U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 AM

19 posts, read 12,102 times

Advertisements

So in accordance to my two other posts about moving to Canada and Norway on cheap rent, I am considering to just move around the place, woods, just live like that. I would sell everything I have, computer and laptop and everything and just do it. I don't know what I would do when my money would run out or when winter would start in Norway and Canada.

So what are your thoughts and advice about it? I just really, really want to be in Norway or Canada. It is irrational, but I just want to. Particularly Norway. Let's say I would have around 10000eu to spend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:23 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,909,908 times
I haven't read your other two posts but I would start with the immigration requirements for those countries.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:02 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,860,780 times
Immigrant homeless. What a crazy idea.

Just take a vacation there and get it out of your system.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Immigrant homeless. What a crazy idea.

Just take a vacation there and get it out of your system.
Why is that so crazy? Most people in Norway can speak English, same in Canada.

I'm European, I've a passport, I could enter Norway without a problem, I think same with Canada, but I have to look that up still.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:56 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,824,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowylover View Post
Why is that so crazy? Most people in Norway can speak English, same in Canada.

I'm European, I've a passport, I could enter Norway without a problem, I think same with Canada, but I have to look that up still.
So what are you asking for? You have it all figured out. Just do it. Sell you stuff on Craigslist right now and go.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
So what are you asking for? You have it all figured out. Just do it. Sell you stuff on Craigslist right now and go.
I'm asking for any advice for the idea, any thoughts, maybe personal experience, anything.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,909,908 times
So, you'll just be traveling there until your money runs out? Then, you'll be homeless. Is that your plan? See, that doesn't sound like any dream most of us have had. Now, I saw people move into Arizona in the US because it was their dream to live somewhere that warm in the winter. They couldn't find a job that paid enough to live on and ended up begging either on the corner or going door-to-door but that is not legal everywhere.

Isn't a passport for visiting and not relocation? Will you have a home to go back to when you go broke. Have you lived in the woods previously and have the needed equipment to do that? You'll be living basically as a survivalist so you'll want to research that. Is what you are considering doing actually going to be legal?

So, you need figure out if what you are considering is legal, need to have equipment and knowledge for living in the woods, need a plan for when the money runs out. That would seem to cover the basics of your idea.

You must realize that this is a "dream" and they usually don't live up to what they are in your head. You would be risking a lot in doing this IF you could even pull it off. Add to that research weather conditions and how short summer is in these cold climates. I spent a year in Alaska and had 3 warm months and I was in Anchorage and that is a warmer area in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues