U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:18 AM

221 posts, read 187,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
I lean more towards you have to live more than you work.
This is precisely why I'm trying to think long and hard about the decision. As previously stated, all my living decisions were always based on work. Because of that, I already feel like I wasted the past 5 years by living in locations that were not conducive to making friends, being active, or having fun. On top of that, I'm a pretty shy person. Getting out and meeting people is especially tough for me, and I can't help but wonder if I would have had more motivation to try new things and push past my shyness if I were living in a place that provided more opportunity. While I do have a boyfriend now, I still struggle with making friends and enjoying a healthy social life outside of him and his friends. Again, I blame a big part of that on where I live. So while my boyfriend is obviously a major factor in this decision because I want to be closer to him, it is also a factor in that it is encouraging me to want to create my own social circle/life outside of him. It'd be a win-win for both my social and dating life.

I keep asking myself as a previous poster did, if I would want to move this badly if it weren't for my boyfriend. My heart tells me yes of course, but the logical side of me wonders if I'm just thinking that because I know it should be the right answer. I feel like if snow/ice/winter were completely removed from the equation, I would not have any reservations. I can handle traffic (or so I think) but bad weather is a serious concern here. TONS of people do it every day though, a lot of business people live out in the suburbs and commute to Minneapolis. Can it really be that bad?

Also, to the posters who have alluded to finding other careers...it is definitely something on my radar. I've had my eyes open for awhile, applying casually to a few things here and there. Deciding to leave teaching is a whole different can of worms (I've posted about it in the past).

Does anyone else feel like their life is this unorganized? (as a reference, I'm 28...I feel too old for this )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 01:34 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,732,087 times
I've moved many times without a job lined up. My experience is that it works out. If you were all of a sudden thrust into Minneapolis, you would find a way to make it work.

I know a lot of people advise caution in everything. But, what's the worst thing that can happen? You get a job at the local Starbucks? You aren't the kind of person to become homeless under a bridge. Right? And if you have to move in with roommates, you instantly have company. And if you find you hate their company, you move.

In fact, I was thinking it might be fun for you to see if you can get a job in a bar, or even a Starbucks - somewhere where you are around people and can make friends with your co-workers. If you move to Minneapolis, and get a job there, you will meet people who live there.

You can always justify it as being a way to make money until a teaching job lines up for you where you want to work. But substitute teaching seems kind of lonely. It doesn't seem conducive to meeting fun co-workers you can go have a drink with after work, etc. But, working in a TGI Fridays looks like a blast LOL.

Maybe bartender school?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:43 AM

221 posts, read 187,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But substitute teaching seems kind of lonely. It doesn't seem conducive to meeting fun co-workers you can go have a drink with after work, etc. But, working in a TGI Fridays looks like a blast LOL.
You are SO right. Substitute teaching IS lonely. You're at a different school all the time, the only people you learn to recognize are the secretaries that check you in. When it really comes down to it, I don't think a serving job or a coffee shop would be all that bad, aside from the lack of benefits and little pay. Who knows, maybe it would be worth it to make some friends out of the deal.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:12 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,732,087 times
Starbuck's is supposed to be a great company to work for. You could work your way up the ladder. They have great benefits, health and 401K. You even get a free pound of coffee a week LOL:

http://www.starbucks.com/careers/working-at-starbucks

And you could probably transfer anywhere.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM

9,019 posts, read 9,447,133 times
I say move to live where you will be happy. It's not like you are looking to move out of the metro area or to another state. Get out of the suburbs and enjoy life!

I did the same thing. I lived in a northern area of Phoenix and was finding that I wasn't going to events or really doing much of anything because I was so far from where the action is. I just didn't want to drive 30-50 miles one way, so I stayed home. And got bored. And then decided to do something about it and moved. Now things I want to do and see are much more accessible and I am much happier and meeting new people now.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:33 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,798,709 times
I would say job first, then a permanent apartment second.
I lived in a motel for about a year and a half after moving where I am now only due to airmen from the nearby AFB snatching up rentals like hot-cakes if you weren't on it quick enough yourself.

After that horrifying, first-timer experience, I'm now looking at just getting myself a small camper to live in if/when I decide to bug-out again.

And that's another thing before moving anywhere, always make sure there isn't a nearby military installation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues