U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 02:18 AM

60 posts, read 66,899 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning a cross-country relocation for my large family. 8 people, including kids grandparent's. I have a large RV I plan to use for the move. We have a car that I haven't decided if someone will drive or just pull behind. I expect to bring the more important things with us and pack and ship the other. Big items will be worked out as well. But we kinda are the 'leave the big things behind and begin new' for the most part.

I'm looking for input on just experience doing something like this.

This family has moved several times to several states, sometimes just picking up and leaving or because of a job. And the place we plan to move to we have been to before so we're not going in completely to an unknown.

We have 1 medium and 1 Large dog. And 4 cats in total. We've moved with the cats before and know how to do that. Just with the big dog and the amount of people this time is a little worrisome and could use some input on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 AM

4,496 posts, read 3,880,628 times
Any chance some of the people could fly? I think that would lessen the crowded rv.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:18 AM

9,110 posts, read 17,058,310 times
Put half the People in the car and have them follow, other half in the RV. Dogs/Cats in kennels/carrier in RV.

Are you planning to Hotel it or all sleep in the RV? ( Would STRONGLY suggest you hotel it).

Plan to eat all your big (Dinner) meals at restaurants, you an use the RV for lunch. (B'Fast @ the hotel)

Load up the Sleeping part of the RV with "Stuff" (Watch the amount of weight.)

Old 07-20-2015, 09:07 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
If you can afford it, do two trips. Take the older folks and animals on one trip and the rest on the second, or whatever makes sense. You could send the car and RV on the first trip and then drive the car back and get the rest of the people and whatever you forgot and left behind. (:

Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 AM

60 posts, read 66,899 times
I don't think flying is an option, just looking at prices is terrifying.

The half in car is good idea. Thanks for that.

Would consider making two trips but I have to pick the R.V up in another state so not sure if it's probable. Though I have thought of taking at least two people with me while picking it up and leaving them at the new place.

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:35 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
I think what we're trying to say is not to move with that many people/pets at once. That's a recipe for forgetting things, having accidents, etc.

If you must, the best organized adult is the "Moving Manager." That person keeps track of keys, money, and counts bodies (and pets) after each rest stop before leaving. Or have a buddy system, but make sure an adult is in charge of the dog.

Moving is stressful enough without having to keep up with a bunch of family members and pets. Good luck! And let us know what worked (and didn't work) for you. I'm sure others have this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues