U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:22 AM

5,046 posts, read 5,959,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
To those suggesting ABF, I did a quick online quote for them for a "studio" amount of stuff: $1300!!!
Did you also get a quote for their relocubes?

I've forgotten my measurements, but if I downsized to what fit into two relocubes and sold the rest. You could cap it at one if you wanted.

Relocubes are small: they fit in an average sized parking spot.

Here's some photos of a gal's move (not mine!):

https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...7lQrNv-4ODA%3D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,861,411 times
Did you check out the price of the Old Dominion? You (or whomever you hire) pack-it, they just move it.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:19 AM

2,524 posts, read 984,470 times
Maybe I'm not doing the quotes right? It's just a quick online form that asks for size of house, studio on up.
Maybe I ought to phone them and describe the items?
This stuff would fit in one room easy. So I put in studio.

Didn't know about relo cubes, just put in the info without that distinction. Didn't try Old Dominion yet.
Tomorrow being MON I shall phone them and see if I get a different quote. That may change things.

For those who have used ABF, Old Dominion, do they do that, give an estimated quote on the phone or must they come assess in person?

I THINK Perhaps the reason the quote seems high is the DESTINATION. Maybe folks going to less remote areas get lower quotes, that makes sense.

I spoke to a fella at the animal shelter there yesterday who said fresh produce is kinda hard to get as trucks don't come down there often. I bet the location is why the high quotes

Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM

I did the online quotes. It seemed like it was around $500 or so for two for my move (Cols, OH to Des Moines). I don't remember, exactly, but I know it was affordable.

That's true: if you're not near any of their hubs, it might not be in your budget.

I went that way because I had three weeks between when my home in OH sold and when I could close on the one in Des Moines. Otherwise, I would've driven out with a 16' truck rental truck. Hired a guy to help me unload. Had my realtor take me to the bus station. Ride the bus back to Cols. Have a friend pick me up, and then drive my car to Iowa, or some combination thereof.

And, no, I didn't want to try to hang onto the wheel if I towed my car. There are heavy cross-winds on I-80. I would've done it in my 20s, not now.

It would've made for a long week, but I'm not made of money, so it all had to be pretty much do-it-myself. I'm also in my 50s and glad it worked out the way it did. I wasn't looking forward to two round trips in the same week.

People who are married and/or have large, extended families who help with moves like this simply have no clue as to how hard these sorts of projects can be for one person. Still, where there is a will, there is a way!

Last edited by Meemur; 06-21-2015 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 01:49 PM

468 posts, read 517,925 times
When you are putting in your locations, try putting in Tallahassee instead of Carabelle (I think that's where you said you were going?)
Often it is cheaper to ship to their 'hub' and pick your stuff up there.
You could rent a U-Haul truck in Tallahassee for the day to get your belongings from Tallahassee to your place, then return the truck to Tallahassee. Should take 3-4 hours max.
My husband would be happy to drive the truck and we could help you load and unload
Just throwing out options......

Old 06-21-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
My husband would be happy to drive the truck and we could help you load and unload
Does your husband know you volunteered him?

Seriously, that's why it's good to spend a little time networking before the move. Helpers are wonderful!

Old 06-21-2015, 04:24 PM

2,524 posts, read 984,470 times
No kidding, Meemur, and strangers offering help is touchingly awesome and I am very thankful.
I hate needing help, it's embarrassing . Never ask for it, never have really needed to in the past as I had husbands and money. Now I have neither .

Like you say, those who have a support system cannot understand how it is be without one.
I never had a family (abusive psychos), just husbands and kids, 2nd husband died, kids suffer from entitlement syndrome (my fault) and are not into helping their old mother unless it suits their mood at the moment.

Ex: My oldest daughter (who has a husband who makes good money and is soon to be an NP making even more) asked if I'd give her the money from the sale of the heavy dresser and desk (forgot about that though I am SITTING at it as I type ; am going to sell it).
See, I had asked her if she wanted it, but she would have to come get it as she is in VA, I in NC, she said that would be too much hassle so since I offered it to her first, she should get the money if I sell it instead

Ok I'm calling ABF and Old Dominion tomorrow, using Tallahassee for a destination (thanks mollybygolly) and seeing if that changes the quote.

Will report back (not because I think my case is so interesting but in case someone else is reading and in the same boat; there's another thread in this forum, similar situation I read) after talking to ABF and OD.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:42 PM

That was one of the mistakes from my last move -- not asking for (and hiring when necessary) enough help.

It is worth getting help with the actual loading, final cleaning, and unloading. If I have to do this again, I will budget more for that, even though the next move should be local (less than 25 miles).

I could've handled it when I was younger, but I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I have limited strength in each 24-hour period, and when I exceed that, it can take several days to recover, not several hours!

Yes, report back after you phone folks. I'm interested, and I'm sure others are, too.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:53 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,567,011 times
Quote:
Hi folks!

I have a very small amount of furniture, two bookshelves of hardcover books/DVDs/cds, no big nor heavy stuff like entertainment centers or huge couches or anything hard to lift.
Picture like a small 1BR apt, minimal stuff, no clutter. Sofa, 2 twin beds, one dresser. The apt is upstairs, though and tricky to maneuver around stairwell.

My question is this: I have no one to drive a UHaul, driving one would be beyond my ability as I suck at driving even my small Toyota (never had an accident but trust me I suck) nor load one though with such a small am't of stuff I am loath to hire a professional mover.
The move would be from NC to panhandle of FL, 500 or so miles.

I got online quotes from Atlas for $2700!!

I won't be moving until next Jan (though I'm buying the condo now), so I have some time to figure this out.
I can't afford more than $1000 to move the stuff. I thought maybe I'd not take any furniture and buy when I get there but the place I'm going is a town so small it's 50+mi form thrift stores (where I buy everything) and Goodwill won't deliver so how would I get the stuff moved as I buy it piece by piece?
Plus I'd still have to move the books, small TV, CDs, DVD player etc which the latter could go in my car but the boxes of books wouldn't fit, nor clothes, not that I have a ton but my car is a Corolla.

Any ideas? I'm lousy at seeing possibilities so there may be an obvious way I'm not thinking of?

Thanks so much!
You have such a small amount of stuff. For what you'll spend on a trailer, or movers....I'd just buy stuff there. Sell your items there, and buy in Florida.

Even if the thrift stores won't deliver, perhaps you can buy from another store that will....And there are many discount stores these days for bed sets and such.

Then you only have to contend with what is in your car. Or, you could get by with those really small trailers, about the size of a VW. Go down in person and see

Not to be nosy....But, Are you sure you aren't able to go sooner...I mean Florida..It would be hard for me to wait, and you are going to be paying for two places

Old 06-21-2015, 05:02 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,567,011 times
Quote:
I would love to just buy the minimal furniture I need, when I get there and ship the books, I thought of that.
Two reasons that won't work are:

1. most of these are rare, old expensive books (only possessions I have that I care about) that I'm kind of scared to ship, damage etc if box breaks. Also all hardcover and heavy, won't be cheap to ship.

2. Unlike where I am now, with awesome multiple Goodwills and other thrift stores galore, very nearby, this place is 50+miles from a city that would have thrift stores. So how the heck would I get the stuff from the thrift store to the condo?

I also thought of what one poster suggested, using college kids type thing as loaders/drivers but how would they get back to NC from FL? Driving the UHaul BOTH ways would cost a ton of money in miles and gas.

CCcgirl I clicked on those links, the one guy with a truck may work, but it seems he hauls trailers/boats, maybe renting a trailer from UHaul and him driving it would work...but would he load the stuff as well...I'm going to phone him, thanks!

Arrrrrgh
Well, since you say your books are so valuable that sort of throws a monkey wrench into strangers hauling them. Can you make a couple trips and haul just your books...I'm talking over the next few months.
Media rate is still very cheap for USP....But, you could get a very small trailer...might be worth buying a small trailer....Go looking, see if you can't find something you can pull with your car. that would b your answer on how to get things after you get there. Then, sell the trailer.

Or, if you have a friend that has a truck, have them follow you down...Treat them to a weekend there...and gas home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues