U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 3,511 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need some advice on how I should go about moving to Phoenix ASAP. Moving vans and trucks companies all range around 1300-1400 to move my small 350sq feet place to Phoenix. So thats out of the question, with my college student budget. I dont have a license and neither does my boyfriend. The only large items we own is an okay sized flat screen and a 22 inch computer screen. We also have a twin bed but we're more than willing to dump that and get a new bed when we move(a bigger one for sure) but are unsure of the best way to get our things to Phoenix efficiently. Over all we probably have enough crap to fill 11 medium sized boxes(but could downsize before hand). Should we mail our things, and if so through what company? USPS, Ups, Fedex?? Or do we consider getting a pod and having that taken to Phoenix for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:42 PM

5,194 posts, read 8,318,298 times
Have you got a quote from one of the container outfits yet ? Don't be surprised if they are over a $1000 also.

Re UPS, Ten 40# boxes by UPS Ground would be about $350. FedEx Ground would be similar.

Is your stuff worth that much, or would it be easier to dump nearly everything, then replace in PHX from thrift stores ?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:56 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,258,658 times
You can go online and calculate the cost of mailing your stuff.

Amtrak will be 207 dollars for the two of you if you qualify for the student advantage discount.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:46 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,732,087 times
You could also price Greyhound buses for shipping your boxes. I see they have a student discount:

Home

Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,962,090 times
Do you have a friend or friend of a friend who would be willing to drive you & your boyfriend to Phoenix? Then you can keep your stuff together and not have to struggle with getting to the bus station if you don't Fed-X it.

If not, seriously consider downsizing as much as you can, keeping in mind how you're going to get to thrift stores, etc.

When you get settled, at least one of you should get a license. You may not be able to afford a car for awhile but at least you can rent one when it's absolutely necessary.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 PM

4,673 posts, read 2,293,032 times
Could we ask why you don't have a license? It seems odd in this day and age.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,962,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Could we ask why you don't have a license? It seems odd in this day and age.
I'm seeing it more and more! I'm told that Driver's Ed is no longer free in high school as it was when I was there in the 1970s, and many states have "graduated" licenses where it takes two years of "practice" with an adult (over 21) along.

From what I hear, it's now expensive and complicated to get a license, so more youngsters aren't doing it, plus there seem to be a lot of really bad driving instructors out there, so that's adding to the lack of motivation, as well. One gal used to cry regularly when she was behind the wheel, so her parents just gave up. I'm nicer (but more stubborn) and insisted that she learn to drive the truck. She did, but it took a lot of tears and most of a summer to build up her confidence. I'm sure a lot of them just give up under those circumstances.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 PM

I had a permit from Arizona but moved to Washington where you must attend drivers ed to get the license (unlike in AZ) and you have to pay hundreds for a whole semester long class, which seemed dumb to me since I already knew how to drive and only moved a week before I would have qualified for a license. Now we don't have a car so it'd be hard to get a license. My boyfriend is hardly old enough for a license but plans on getting one as well. I was thinking about just mailing like maybe half our things and ditching the rest. Just taking our computer, some clothes(maybe a 3 box limit?) and bathroom and kitchen goods. Honestly less than $350 wouldn't be bad for moving everything. We like to thrift so maybe we will end up ditching a lot more clothes- i'm just a hoarder so it might be a struggle haha.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:27 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,258,658 times
Your BF isn't 16 or older?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Your BF isn't 16 or older?
You must be 18 where we are coming from to obtain a license plus experience driving. You also need insurance and a car to test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or