Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:43 PM

184 posts, read 234,857 times

Advertisements

Are these trailers good for furniture? Do you just stack it all on top of each other ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:48 PM

797 posts, read 1,750,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia130 View Post
Are these trailers good for furniture? Do you just stack it all on top of each other ?
Basically yes you pack everything on top of each other I am still debating if this is the company we want to use...

Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 AM

389 posts, read 916,840 times
The trailers are great for furniture since the trailer itself is so much taller than the typical U-Haul moving trucks. You would definitely want to have moving blankets of some kind -- we bought a bunch off of craigslist several years ago (and kept them for future moves), but also set aside old worn-out comforters, blankets, sheets, towels, whatever -- just wrap your furniture edges with the blankets so that nothing rubs against them. You will also want tie-downs so that you can keep shifting to a minimum. There are places within the trailer that allow for attaching the tie-downs (or rope).

Again, the idea is to pack your portion of the trailer as tight as possible. Shifting of boxes and furniture is what causes problems.

We just moved a week ago using ABF for the third time. Hubby found some slight rubbing issues and realizes he simply did not pack it as well this time around. We also found just two items that were broken -- a candle holder and a small ramekin dish. Not bad when you consider all of the other stuff we had in that trailer.

Our biggest issue this time around was all the delay on the SoCal end of having the trailer dropped off and then picked up. We were quoted 5-7 business days between our location in SoCal and our new location (Nashville, TN). Trailer was picked up late in the afternoon on a Wednesday and delivered to the new location by noon the following Wednesday, so really it was 4 business days of traveling -- not bad at all! Still, we had arrived at our new place late Sunday, so it was a few days before we had furniture to sit on.

We love the lack of hassle. Yes, we have to pack (and unpack) the trailer, but my hubby likes the control of that. If anything gets damaged or broken, he knows whose fault it is. We didn't have to worry about mechanical breakdowns, planning fuel fill-ups, planning for large hotel parking lots --- none of that stuff. We continue to recommend ABF to anyone who asks about our moving process.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
We used an ABF Relocube when we moved from IND to SEA. It was pretty cheap and I think the biggest selling point was that they would store the cube at their depot for a reasonable cost. Since we had no idea where we would be living or how long we would need to be without our junk, this was great. My husband packed the cube himself and the items arrived on time and were undamaged in transit. We would definitely do it again.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM

105 posts, read 171,498 times
I used a Upack trailer for a recent move from Philadelphia to West TN. I used about 14 ft of the 26 ft trailer. I hired some local guys to pack it. They weren't pros, but did pretty good job. Used A LOT of racket straps to hold everything in place. Stored my stuff for a month in the trailer for an extra $350. Nothing broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues