U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:24 PM

797 posts, read 1,115,897 times

Advertisements

So I thought we were definitely going with ABF u-pack but now the closer we get to moving (no official date as of yet because we are still trying to find a place, but we are 99% sure we are going to get a particular place we applied to.. wont find out till Monday), the idea of having to buy all the supplies to secure everything, load the truck ourselves, etc.. just seems daunting!! So I started looking online for quotes for full service movers

I found this place called World Green Movers. They would provide full service moving for- get this- just $2600 from NH to CA!!! ABF U-pack is $4100 plus an additional $500 to have someone unload our stuff!!

Apparently the guy at world green said theyre running a special right now and he gave me some additional discounts.... it just seems wayyy too good to be true. Has anyone used this company?

He did say that they'll partition our things and someone else's belongings may be on the truck with ours. He also said that the trucks are only inspected once a month at the end of the month to check for things like bed bugs, roaches, etc.... We would be moving in the beginning of July so I guess we could get lucky, BUT the trucks come from Brooklyn NY... which, from what I have heard, is one of the worst locations for Bed bugs...

Am I over thinking this? Should I just book it since it is so cheap? He said that they are their own carriers, not brokers either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,999,008 times
I'd look at the details of the rate. Make sure the estimate is based on seeing your stuff--not a list. An Ikea dresser is a lot lighter than a 1920 Walnut dresser

Did they underestimate the weight of your stuff? If so, they will add the extra cost on to the end on delivery and will hold your stuff until you pay, generally in cash. They often give you a high price per pound, which no one pays attention to because they then give you great 'discounts'. BUT the discount is only on the weight that they estimated. The weight over the estimate will be at the full price per pound.

Are you paying for volume of space? If so and they are packing you can not control how much space they use. They will pack lightly putting way too much packing in a box with little stuff and not pack the truck solidly and then be able to charge you extra for the extra space.

Whichever of the above you are charged by, your contract needs to have an absolute maximum amount for all your stuff of $XXX. And they need to come and see it, not go off a list and for sure you will leave something off the list and they will use that for an excuse to charge more.

And check the contract for anything like fuel surcharges--like if fuel is over $2/gallon you will pay for the difference in their fuel cost, some of those contracts have way too low of a baseline for fuel. Fuel is high in CA--the taxes are a lot for fuel.

Another trick that is becoming more common now for moves to CA is the wonderful one of dumping your stuff in AZ or NV. You see, CA has NEW special emissions / air pollution control for moving trucks in CA. Many of the operators do not have trucks that meet the new standards. This is a very big deal in CA now and some folks can not even get estimates for moves this Summer because of the shortage of trucks and the backlog of work. SO if your mover does not have the CA emissions they can not pass into the state and will tell you oh, sorry, now we need to transfer your stuff to a new truck with another company and it will cost you a LOT. So make sure your contract has a clause that the trucks can legally work in CA. And if they can not, then your get XXX...and the XXX should cover if the State confiscates the truck and contents, as that can happen too. And also all costs if you have to finish the contract with a different company, and temperature controlled storage if another company is not available. And rental of furniture while you are making arrangements to get your stuff if your stuff is late.

The price is way too low, something bad is going on....unless you have very little stuff. BUT you may be able to use the quote to get ABS to lower their price.

Last edited by lae60; 06-21-2015 at 12:38 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 12:26 AM

I just did a quick google of the company's name in quotes and NY.

Found this ripoff report. Even though they were not the contract company, it is who the broker sent to do the job, and the source of the problem.

Ripoff Report | All State Van Lines Relocation Complaint Review Nationwide: 1159720

From this it appears that they stash your stuff in a public storage facility in the Bronx and wait until they have a full load going to the same place before delivering the stuff--even though they have a delivery date. This person had items missing from the storage locker and damaged stuff from moving it around. Also, the storage locker was NOT in the company's name, but an individual's name, which is fishy...WHY would they not use the company's name? Too many defaults on lockers?? Just guessing....so if they do not pay the monthly storage fee, your stuff is auctioned, and you do not even know it, and who knows if the lockers are full of roaches, etc. YUCK!

Old 06-21-2015, 12:33 AM

This is another google for the company--USHIP's rating, but no one has rated them yet, tough they say they have been in business for ten years....seems one person would have been happy to rate them. Bad ratings can be suppressed by law suit threat or settlement where one is silenced for a reduction in costs.

WORLD GREEN MOVERS - New York, New York | Get Quotes for Transport

Only 4 trucks, so it seems to me they likely will not be CA acceptable trucks and your stuff will be put in storage in AZ....just a hunch...

Old 06-21-2015, 08:33 AM

521 posts, read 3,921,277 times
Are you shopping for a cheap rate…or a reliable mover?

World Green Mover LLC is a two-year old carrier based on Brooklyn, NY ... with one (1) truck. Company Detail

In the last six months they've chalked up two complaints from consumers. Both customers complained about missed pick up or delivery dates. One said their furniture was held hostage. Last year World Green Mover had four similar complaints.

What's interesting about that number that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration revoked their operating authority on January 28, 2015. It wasn't reinstated until just three days ago. Authority History

Contact McLaughlin Transportation. They are a Mayflower agent with three locations in New Hampshire, and two in Massachusetts. They're part of Unigroup, the largest national household goods mover in the country. Despite their much larger size, the 23-year old company has a clean FMCSA complaint record.

Most of their fleet is CARB complaint. They also offer mobile portable container services to the west coast like ABF.

Last edited by RikkiTikki; 06-21-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Are you shopping for a cheap rate…or a reliable mover?

World Green Mover LLC is a two-year old carrier based on Brooklyn, NY ... with one (1) truck. Company Detail

In the last six months they've chalked up two complaints from consumers. Both customers complained about missed pick up or delivery dates. One said their furniture was held hostage. Last year World Green Mover had four similar complaints.

What's interesting about that number that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration revoked their operating authority on January 28, 2015. It wasn't reinstated until just three days ago. Authority History

Contact McLaughlin Transportation. They are a Mayflower agent with three locations in New Hampshire, and two in Massachusetts. They're part of Unigroup, the largest national household goods mover in the country. Despite their much larger size, the 23-year old company has a clean FMCSA complaint record.

Most of their fleet is CARB complaint. They also offer mobile portable container services to the west coast like ABF.
I looked it up yesterday and realized I was looking at the wrong company!! Argh!!!!! I put down a deposit with them too. Ugh. Well thankfully I can just call tomorrow and get a refund and cancel everything. The guy I spoke with was so professional and told me how he'd been with the company for 7 years.... I feel so stupid for believing it! He told me how it normally if very expensive (on par with what other companies quoted me) but that he gave me some additional discounts.... I knew it was too good to be true

Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I'd look at the details of the rate. Make sure the estimate is based on seeing your stuff--not a list. An Ikea dresser is a lot lighter than a 1920 Walnut dresser

Did they underestimate the weight of your stuff? If so, they will add the extra cost on to the end on delivery and will hold your stuff until you pay, generally in cash. They often give you a high price per pound, which no one pays attention to because they then give you great 'discounts'. BUT the discount is only on the weight that they estimated. The weight over the estimate will be at the full price per pound.

Are you paying for volume of space? If so and they are packing you can not control how much space they use. They will pack lightly putting way too much packing in a box with little stuff and not pack the truck solidly and then be able to charge you extra for the extra space.

Whichever of the above you are charged by, your contract needs to have an absolute maximum amount for all your stuff of $XXX. And they need to come and see it, not go off a list and for sure you will leave something off the list and they will use that for an excuse to charge more.

And check the contract for anything like fuel surcharges--like if fuel is over $2/gallon you will pay for the difference in their fuel cost, some of those contracts have way too low of a baseline for fuel. Fuel is high in CA--the taxes are a lot for fuel.

Another trick that is becoming more common now for moves to CA is the wonderful one of dumping your stuff in AZ or NV. You see, CA has NEW special emissions / air pollution control for moving trucks in CA. Many of the operators do not have trucks that meet the new standards. This is a very big deal in CA now and some folks can not even get estimates for moves this Summer because of the shortage of trucks and the backlog of work. SO if your mover does not have the CA emissions they can not pass into the state and will tell you oh, sorry, now we need to transfer your stuff to a new truck with another company and it will cost you a LOT. So make sure your contract has a clause that the trucks can legally work in CA. And if they can not, then your get XXX...and the XXX should cover if the State confiscates the truck and contents, as that can happen too. And also all costs if you have to finish the contract with a different company, and temperature controlled storage if another company is not available. And rental of furniture while you are making arrangements to get your stuff if your stuff is late.

The price is way too low, something bad is going on....unless you have very little stuff. BUT you may be able to use the quote to get ABS to lower their price.

I'm praying that I can get my money back. I stupidly put a deposit down (they claim it is refundable) to hold the price but now doing my research I see they are just a BS company

Old 06-21-2015, 10:32 AM

3,044 posts, read 3,985,964 times
I ran a boutique moving company for ten years. It's an industry that any Yahoo can jump into, like contracting, roofing, and other industries that lead the BBB with unresolved/uresolvable complaints.

With the internet it's now even worse. In Yellow page days you'd need thousands of dollars per month to compete with the Big Boys. Now anyone can compete.
Once moving companies have your stuff technically under law it's theirs until you pay. Contracting out means stuff can disappear and you don't even know what state it vaporized in, so how are you going to find it? One friend going from Wa. to NC didn't follow my suggestion to put her contact address and name INSIDE boxes and lost all her family photos, something not replaceable or insurable.

Suggestions are to consolidate as much stuff as possible and get your volume way, way down: kids toys, mattress, large furniture that can all be replaced in California.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 06-21-2015 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: finish idea

Old 06-21-2015, 11:48 AM

349 posts, read 233,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
So I thought we were definitely going with ABF u-pack but now the closer we get to moving (no official date as of yet because we are still trying to find a place, but we are 99% sure we are going to get a particular place we applied to.. wont find out till Monday), the idea of having to buy all the supplies to secure everything, load the truck ourselves, etc.. just seems daunting!! So I started looking online for quotes for full service movers

I found this place called World Green Movers. They would provide full service moving for- get this- just $2600 from NH to CA!!! ABF U-pack is $4100 plus an additional $500 to have someone unload our stuff!!

Apparently the guy at world green said theyre running a special right now and he gave me some additional discounts.... it just seems wayyy too good to be true. Has anyone used this company?

He did say that they'll partition our things and someone else's belongings may be on the truck with ours. He also said that the trucks are only inspected once a month at the end of the month to check for things like bed bugs, roaches, etc.... We would be moving in the beginning of July so I guess we could get lucky, BUT the trucks come from Brooklyn NY... which, from what I have heard, is one of the worst locations for Bed bugs...

Am I over thinking this? Should I just book it since it is so cheap? He said that they are their own carriers, not brokers either...
We are in process of moving and we tried all sorts of avenues. Granted we are only moving 700 miles not across country but we have A LOT of stuff, 4 bdr, formal dining and living room in addition to the great room, patio furniture, garage and camping trailer, three dogs and two cats!!
We checked with the big boys, $9000
Checked with a local outfit with rave reviews $5000
Checked with U-pack - $2900, I was tempted but not having a good eye of how much space we would end up needing and having to pay movers on both ends, I changed my mind. I did like that it was NOT based on weight, rather only space. If you can pack like tetris then it might be a good option.
PODS and U-Haul containers were insanely expensive. I think they only make sense for house remodels.
Got a bid from U-Movers for everything for $2900 but he would;t give his company name or license number, I also googled his name and came up with some pretty interesting twitter feeds.....uuummmm PASS!
I won't bore you with the rest of my searches but some included pricing out paying someone to drive my rented U-Haul, also too expensive.

So here is what we're doing. Rented a 26 foot truck and 20 foot truck with a car dolly. Got movers on this side and the other side all through U-haul. Flying the brother-in-law in to drive one of the trucks. After everything is said and done, the entire move will run about $3000 (including gas, labor and plane ticket) and I will be in possession of my stuff the whole time and get to go on a little road trip!

You didn't say how much stuff you have? If you have a 2 bdr, you could easily get that into 20 or 26 truck yourself. Good luck and safe travels!

Old 06-21-2015, 02:19 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,094,098 times
I'd be leery of any company offering deals like that in the midst of peak moving season when every other company has their rates jacked up because of high demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues