U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM

36 posts, read 43,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
are the kids old enuff to ask where they would like to live ?
No, we've got really small children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 05:44 PM

36 posts, read 43,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
What makes Boise "better"? The economy is bad there. Only Arkansas and Mississippi have lower per capita incomes. Low COL doesn't necessarily make a state a great place to live. It just makes a lot of your neighbors poor. The politics there are very different, the weather is worse, the population is not crazy about Californians. Children don't benefit from any of those things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income
That's a good question. I suppose by "better," I'm referring to less hectic, friendlier people, less crime, a great homeschool community. But, you're right, the weather there is worse, and it's so remote that there's no other urban area for hundreds of miles. So it's hard to judge whether the pros would feel like pros over time.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:43 PM

4,674 posts, read 2,523,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird16 View Post
We have the option of moving our young family from Sacramento to Boise. I'm not thrilled about Boise, but it's safer, family-friendly, and offers a lower cost of living and slower lifestyle.
I guess you haven't been watching Wayward Pines aka Boise, Idaho on TV this season. YIKES!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 PM

272 posts, read 239,775 times
I moved to Boise for my children. I also moved from Boise for my children.

While I enjoyed living there, it was hard to make a living. As my children were getting older, I was wondering what opportunities they would have as well.

Although I loved the quick access to downtown Boise or the foothills... both within minutes of my home, the wintertime inversion was depressing. I also felt landlocked being so far from the ocean but that might not bother some people.

Homeschooling can be good anywhere. Always plug in immediately with a local group. Bigger metropolitan areas have many more options for additional lessons, field trips and cultural activities (making big city suburbs are a good option to keep the kids and you connected).

Last edited by go09; 06-23-2015 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 05:02 AM

22 posts, read 23,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird16 View Post
Yes, I suppose I would be settling in a place I didn't really care about for the sake of my family. I'm not sure what's more important?
You being happy with the place will have a huge impact on your kids. Sure you might think Boise is better for them externally, but if you are not happy that will trickle down to the kids negating any +'s that moving to Boise offers. There are millions of safe, family friendly places to live.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:11 AM

43,465 posts, read 52,484,972 times
I think that would be the point of most moves.
To give the whole family a better life.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:20 AM

8,689 posts, read 7,652,489 times
Children are extremely vulnerable until they reach adulthood. Not only that, but there's no do over on have good upbringing and a good education. Part of that is a function of where you live. We lived in NC, and it was a very bad place to raise children. Very rednecky, very poor education system. We went to a lot of trouble to get out of there for our children's sake. I'd recommend you do the same. They will thank you for it for many years to come.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:54 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,978,245 times
OP, my sense is that a lot of CA families who are fed up with taxes are moving to Colorado. It's cold there, too, but there are many opportunities for winter sports, and even in the winter months, there's still a lot of sunshine. It might even appeal to your other family members, so that everyone ends up moving.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:51 AM

15,011 posts, read 21,669,103 times
We did that several years ago. We were living in New Jersey, in a small town that I still love. The schools however are mediocre and the taxes are insane. Crime started to creep up in the town and we figured, time to sell and move to a place with better schools and a lower COL.

We moved across the river to PA. A cute little town. It wasn't a great move for us. My son had a hard time adjusting had an awful bullying problem. My daughter settled in nicely, but it never felt like home.

The grass is always greener, you don't know what will happen. Everything on paper was great, better schools, we saved a ton of money etc. Worst move ever.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 AM

15,697 posts, read 26,694,100 times
Something to think about when you have lived in a low cost of living area and want to retire.

I have known many people, my parents included, that bought and paid off homes in high cost of living areas then sold those homes and moved to a lower cost of living area with much cheaper homes. Plenty of work so my dad always worked. He finally retired and after a couple years they decided that maybe it would be better to move to a cheaper area. They would not need to worry about schools as all of us kids were all grown up. They chose Surprise Arizona and sold their home of 38 years and purchased a brand new home in Surprise. Here it is 12 years later and they are still in that home. They also were able to put a lot of money in the bank from the sale of their old home.

When you move to a lower cost of living area and buy a home what happens when you want to sell and move to a lower cost of living area? Your options would be limited as you may already be in the low cost of living place. Boise would be one of the places people from coastal California may choose to retire. Those that do will sell homes that cost much more than those in Boise and move there. They will probably be cash buyers. Where do the people of Boise go when they want to cash out and move to an even cheaper place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or