Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:48 PM

50 posts, read 65,875 times

Advertisements

Yes, but not because I didn't like it. I was just bored of driving the same roads and seeing the same places after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:05 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I mean, maybe you left the city because you didn't like the place altogether, or your job, or the people, or you couldn't live with your parents anymore... Whatever the case, I mean just up and leaving, without a new job lined up, without a place to live until you find one, etc. Whatever your story is, tell it.
YES! I left CT when it began spiraling down in the 2000s - high taxes, corporations were leaving, high unemployment...picked a place that (according to BLS numbers) had better employment prospects for middle-aged people. Packed up a U-Haul, dumped the house, drove down, and never looked back. Stayed in an extended stay for two and a half months, got a much better job than the one I'd most recently had.

Never looked back!

Still here. One of the better moves I ever made. Whatever you do, do it by analysis: it would be terrible to jump from a frying pan into a fire!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I left a town when my family helped me out. Couldn't find temp work & saw a lot of prejudice against folks of color. The last straw was when I was interviewing for a job, (which I probably could have gotten) & 2 Mexican folks came in. It was a nonprofit, an area I had worked in most of my life, & their response disgusted me. They said not to worry, I wouldn't have to work with "those" people. I blew up & told them I would never work with an organization that had such prejudices. As I said, my family helped & soon I was on my way to San Francisco, which I loved.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:06 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
in 2006 i moved from wilkes-barre pa to Phoenix az because i couldn't tolerate pennsylvania anymore.

It was during the housing boom and my job was in high demand, so it wasn't too much of a risk. My first day there had 4 interviews lined up and after the 3rd job offer I cancelled the fourth. It's a bit different world in my field now.

My wife and i had a 5 year plan to stay in phoenix before going elsewhere, 8 years later we moved to raleigh, and 8 months later to Wilmington, nc.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:16 PM

733 posts, read 853,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I mean, maybe you left the city because you didn't like the place altogether, or your job, or the people, or you couldn't live with your parents anymore... Whatever the case, I mean just up and leaving, without a new job lined up, without a place to live until you find one, etc. Whatever your story is, tell it.
Used to do this all the time, until the economy was destroyed and the mortgage crazy-fest began.

Used to be, you could easily make a "lateral move" pretty much anywhere in the U.S., excluding S.F., N.Y., San Diego and other "swank" places. But you could move from Anywhere USA to Anywheres USA easily, get a similar job, and live. Simple medical care was reasonable, rents were reasonable, more companies (good ones) had benefits and okay wages. Not great, just okay. Enough to live on, simply. It wasn't some paradise, back in the day. But it was easier.

I moved 12 times in 23 years, sampling the USA.

Can't do it easily, now. Things have become so complex, so expensive.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:13 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Are we talking about getting up and leaving at only a few days notice or with preparation? I've moved several times without a job, but it's usually been planned in advance.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:52 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,959 times
I have really wanted to get up and leave, in my current location. It is just so hard and difficult living here. I realize, the key, for getting out of this ****hole, is to getting through my program.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:39 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
When I got out of the navy in 1999 I decided to move to Las Vegas. I drove across country and slept in my ford bronco I had at the time. I got to Las Vegas about 5:30 in the morning on a Monday. By 11am I had a job and the job gave me a lead on a furnished apt.

I don't think for a second it would be that easy today but at the time my qualifications were in high demand and my job interview was pretty short and sweet and was hired on the spot.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:36 PM

82 posts, read 88,393 times
I'm packing up my car with whatever will fit and driving to Colorado at the end of next month. I have been saving for a few years and have a couple of housing options open. I'm going to get a storage unit, pack everything that won't go in my car and then come back in 3-4 months with a big truck and drive it to Colorado. I can't wait to leave the south. I'm on no contact with what's alive of my biological family. I'm only 22 so I figure now is a better time than ever. I'm hoping to take a road trip to California in the fall months as well. I can't wait to explore the great american west.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:02 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
When I was 17, I bought a ticket on a Greyhound bus and went from Minnesota to California, only knowing that my cousins were going to let me stay with them for awhile. I went Bakersfield to San Jose several years later after I graduated from high school to do something different other than stay in Bakersfield. I went from San Jose to Seattle in 2001 because of high rents, but I already had a job and a place to live lined up. In 2008 I lost my job and couldn't find another, so I made the mistake of moving back to Minnesota to live with some relatives for awhile. Worst mistake I ever made. Besides going back to the small town I hated and left at 17, I felt like a failure. So with no job and planning to live in my car, I ended up back in Washington state. Now I'm close to retirement and when that happens, I hope I can afford to buy a minivan and travel around the country, living out of my vehicle and sleeping in campgrounds. If I find someplace I like, I'll settle down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues