Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:40 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times

Advertisements

I will be moving housing a lot over the next year or so and I want to get a PMB, I was just wondering if anybody has any information about getting one of these? I have been searching and can't seem to find any information on them.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 AM

396 posts, read 732,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I will be moving housing a lot over the next year or so and I want to get a PMB, I was just wondering if anybody has any information about getting one of these? I have been searching and can't seem to find any information on them.

Thanks!
Do you mean a Post Office Box? aka PO Box?

I've never heard of a PMB.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Nope, its called a Personal Mailbox, its something similar to a PO Box, but its a real looking address and you can use it on your drivers license and car regristration and stuff. It will be perfect for me as I could be moving to different places quite often and it would save me the hassle of worrying about where my bills are going.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
PMB's (Private Mail Box) are from places like the UPS Store, Postal Annex, etc. They are just mailbox rental stores. There are other PMB's from places like virtual/executive offices that offer much more services (at a cost). The key to using PMB's is the stability of the operator. You don't want unknown place renting mailboxes that goes belly-up and your mail gets returned to sender. The post office regs require that only usps boxes carry "P.O. Box" or "Box", all others must have "PMB" and the actual street address. The Post office would be "John Doe, P.O. Box 00001, City, State 01010" The PMB would be "John Doe, 123 Main Street, PMB 1010, City, state, Zip".

Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
its a real looking address and you can use it on your drivers license and car regristration and stuff.
Just for the record, in California you can use a PO Box on your drivers license and you can even use it as your mailing address on your car registration - I do!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM

really? I didn't know that! I'll be moving to Los Angeles, do you think it is a statewide law or a county law? A PO Box would be really nice although the PMB accept UPS deliveries which could lead to being much more convienent.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:18 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
I've had a box and the UPS Store since 2002. The address is 123 Main St, #111, City, State, Zip. A few years ago they made noise about requiring it to say 123 Main St PMB 111 but nothing ever came of it. Seriously, it would be a pain in the butt to get everyone who mails me to change the address format. Some computer systems even decide for themselves how to handle the box/suite number. Anyway, I still get my mail whether its addressed to Box 111, #111, Suite 111, etc. And being in a UPS store is nice because they will accept any kind of package and keep it safe.

I don't use it for my voter registration because I live in a neighboring city to the mailbox. I don't want any issues with being accused of voter fraud by registering to vote in a place where I don't actually live.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM

244 posts, read 814,439 times
I too opened a mailbox at the UPS Store when I relocated. It also came in handy when I needed to receive packages. Prices vary depending on how long you want it open, business or personal type, etc. Sometimes certain locations will have their mailbox prices displayed on the UPS Store's website.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
A PMB costs a lot more than a POB (post off ice box), from the post office. However, they are also much more private.

Under the Freedom of Information Act, anyone can obtain your physical address associated with a POB from the post office, just fill out a card and pay a small fee, about $3. On the other hand, a PMB--private mail box, is just that---private. Although you do have to give ID and a valid, physical address, they won't release your physical address without a court order, police inquiry, something like that.

When we moved many years ago, we had our mail forwarded to a post office box, and were shocked at how our physical address leaked out to everyone. For privacy, I prefer a PMB.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:55 PM

I'd like to thank everybody for posting here, I had no clue what it was actually , only the name.

Anyways for anybody else in the future that might be interested.

PMB are generally done through UPS, you get yourself an address that looks like a regular street address. For the typical size box, it will cost 150 dollars for the year but they also do 6 and 8 month contracts but I cannot remember the pricing. They will accept any carrier and also will hold packages that can't fit in your box for up to 5 days. You are also able to call in have them check to see if you have mail instead of driving to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues