U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,272,819 times

Advertisements

Sure. An apartment is just a place to drop my stuff and sleep. I don't really care where I live otherwise. As long as it performs the function of providing shelter from the elements, it's good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 PM

688 posts, read 1,056,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sure. An apartment is just a place to drop my stuff and sleep. I don't really care where I live otherwise. As long as it performs the function of providing shelter from the elements, it's good.
Man o Man I NEED your 'tude!!! Seriously...I spend too much time worrying about "where to live" !

Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,140,616 times
I did this when moving from Phoenix to Dallas two years back. Looked up a few apartment complexes near where I wanted to live, decided based on ratings, pictures and phone calls.

Turned out to be a good decision though!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:24 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
We may have no choice but to do that. We're moving from TN to ME and are hoping we can buy a home that has immediate occupancy since we're paying cash and the seller won't need to worry about financing falling through or anything. But if we can't find a house we like that's imm occ, we will have to rent until we close. Since we've got a large number of pets and leaving them behind for any length of time isn't an option, we will be forced to rent anything, sight unseen if the landlord is willing to rent to us short term with an additional large non-refundable fee. For us, it's worth it. It will only be temporary anyway.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM

2,954 posts, read 6,120,716 times
I've tried renting site unseen once. Bad, bad, bad! The only good part of that decision was not signing the lease - when we did finally see it, with our moving truck sitting in the yard and all, it was a bit oh H**L NO!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 PM

948 posts, read 1,238,969 times
As an owner/manager I would never let prospect do that. There are to many unforeseen issues. I have made arrangements for people that can not see the unit to pay a $100 hold until they could see the unit then applied that to the deposit. I have also had several servicemen and women rent unseen but in all those situations I have communicated with the tenant and have had someone from the base personal services come and look over the unit.
I do this because it helps avoid a later hassle such as a carpet problem, drippy faucet, noisy neighbors, parking, any number of things.
If there is absolutely no way for you to see the unit I would recommend that you have a friend look over the unit do that. If you don't there are services such as apartment finders international that may offer a walk through. Have them do a move in sheet and fax it to you.
With all that said I am sure that your state has a law that allows people to get out of a rental contract with in 3 days or so. Ever other state that have done business in has a variation of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or