would be better, easier if you had time to clean and organize before they come, but it'll be fine. They can get you packed regardless.

What will help you TREMENDOUSLY is getting a few boxes and packing essentials to either take in your car, have your husband bring or MARK so you can find them right away.

Kitchen basics: can opener, a few dishes, a few pieces of silverware, a few glasses, you get the idea. Basics to survive for a few days to a week until you get to all the kitchen boxes and get stuff unpacked.

Do the same for the bathroom and bedroom: Have a box (or two) for each. Again, basics like a shower curtain, a few towels, etc. Bedroom: an extra set of sheets, a light blanket or two, some pillows.

If you have some essentials you can get to quickly, it will make the move less stressful for everyone. You will be worn out those first few days after the move. Having some basics handy (without having to open 100 boxes to find the can opener) will really help!

Stock your fridge with LOTS of gatorade, soft drinks & LOTS of ice. Have some plastic cups handy. Buy your movers lunch. It's only a few dollars & they will be happy, well hydrated and nicer taking care of your belongings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or