U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2006, 03:05 PM

11 posts, read 50,957 times

Advertisements

What is the cheapest way to move? My girlfriend said she shipped two boxes and a bike throught Amtrak for about $200 and then just whatever her car would hold. I'm thinking of doing the same, loading up my little Honda Civic. I don't have a lot of furniture, maybe a couple small nightstands and a bed, a small table, some pots and pans, some office stuff, photos. Nothing I'm real attached to, although I do like my little antique dresser. It seems like it would be more expensive to move the stuff from California to South Carolina than it would be to just get new stuff when I'm there.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,075,492 times
Default Rent a small travel trailer

You could rent a small travel trailer and that may give enough space to take all your junk. Or maybe even some sort of car top carrier.

Just hook them chairs over the back, you might look like the Beverly Hillbilly's pulling into town.

I have known people who did some of the major moving by UPS. Packed it all in boxes and had those shipped.

It does sound like you need a bit more cube volume for the bigger stuff. So a small trailer might be the ticket. You always wish you hadn't thrown away whatever on a move.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:57 PM

95 posts, read 586,828 times
Hi Cherylsletta,

I went through this about a year and a half ago, pulling a trailer on my Honda Accord from VA to AZ. If I had to do it again, I'd load up the car, maybe mail a couple boxes, and just get new stuff. It was a huge hassle with the stress of driving extra cautiously with the trailer, not being able to use AC for fear of overheating, and worrying about theft at hotels. Stopping for gas or food is also a pain since you need to make sure you'll fit. I believe it would have been cheaper after paying to have a hitch put on my car, renting the trailer, and having car problems fixed that I am convinced were caused by the towing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues