U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,316,971 times

Advertisements

Does your state print your full middle name on your license or just your middle initial?

I've heard horror stories of moving to a different state and trying to get a license when your current license only has a middle initial instead of the full name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 02:25 PM

5,056 posts, read 6,036,351 times
I would suggest looking up the official DMV (not the look-alike commercial site) for the state where you intend to move and read their instructions carefully. The laws have changed. All states now require "Real ID" before getting a new DL, so it doesn't matter whether or not your DL has a full middle name, initial, or nothing.

You will, however, have to provide a certified birth certificate or a passport, plus other stuff. It is truly a pain to gather these documents, so start early and make sure you have them where you can find them when you move.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,145,828 times
Here, my drivers license requires my full maiden name to be included instead of my given middle name. I hate my maiden name and love my given middle name (Louise) because I was named that after my sweet departed grandma. Oh well!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:38 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,840,281 times
Living in PA I only had my middle initial, both before and after marriage. When we moved to SC 7 years ago they required a passport or birth certificate. Since my passport has my full name, they claimed they were required to use it as it had to match. When we moved to DE 2 months ago I tried to get them to change back to my middle initial but they claim because of the new laws they also were required to use my name exactly as on my passport.

I would assume that all the states follow the same rule now and have to use the full name that's on your federally accepted ID.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,894,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Does your state print your full middle name on your license or just your middle initial?

I've heard horror stories of moving to a different state and trying to get a license when your current license only has a middle initial instead of the full name.
I have had drivers licenses in six different states, and all of them put my full middle name on the license. I don't think a middle initial was an option. They just copied it right off my birth certificate.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:14 AM

3,927 posts, read 4,790,995 times
With the Real ID laws, full legal name as you have on a passport, SS card is used, however it is. As a married woman, Jane Ann Smith, married to Joe Doe, it may be Jane Smith Doe, or may be Jane Ann Smith, however your legal name is. Wen you apply in the new state you will have to being in some form of ID, and often require a birth certificate and SS card. We also had to bring two pieces of stuff showing our address (utility bill, mail delivered to the address, etc) in each of our names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or