U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:21 PM

947 posts, read 2,830,211 times

Advertisements

I moved to Central Texas from Northern CA over a year ago and love it. My reasons for moving were the same as yours. I wanted to be a SAHM and couldn't do it in CA. I love where I live and so does my husband. It was the healthiest move for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:28 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,297,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djntim1211 View Post
Hi,
My husband & I are thinking of moving sometime in the next year or two, we are hoping to start a family & I really really want to be a SAHM. We live in Orange County, CA right now & the cost of living is just too much, we're barely making it with 2 incomes right now. However I love warm weather and have such a hard time being cold (have an electric blanket at work just to keep me warm...but it's almost always at least 72* inside :-P). So many of the places on the Top 100 lists seem to get so cold in the winter. Does anyone have some suggestions of places they live/lived & really enjoyed living there, where the cost of living is less that Orange County, but the weather doesn't get tooooooo cold in the winter?
I'm doubting if a place like this even exists, but we'll see...
Can I ask what your husband does for a living? That will make a big difference in where you decide to relocate. We are in Southern Utah, in the St. George area and we are for sale. This area is growing by leaps and bounds, lots of stay at home moms, lots of mormons but if you are busy and get kids involved in other things, won't be much of an issue. its getting more diverse all the time.

Jobs are another issue, that's why I ask what your hubby does for a living. There are jobs, but it doesnt pay as much as CA but coming from CA your cost of living won't be so bad, either.

Now it does get cold here in the winter, we have had a night or two in the 20's, but we have heat and it works good, along with a fireplace..very well insulated house,plus it is a dry heat, not like what you are used to in OC. The summers are hot, but that's what air conditioning is for. we have a clubhouse with two pools, tennis courts, fitness facility for swimming in the summer.

Its a beautiful area and not that far from SoCal for those friends and family visits..We are staying in the area...we are downsizing a bit...I never get tired of the scenery and we are so close to such beautiful spots like Zion Nat Park, Bryce Canyon Nat. Park, Cedar Breaks, Brian Head for skiing, lake powell, plus about an hour and a half to Las Vegas.

Just thought I would toss our beautiful area in there for your consideration!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:38 AM

3,455 posts, read 7,271,306 times
South Carolina, Georgia (coastal for both), I'd look at southwest Florida....yes can be expensive but better than OC, and soooo beautiful! I'd also consider Texas and New Mexico....though for some reason I see you liking the southeast coastal states better....maybe cause you are used to being near the ocean. I have never been to coastal Texas but I do not believe it holds a candle to soutwest florida but maybe comparable to South Carolina? I dont really think so but could be wrong. I've never heard anything that great about the gulf in Texas. (Id love to learn more though....)

I think the southeast could be a culture shock though which is why Florida might be better...more neutral, not so southern.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:19 PM

26,333 posts, read 62,487,377 times
Franklin Tennessee.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:07 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,647,423 times
Quote:
Hi,
My husband & I are thinking of moving sometime in the next year or two, we are hoping to start a family & I really really want to be a SAHM. We live in Orange County, CA right now & the cost of living is just too much, we're barely making it with 2 incomes right now. However I love warm weather and have such a hard time being cold (have an electric blanket at work just to keep me warm...but it's almost always at least 72* inside :-P). So many of the places on the Top 100 lists seem to get so cold in the winter. Does anyone have some suggestions of places they live/lived & really enjoyed living there, where the cost of living is less that Orange County, but the weather doesn't get tooooooo cold in the winter?
There's a lot of places that are cheaper than OC and warmer. Take your pick of NV, AZ, Southern Utah (as a previous poster said); those places will definitely get warmer than 72, by about 40 to 50 degrees. Then there are all of the southern states (including Florida in this mixture) that get not only super hot weather but also added humidity. They do not get very cold or cold at all.

I do not live in such a state and am, in fact, looking to move back to OC (after a 24+ years hiatus) or possibly San Diego.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,418,892 times
Quote:
Hi,
We wanted the same things you want with our move--not to have to deal with those wicked cold winters and the high price of living. We were looking for a place we could semi-retire. My son and his new wife and her baby are young like you and desperately want to own a home and she would love to be a stay at home mother. Last year my hubbie and I moved to NC. It's just what the DR. ordered for us. We are very pleased with our move here. Now my son and his family are planning to move here next year with my daughter and her family thinking it over too. CA is just to expensive for most middle income families or people who would like to retire. The weather here is very close to CA weather with a bit more seasons but mild! You may want to check out this area. It's been great for us! Good luck!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:33 AM

8,545 posts, read 9,297,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
There's a lot of places that are cheaper than OC and warmer. Take your pick of NV, AZ, Southern Utah (as a previous poster said); those places will definitely get warmer than 72, by about 40 to 50 degrees. Then there are all of the southern states (including Florida in this mixture) that get not only super hot weather but also added humidity. They do not get very cold or cold at all.

I do not live in such a state and am, in fact, looking to move back to OC (after a 24+ years hiatus) or possibly San Diego.
Southern Utah is beautiful...we are close to Las Vegas and Mesquite for fun and games, Zion Nat Park And Bryce Canyon are in our backyard. Brian head is about an hour away for skiing, Lake Powell and Lake Mead for water sports, also Sand Hollow Reservoir our local water fun...It does get hot in the summer, that's why they made air conditioning! But it IS a dry heat so a hot day is bearable...think about it! We have the house for sale, but are staying in town...we love it here..we are just downsizing...lest anyone think we are leaving because of where we live...good luck

Old 03-01-2008, 10:39 AM

15,295 posts, read 27,422,463 times
I live in east Tennessee and love it here. As with any areas, there are pros and cons, but all things considered it has been a good choice.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 AM

13,789 posts, read 7,304,624 times
I live in the DFW area of North Texas...I love Texas as I grew up here and I like all that the DFW area has to offer...fast growing metro with a lot to do and an inexpensive cost of living. The heat in the summer gets to me but other than that, I really have no complaints. I'm moving to Chicago though for a new job with my company...along with a change of scenery and climate. It's been 8 years so I'm ready for the move and am actually excited. Folks warn me about having to stay inside during some of the colder winter months and I think to myself how I seem to stay cocooned inside my home under the a/c during the hot summer months here in Texas so it's a trade-off I guess. I lived in Chicago and NYC before coming back to TX so a cold winter won't be that big of a shock..I still have the winter gear of gloves, scarves and hats.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:03 PM

338 posts, read 1,219,626 times
Arrow Find your happy spot! :)

Quote:
Hi,
My husband & I are thinking of moving sometime in the next year or two, ...cost of living is just too much, we're barely making it with 2 incomes right ...I love warm weather ... Does anyone have some suggestions?

Yes! Try this...

Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Quick, fun, and easy - with GREAT info to provide - and it's all FREE!
But.. *do* save using a user name/password. When I bookmarked the page, it was gone before two days saying the time had expired, and I had to take the tests again.

Other than that... I'd suggest... NC (inland); GA (Northern is actually quite nice and is rarely "cold" - go at least an hour North from ATL) - try Alpharetta area; Virginia City, VA; TN (I saw someone mention - it's nice and lower taxes, but landlocked and has colder winters); SC is also nice. However, check for hurricane weather along the SE.

If you don't like cold, stay away from the Midwest, New England, Pac NW, Rockies, and Central plains states! LOL!

Try SW - Albequerque/Santa Fe, NM; Austin, TX; San Antonio, TX; (I know folks in TX); Mesa/Phoenix, AZ. All warm and sunny. And less COL than Orange County.

I'd say FL, but I'm not as keen on hurricane weather. But if I went there, I'd say someplace like Destin (NW in panhandle) - it's nice and clean and not as touristy as Panama City. I've heard Augustine is nice (ATL coast further north in FL), but I haven't been there myself.

Both FL & TX have *no* State Income Tax. Check other taxes though. TX does not charge tax on food and I don't believe prescriptions. You'd have to check property taxes per location.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues