U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 AM

405 posts, read 417,766 times

Advertisements

Twice recently, people have asked for my help moving. In both cases, it was just a move across town so a very short move of maybe 3 miles and both people really only wanted my help with the big stuff, like couch, chairs, bed, and fridge, and a dresser. Both people have said that they planned to move EVERYTHING in 1 day so I was thinking, "Great, I don't need to make a lot of time for these moves." In both instances, I show up at their house on the morning of the move and nothing is ready to go. Clothes are thrown all over the house, , there's all kinds of junk on top of the dresser. When I say junk, I mean they both had to go through every item they found to see if it was anything important enough to keep.

Why can't people actually be ready for a move when they say they'll be ready? I was there to help move things, not to help pack and definitely not sit there while they sort through their trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 10:41 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,978,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
In both instances, I show up at their house on the morning of the move and nothing is ready to go.
I would've said, "I'll go get coffee. Call me when it's time to move the couch, fridge, etc."

You could also be very clear the next time that you are asked to help move stuff that you are there to move x, y, and z and that you also have your errands to do, so please be ready.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:06 AM

22,228 posts, read 10,311,930 times
Long ago I stopped helping people move, and reminded them that when I moved I hired a small local company to take care of everything...at pretty reasonable prices.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,034,907 times
Quote:
Twice recently, people have asked for my help moving. In both cases, it was just a move across town so a very short move of maybe 3 miles and both people really only wanted my help with the big stuff, like couch, chairs, bed, and fridge, and a dresser. Both people have said that they planned to move EVERYTHING in 1 day so I was thinking, "Great, I don't need to make a lot of time for these moves." In both instances, I show up at their house on the morning of the move and nothing is ready to go. Clothes are thrown all over the house, , there's all kinds of junk on top of the dresser. When I say junk, I mean they both had to go through every item they found to see if it was anything important enough to keep.

Why can't people actually be ready for a move when they say they'll be ready? I was there to help move things, not to help pack and definitely not sit there while they sort through their trash.
You must be a fairly big guy...

Old 07-20-2015, 01:03 PM

174 posts, read 186,809 times
mdlee, I couldn't agree with you more. To answer your question, some people are not respectful of others, or the time of others. They think it's all about them and never consider that others have things to do and are "donating" their time and effort to help them move. This can be annoying and frustrating. I love helping people, but it's annoying when you arrive on time and they are not ready for you. I have never been able to figure it out...do they just not care? or are they ignorant and unaware of what they're doing? Don't know.

I agree with Meemur, but I probably would have been a bit more direct, saying "Gee, I thought you had everything packed and just needed help moving the stuff. I'll give you time to pack your things and just call me when you're ready to move the items into the truck.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:04 PM

14,604 posts, read 8,417,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Long ago I stopped helping people move, and reminded them that when I moved I hired a small local company to take care of everything...at pretty reasonable prices.
This. My friends have learned that just because my wife and I own a truck and SUV doesn't mean we're volunteering to help move. But we'll be happy to refer them to movers.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:55 PM

160 posts, read 118,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
best way to do

Old 07-20-2015, 06:33 PM

16,751 posts, read 25,760,731 times
Quote:

People who are too cheap to hire a mover also have a dirty little secret - they can't be ready for a mover either.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:41 PM

60 posts, read 66,949 times
Why can't people actually be ready for a move when they say they'll be ready? I was there to help move things, not to help pack and definitely not sit there while they sort through their trash.[/quote]

I know what you mean. Every-time someone I know moves, even if I'm not helping them, it always is a drawn out thing that takes way longer than it should.
Not to mention they always ask someone to help them and I've always moved with one other persons help in one day. It's not a fun time so I cannot understand why people drag it out for so long.
But then again, maybe it's more of a "not organized or haven't even started packing due to putting it off until the day of sort of thing."

I feel your frustration.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 AM

405 posts, read 417,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
You must be a fairly big guy...
I'm not really all that big. I mean, I'm 6'3" and about 220lbs, but I'm not like super strong.

To everybody else, thanks. I basically just wanted to make sure that I wasn't looking at this whole helping move thing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or