Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 04:40 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,046 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
In about six weeks i will be moving from Missouri back to California. We had been planning to rent a u-haul and do it ourselves, as when we did the move here four years ago and used colonial van lines we had an awful experience.

We're now considering doing the movers since the drive will probably take a lot longer (hauling a car too). We sold most of our items and have the basics: bedroom set; couch/loveseat, desk, bookcase, tv/console, and of course boxes and some other small items.

I'm looking for a good reliable company that isn't outrageous. I don't want to pay $7000 to move this stuff. I think it was about 2,500-ish on our first move and i'm still waiting for quotes.

Can anyone give rec's for good companies you've used previously?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:54 AM

488 posts, read 856,814 times
I'm moving from Missouri to Arizona about the same time. I haven't done the actual move or booking yet, but I can tell you from reading on these forums, and all the quotes I've gotten so far, I would recommend looking into ABF. They have a Relo-cube option, which is a cube that you pack, and then they pick it up and drive it across country (just like PODS, but PODS is like twice the price). They also have a trailer option where you pay by linear feet used in the truck.

The only mover I was able to get a quote even close to what they were charging was Atlas Smart Moves, which will cost about $600 more than the quote I got for Relo-Cubes if I factor in having to pay people to help me load and unload.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:09 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,375,189 times
Get a quote from a moving company. We used Mayflower the last 2 times.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:45 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
We used Atlas and they did great, but the important thing imo is the local office.

All the major moving companies charge the same thing within a few hundred dollars.

Choose someone who has been in business for a long time in your area and check their online reviews.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:14 PM

40 posts, read 57,866 times
I used Old Dominion to move from NY to GA. (985 mi) around $1500 for 28ft trailer, we loaded and unloaded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues