U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:13 AM

797 posts, read 1,121,430 times

Advertisements

One of our biggest fears is catching bed bugs from the moving truck. We know about 6 people that have caught bed bugs, 2 were from buying used furniture and the other 4 got them from moving trucks. That being said I know many more people that have moved and never saw a single bed bug... But it still freaks me out nonetheless!

Is this a real concern? Or more me just over-thinking and worrying too much? Anything I can do to prevent potential bed bug contamination? Wrap boxes in plastic or trash bags? What about mattresses?

How would I even know if the truck had bed bugs? I hear they are so small you don't see them till you have an infestation....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Rent a Kerosene Heater from Home Depot for about $20. High heat kills bedbugs and is the easiest way to take care of them. Place the heater in the center of the rear of the truck, set the heater at 120 degrees, partially close the door and let it go for 90 minutes to 2 hours which will kill any bedbugs/eggs. The heat will not harm the aluminum interior of the truck and allowing a touch of ventilation with the partially opened door will not harm the rented equipment.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:18 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,837,302 times
My husband and I have rentals and our tenants has had bedbugs before and moved their items out using uhauls so yes, they could be present (more likely the eggs) Its a concern for us also, as we have a upcoming move. we actually will spray the truck before putting items in it. 99% rubbing alcohol (walmart has this) kills on contact. Our exterminator suggested this long time ago, we spray our feet after being in any rental also.

A tenant who worked at rent a center said they use to try the heat method on their trucks (as kyle above mentioned) and he said it didnt work so they now spray them.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:25 AM

2,632 posts, read 1,531,479 times
Has anyone had or heard of this problem with big commercial movers like Mayflower etc.?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 AM

126 posts, read 245,395 times
Another thing to worry about... waiting to hear about the big commercial movers also

Old 05-19-2015, 12:00 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,917,307 times
I've used big commercial movers 3 times and never had a problem with bed bugs.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:47 AM

2,632 posts, read 1,531,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I've used big commercial movers 3 times and never had a problem with bed bugs.
Good to know -- but next time I move I will make a point of asking the company whether they've ever had the problem, what they did about it, and whether their insurance covers it if it happens to me.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:38 PM

797 posts, read 1,121,430 times
Just wanted to update:

I actually emailed someone who works in the entomology dept at Perdue to see what precautions I could take and if bed bugs on moving trucks should be a valid concern. He said that the likelihood of catching bedbugs is "improbable" and "unlikely"

Old 05-26-2015, 01:08 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,944,669 times
Here is the "Ask Betty Bed Bug Blog": Ask Betty Bed Bug: Bed Bugs and Rental Trucks and Bedbugged! How to avoid picking up bed bugs from a moving truck | BrickUnderground

I would spray to be on the safe side. They have serious problems here where we live due to the illegal population. Until moving here, I never saw "bedbug spray" and all the stores here have it. Luckily, kids are in school and husband has strict orders on avoiding possible infestations. Just yuck!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
Just wanted to update:

I actually emailed someone who works in the entomology dept at Perdue to see what precautions I could take and if bed bugs on moving trucks should be a valid concern. He said that the likelihood of catching bedbugs is "improbable" and "unlikely"
Based on what? Self moving companies like U-Haul, Budget and Penske do not clean out trucks between uses (it's up to the renter or face a financial penalty) and items such as moving pads are rentable and similarly not treated either between use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues