U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:23 PM

647 posts, read 1,031,694 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if a professional moving company would allow us to pack plastic bins that we would wrap with shipping tape? Or are they only willing to accept cardboard boxes. I'm thinking the only issue would be that a name label might not stick to a plastic bin as well as it would on the cardboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:00 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,236,532 times
I've moved with National Van lines several times and always had plastic bins. Usually they contain seasonal items, clothing, electronic cords etc. I've never had any issues or questions. As you state, they usually just wrapped packing tape around them.

Having said that, in all but one of our professional moves, we were the only household whose items were on the truck, so issues like names on boxes/bins, checking inventory stickers etc were kind of a nonissue.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:05 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,047,857 times
When I moved, they took the stuff I had in plastic bin's did not say anything about it.

Make me wonder why they (Big Moving companies) don't just get thousands of heavy duty Plastic bins, to use & reuse over and over again, instead of using hundreds of virgin cardboard boxes for each move. Could give them a competitive advantage over the other movers bring there cost down some, and allowing them to make more profit.

When My company moved offices about 1mile away, The movers came in with Plastic Tubs. At least that one used tubs for a Corporate office move.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 PM

17,991 posts, read 22,723,480 times
I moved a big plastic bin that had dog food in it and the movers thought it was hilarious, but they had no trouble taking it that way. They teased me about all the tape I used on everything. But, I taped labels to everything with lots of clear shipping tape. Taped lids on things, taped up a stacking plastic drawers set. Bubble wrap and tape by the mile LOL.

The movers said it wasn't necessary to put my initials on everything, which I did in big letters with a circle around them, along with a description of what was inside, if it wasn't obvious. I figured it was better safe than sorry. If somehow they ended up somewhere else with a box with my initials on it, they'd know it was mine.

But, no, they didn't care about my things that weren't in boxes.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:01 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,664,057 times
Normally you find the top movers will inspect then wrap the bins in bubble wrap as they see the need.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:29 AM

647 posts, read 1,031,694 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. Sounds like plastic bins would not be problem.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:14 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,236,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I moved a big plastic bin that had dog food in it and the movers thought it was hilarious, but they had no trouble taking it that way. They teased me about all the tape I used on everything. But, I taped labels to everything with lots of clear shipping tape. Taped lids on things, taped up a stacking plastic drawers set. Bubble wrap and tape by the mile LOL.

The movers said it wasn't necessary to put my initials on everything, which I did in big letters with a circle around them, along with a description of what was inside, if it wasn't obvious. I figured it was better safe than sorry. If somehow they ended up somewhere else with a box with my initials on it, they'd know it was mine.

But, no, they didn't care about my things that weren't in boxes.
Good thinking. The plastic bin for the dog food is the ideal way to store and transport it and keep pets out of it. That's why all the pet stores sell plastic bins. I also found that the shallow bins are ideal as cat litter boxes, at about 1/3 of the cost of what you buy at a pet store, only cheap bins are usually larger.

And, in my experience, the labeling of items in detail is not so much for the packing and loading end, but for the destination end, so you can make sure the crew gets things to the appropriate room instead of just being lazy and dropping everything in the garage or first room they come too. Of course, that always happens, so then the detailed labeling helps you figure out where things go.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:07 PM

17,991 posts, read 22,723,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Good thinking. The plastic bin for the dog food is the ideal way to store and transport it and keep pets out of it. That's why all the pet stores sell plastic bins. I also found that the shallow bins are ideal as cat litter boxes, at about 1/3 of the cost of what you buy at a pet store, only cheap bins are usually larger.

And, in my experience, the labeling of items in detail is not so much for the packing and loading end, but for the destination end, so you can make sure the crew gets things to the appropriate room instead of just being lazy and dropping everything in the garage or first room they come too. Of course, that always happens, so then the detailed labeling helps you figure out where things go.
Amen. I love my dog food bin lol. It's the little things in life. It has wheels that detach, so I taped them to the underside of the lid. It has a locking lid, too, so my dog can't get into it - at least not easily ha ha. I can keep it under the kitchen island table and it wheels in and out easily. Love that thing.

Amazon.com : IRIS Premium Airtight Pet Food Storage Container, 67-Quart, Almond : Pet Food Storage Products : Pet Supplies

Old 07-19-2015, 03:10 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. Sounds like plastic bins would not be problem.
We use shrink wrap instead of a bunch of tape that can leave sticky residue on the plastic boxes.
We also shrink wrap every that has a door or drawer as well, book shelves that are full, file cabinets that are full, dressers that are full, the treadmill gets shrink wrapped as well, wire shelves that are full, stove, refridgerator, freezer, washer, dryer, toaster oven (only if I cannot find the original box).

You can purchase the large rolls of shrink wrap at your local office supply store.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:13 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

I never have them separate anything by room, it all goes in one room in one corner and I put away as I open boxes. The box is completely emptied into the room those items belong then it is broken down and put in a pile in one of the closets so they are contained in a smaller space.
Once all the boxes are emptied they all get taken to the local grocery and recycled since all of my cardboard boxes are egg boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues