U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 PM

20 posts, read 13,942 times

Advertisements

Atlast Van Lines - moving from MN to CA. Trying to figure out if these costs and add ons are legit and reasonable or should I be disputing these ? -

Flat screen TV packing - $227 (really ? this is a 42" plasma!).
Fuel Surcharge - $300
Special Insurance LH/surcharge - $200
Origin service charge - $200
Destination service charge - $125

What do these charges mean ? I will ask the estimator too but just want to be informed before checking with them.

Also, what does the comment "T/T accessible" on the estimate mean ? Does it mean that their large interstate trucks are able to come to my home and so there may not be a need for a "shuttle service" using a smaller truck ?

Please advise.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 13,942 times
?

surely someone has had a tv packed by movers, and used Atlas Van Lines ?

Old 08-02-2015, 12:47 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,007,048 times
Flat screen TV packing - $227 (really ? this is a 42" plasma!).
Normally they bring in a 3rd party to do it, Just calling them cost $100 + time,materials,there insurance

Fuel Surcharge - $300
Normally off some index over $x.xx per gallon on the gulf cost of Diesel is over that you pay the surcharge.

Special Insurance LH/surcharge - $200
No idea

Origin service charge - $200
The Profit for the Dealer where you are leaving from.
Destination service charge - $125
The profit where you are going.

T/T is tractor trailer, can the 18 wheeler access both location, setup load / unload (legally) etc, If not they will bill for smaller shuttle trucks also.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:55 PM

487 posts, read 556,522 times
When I got an estimate from Atlas Smart Moves, my estimator flat out warned me about that TV charge and told me to make sure I packed it in a TV box myself to avoid it. If you didn't do that, yes, it's legit. They do the same thing if you don't bag up your mattresses (I think he warned me it was like $75 per mattress unless I put it in the $6.99 baggie you can buy yourself from U-Haul or Home Depot).

Old 08-10-2015, 12:44 PM

48 posts, read 42,378 times
FYI: that shuttle service is not cheap. It was going to cost us almost $900 (that we didn't know about until the day before they showed up). Luckily, the driver maneuvered his way into our apartment complex.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:57 PM

166 posts, read 140,414 times
WHAT?! put the tv in your car yourself! You can buy a NEW (USED, I meant) 42" flat screen for that price ($300 easy)! (not a plasma but that's besides the point).

sounds like a HUGE rip off. You are better going out and getting some bubble wrap, tossing the small 42" TV in your trunk, and driving it yourself.

Also all the "surcharges" is indicative that they are probably also going to have a lot of hidden fees and you are going to be VERY unhappy with the final cost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or