U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:56 AM

109 posts, read 413,917 times

Advertisements

has anyone rented an apt sight unseen because they either don't have time to see it ahead of time, is too far away, or just have a good feeling about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 02:14 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,156,962 times
I moved cross-country (from Oregon to New York City) and rented a place based just on photographs. Lucky for me, it turned out to be a good situation <*whew*>.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 PM

12,048 posts, read 16,789,785 times
I did for a sublet. The cost of the apartment for the summer was about $200 a month less than the average in the area. Lucky for me, it wasn't a fleapit- the girl just wanted someone to take it badly so she dropped the price and took a hit (or should I say her mom and dad took the hit :P).

I probably wouldn't do it again though- and certainly not for anything long term.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:17 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,667,587 times
My husband and I did this past summer. We had to book sight unseen because we were moving halfway across the country. It ended up being pretty much a dump. We only did a 6 month lease...we figured we could deal with just about anything for 6 months. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless absolutely necessary.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM

833 posts, read 4,458,174 times
I agree with christina. My husband and I had to do the same...rented a bungalow sight unseen, although my realtor took a look at it for us beforehand. I still wouldn't recommend it. This place is a dump. We've had to call the landlord many times regarding things that don't work or aren't up to par. Had I seen this place with my own eyes there's no way I would've said yes to this place. Thank god we only signed a six month lease. And at least the town is charming.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,340,471 times
Yes I would because most of the complexes are pretty much the same everywhere.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:22 PM

305 posts, read 1,534,250 times
We moved from CA to PA. Rented a townhouse going just by the pics AND checking out to see what former tenants said about it at:
Apartment Ratings and Reviews - Get Informed and Rent Smarter
Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters

Turned out great. We stayed for 4 years.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,362,012 times
When I was in the USAF and stationed in Germany in the mid-1980's, apartments off base were VERY hard to come by. And getting on-base housing was usually a year or more wait. So this is what you would do for an inbound squadron member:

- Explain about the housing shortage on the local economy.

- Describe what the average apartment was like (including the GERMAN definition of "unfurnished"... (Bring your own kitchen cabinets and light fixtures))

- If the inbound member desired (and were very trusting), they would send you a Power of Attorney so that you could sign a 1-year lease on an apartment for them. That way, they'd have housing immediately upon arrival. As goofy as it sounds, that worked out reasonably well, from what I saw.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 PM

22 posts, read 84,532 times
I just completed my move to Lincoln, NE and really lucked out. I chose my complex because the management office people I spoke with actually seemed interested in me coming to live there and were helpful / understanding that I would be coming in sight unseen. Other people I spoke with seemed aloof and like they couldn't be bothered to do a little extra to help me. I had them take pics of the actual apt and email me and though pics can be misleading, I still felt ok. The only surprises I got were I didn't realize the area around my complex was so built up with businesses and its possible, although there's nothing in the literature, that I may have moved into an active senior community. haha! No really I've only seen a couple of people in their 20s/30s. Everyone else seems to be in their 60s/70s. Oy.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:18 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Yep, had to do this several years ago, for a six month interim position in another state. Luckily, everything was as described. Could have been a real mess if it hadn't . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or