U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 PM

351 posts, read 543,106 times

Advertisements

I'm 68 years old and I want someone to drive a 26 foot U-Haul towing a car from NW AR to Las Vegas about 1,300 miles which will take 3 days and 2 nights. I'm just not strong or healthy enough to do it. What would be the best way to get someone to drive for me while I follow in another car? I know I buy all the meals and I will be sleeping at motel 6 with my wife and dog and I will pay for his own room. So how much should I give him at the end of the trip and how would I find someone to help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,962,090 times
If you can't find anyone, look into ABF U-Pack and hire loaders on both ends from Two Men and a Truck or similar service for your furniture. You and your wife go in your vehicle, unless you're not up to driving that.

Do you belong to a church? You might check there and get references for anyone you hire. It's getting really scary out there to find strangers to drive you. Someone bad could murder you and your wife and make off with your vehicle.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:34 AM

2,524 posts, read 984,931 times
lostsoul62 I started a thread on this topic as I am in same predicament (no one to help load nor drive), got loads of suggestions even two very kind offers of actual help so you probably will too.

I'm only going 500mi and a few states with a small am't of stuff; I'm going to phone ABF and Old Dominion tomorrow and see what I can find out as online quotes seemed crazy high, so if I were you I'd phone them for starters. I'll post in here if I find out anything worthwhile.

I'll keep checking this thread in case you get an idea not suggested in mine.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:53 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,947,409 times
I wonder with these situations, who is renting the truck, the people driving? I would have a lot of concerns with this and not just hire anyone and even references they give could be fraudulent. You definitely want to make sure all your liability insurance is in place on both your properties and the vehicle being driven.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:35 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,842,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I'm 68 years old and I want someone to drive a 26 foot U-Haul towing a car from NW AR to Las Vegas about 1,300 miles which will take 3 days and 2 nights. I'm just not strong or healthy enough to do it. What would be the best way to get someone to drive for me while I follow in another car? I know I buy all the meals and I will be sleeping at motel 6 with my wife and dog and I will pay for his own room. So how much should I give him at the end of the trip and how would I find someone to help me?
I'm curious what you mean by strong enough? It doesn't really require any more strength to drive a truck then a car. I would be more worried about the strength you are going to need to load the truck. Can't your wife drive the car while you drive the truck?

If not, then that's what moving companies are for. Labor is not cheap.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,517 posts, read 54,065,915 times
I know several people that have done this to help a friend or family member that's moving. The person moving just paid for their food, motel, and return flight. You can tow the car behind it and take the opportunity for a nice long visit, and for them to enjoy some nice scenery. I'd be concerned about paying a stranger for this, you may as well just hire a mover.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:29 PM

5,904 posts, read 5,253,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post

You will have to pay for his return trip. I would also think a minimum of $600 on top of that plus his meals.

I hope you have already asked yourself the most important question. Is what I am moving worth what I am paying to have it moved?

Old 06-21-2015, 04:27 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times
For what it would cost to get someone to do this, plus meals and trip home, plus the unknown...not knowing the person....I'd just pay a moving company. They have employees,..they load their own truck, their gas, their own expense for motel etc

You just have everything packed. And they unload at the other end. You pay the company and tip the drivers.

You'll get help with the logistics, that is part of what the company does....so you'll know when you have to be in Vegas....If you have family or a real estate agent or anyone who can meet them at your new place, that might be helpful, but again...they pack it so that they are delivering another persons stuff on the way..it is pretty fascinating how organized these moving companies are.

I cannot remember who we used, but there are several companies with good reputations. We comparison shopped.

It is the least stressful it can be...moving across country is lots of work just to sort and pack.
You could always hire a local moving company to pack for you, if your health impedes your doing that.

We had a four bedroom 2 story house....so lots of stuff. No breakage or trouble at all. We were very happy. Hope this helps.

Otherwise, perhaps if you know a friend from work, or church, or a neighbor..and could get something arranged...Probably lots of folks would love to go to Vegas for a weekend. I just wouldn't use total strangers.

Last edited by JanND; 06-21-2015 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 04:34 PM

2,524 posts, read 984,931 times
lostsoul62, peeps in my thread are suggesting carriers such as ABF and Old Dominion. The way they work is you hire someone to load the container on both ends, they move it from point A to B. No need to hire a driver.
I did online quotes and they were HIGH so I'm phoning them tomorrow; will report what I find out in case it helps you.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:42 PM

661 posts, read 809,925 times
Lots of liability issues when you pay for the rental and someone not listed on the rental contract does the driving.

Also - your homeowner or renter's insurance covers the value of your belongings at a fraction of their cost / value while it is being transported.

Finally - most people do not realize that when they rent a UHaul truck that neither their credit cards or their car insurance provide any coverage. And be aware that if you buy the insurance they peddle, a lot of the damage you might do to the truck isn't covered (hitting on overhead obstruction, for instance). Safemove covers the theft of the vehicle IF you were not negligent, but it doesn't cover your belongings lost to theft - you would be better off if the truck and all your stuff burned up.

I agree with others: either use a moving company, or use one of the transport services like Pods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues