U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 PM

221 posts, read 190,084 times

Advertisements

I have a general question I would like to hear people's opinions on (but you'll have to read my story first ):

In the past 5 years, I have moved 3 times. Each time I moved was because of a job (I'm a teacher and due to various circumstances, I have never taught in one school for more than 2 years...can be quite common for newer teachers until they get tenured). All of my moving happened in the same state, in the same metro area (to give an idea, I live in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. There are a LOT of suburbs surrounding Minneapolis-St. Paul, but the northern suburbs and the southern suburbs are a good hour apart at least, so it is a decent sized metro area). I never felt particularly attached to any place I lived, so moving was never an issue (just a pain!). The schools where I have gotten jobs were also pretty far apart so it felt like moving was a necessity.

When I first moved to Minneapolis 5 years ago, I didn't have a full-time teaching job so I picked an apartment somewhat centrally located so I could sub in a variety of districts. I chose Minneapolis which seemed really fun, but because I was new to the area and had an unconventional job where I didn't have coworkers, I had a hard time meeting people and feel like my year in such a vibrant area was wasted. After that, my first full-time job I landed was in a school much further south and I moved there to be closer. As a young, single person at the time, I hated living so far south of Minneapolis and I hated living in a suburb. Two years later, I got a job in a different school way far north. So again, I moved to be closer. This was no different. I still disliked being so far from the action and youth of Minneapolis and I still disliked living in a suburb (such a hard place to meet friends, find a significant other, or even have any fun!). At this point, I was still single, still bored, and still hadn't made any new friends.

Now is where I struggle with my next decision. I am no longer single (yay!) but I am far away from where my boyfriend lives (a really cool part of Minneapolis that always has awesome and exciting things going on and places to go) and I am still feeling isolated way up north in that second suburb I moved to 2 years ago. I no longer have the job that brought me here, so there is no reason for me to stay. My issue lies in the fact that I don't have a full-time teaching job lined up for next fall YET. I've applied to several, but it's not uncommon that they don't start interviewing and making decisions until AFTER this school year is out. I've been hired anywhere from the middle of July to more towards the end of August. It sucks.

Is it strange to find an apartment and move BEFORE knowing where I could be working next year? Several people have told me they think that's weird. I would normally think it's weird too, as I've always based my living situation on my job, but at this point I have my heart set on living in Minneapolis (I have several areas picked out that I'm focusing on). I'm trying to really make sure I understand what could happen- if I get a job somewhat further out from the city, I will have a not so nice commute to work. Typically this wouldn't bother me, but when I consider winter I wonder if this could be a bad decision (anyone familiar with Minnesota winters knows what I'm talking about). But at the same time, I know I don't want to live in a suburb anymore so if I find out I get a job somewhere, that's not going to change my opinion. I'm not suddenly going to decide to live in suburb to be closer. However, it might sway me to focus on a specific area of Minneapolis that might make the commute a little better. But places go fast (like, REALLY fast) and I have a few leads on some places I like. I don't want to risk waiting and then not finding anything.

I'm in limbo. Job, apartment, job, apartment. The timelines are not lining up and it's stressful. So tell me:

Is it weird to move before you secure a job?

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:07 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
I think you should move to the cool part of Minneapolis, if you can afford it. Even if the BF doesn't work out, if you can meet new people through him, you'll have a new set of friends.

So, to the logistics...

It may be difficult to rent a place before you have a source of income. So, at first, you may need to find a roommate situation, or stay in an extended stay hotel, until you get a source of income that landlords will accept. If you can get a month-to-month situation, or even airbnb room, something temporary, so it's easy to move when you want to, that would be great.

I'm also wondering if you might want to consider looking for another type of job that is more stable and reliable and one that is more in demand everywhere. You have a degree, so there are a lot of companies that would love to have you, even if the job is completely unrelated to teaching.

I don't know if nursing would interest you at all, but they are always in demand, and make good money. There are many different types of companies, though, that will take you and train you because you are young and have a degree.

So, I vote to move there. Then, look for a job there. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:08 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,007,041 times
In this economy, I suggest that you don't move until you have a job lined up.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:12 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,137,408 times
If it was me, I'd wait until getting the job. Otherwise you might end up with a really bad commute, as you pointed out, and with a lease you can't get out of for a year.

Meanwhile, since you aren't working you have plenty of time to drive to that really cool part of town, to see your new boyfriend! Or, maybe you can find an apartment with no lease that you could rent month to month at an affordable price (if such apartments even exist).

Old 05-27-2015, 06:45 PM

4,506 posts, read 3,906,881 times
Job. Hopefully you can get in a stable position soon.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:00 AM

221 posts, read 190,084 times
I'd like to clarify something. I don't know if this changes the opinions of those of you that said to secure the job first...

As a teacher, if I don't get a full-time job for the fall, subbing is always a fall back. There is no interview process, and if a district needs subs, literally anyone who applies will get the job (with a legit teaching license, of course). It obviously doesn't make as much money as a full-time job would, but it is livable. I don't know what is considered a decent amount of cushioning as far as money in savings goes, but I do think I have enough to help supplement a subbing income.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:12 AM

8,589 posts, read 3,830,147 times
I don't know about other areas, but here you don't have a choice. Apartments won't approve your application if you don't have a source of income. With my last apartment, I even had to provide bank statements to prove that I get a salary.

I wouldn't dare move without a job unless I had at least six months of living expenses saved up.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,323,056 times
I would wait to move until you find out where you will be teaching.

What are your chances of getting hired for the Minneapolis public schools? Frequently the big urban school districts have more openings than the suburban districts, so your chances of getting a permanent position might be better. Since fewer teachers want to work in urban schools, there may also be less competition for the openings that exist. At least that's the way it is in Upstate NY.
  • My neice got a temp position that turned into a permanent, tenure track position in the Buffalo Public Schools immediately after completing her certification (she already had a BA in a non-teaching field).
  • A co-worker's fiance also got a job in the BPS immediately after graduation and has been there for 2 academic years, although he's still only temporary. He's practically assured of returning next school year, and may even be in line for a permanent position, depending upon budgeting.
  • The suburban schools are much smaller and the teaching staffs much more stable in this area as they seldom use temp teachers. There aren't going to be openings unless somebody retires.
If you want to live in a particular area of a large metro area where commuting is a hassle, it seems more sensible to look at getting a job closer to that area.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:19 AM

5,055 posts, read 6,007,041 times
OP, your addition doesn't change my opinion.

I understand your desire to get out of there, but I would submit that you're being too optimistic in this economy. It's likely you could end up somewhere off the beaten path, which would make getting there or to other sub positions a nightmare in the winter if you don't live in the area. I live south of you in Iowa, so I understand how bad it can get out here in the winter. I live about 15 minutes away from work for that reason.

I know you won't get hired until the last minute, but that goes with the territory until you get something tenured.

In days past, I would've said to go for it because you'll get subbing, no matter what, but with all the cut-backs up there (and here, too), you just can't count on getting enough work to sustain you.

If you didn't have a boyfriend, would you be this motivated to move right now? Just something to think about.

If moving is that important to you, why don't you look for other work: tutoring, private school positions, etc.? You might find something that pays well enough that you can quit public school teaching and no longer worry about obtaining tenure or securing a contract for the year.

In any case, good luck! I hope you hear soon about a good position for this fall.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 AM

487 posts, read 565,175 times
Basically, what it boils down to is this simple equation - is living in the trendy area you want worth a long commute? If so, move wherever you want. If not, wait.

I can't stand the suburban area where my job is, and I hate commuting. I hate the suburban area more than I hate traffic, so I live farther away and dealt with it (until I was able to talk them into letting me work from home, but obviously not an option for a teacher).

There is always a trade off in life. I lean more towards you have to live more than you work; however, winter is a very serious consideration. Think very carefully about what will make you happier and make your choice accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues