U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 12:25 PM

3,946 posts, read 3,252,301 times

Advertisements

We moved from Denver to Houston in June. It was our 6th move in 14 years, all but one of them large Interstate moves.

We busted our rears in the first 2 weeks and got almost all boxes unpacked and put away, had work done on the house, and it looks really good.

But, we've got about 20 unpacked boxes and I just can't seem to motivate myself to unpack them. All but about 5-7 of the boxes are art, and we are planning to paint the entire house within the next 2 months and don't want anything on the walls, so, I have to perfect excuse to not open them. Plus, they are all sitting in a hidden alcove that is really not visible, so.....

Does this problem plague anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 12:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,130,986 times
In almost all of my past moves, I would get all the boxes unpacked the first week except for the very last one, which would remain packed for years on the floor of a closet, back in a corner.

I moved on July 1st this year, and this time I unpacked everything. I just got in a "mood" one night, unpacked those last few boxes, and disposed of them. I think part of it was due to a delayed closing on the house I was buying, I was fully packed (or very nearly so) for weeks before my moving date. Because of that, I was so tired of living out of boxes that I never want to see a box again!

That said, my art still isn't hung either and I'm not even planning to paint - - I'm just out of energy and have not quite visualized where I want to hang each painting or poster. My move was just across town, though, so none of my art was packed in boxes. I brought it in my SUV.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:10 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,891,714 times
Here's how to go halfway. Open the boxes enough to be sure nothing was damaged. Anything damaged unbox and repair. Then place the boxes near where their final destination will be. They will be in the way enough for you to be motivated to start that painting.

I have two pieces left that I can't find good wall space for. Everything else is up.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 PM

3,946 posts, read 3,252,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Here's how to go halfway. Open the boxes enough to be sure nothing was damaged. Anything damaged unbox and repair. Then place the boxes near where their final destination will be. They will be in the way enough for you to be motivated to start that painting.

I have two pieces left that I can't find good wall space for. Everything else is up.
No good. That will place them in full view again, and I will be unable to ignore them, and will be forced to unpack them......Oh, I see where you're going with this.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:33 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,931,053 times
I moved from Houston to Little Rock last November. I still have 15 or so boxes sitting around the house.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:37 PM

5,052 posts, read 5,983,272 times
I had to hang up my white boards immediately so that my home office was functional, but I left the art and the maps boxed up because I planned on painting. They were in boxes for almost two years. Last month, I finally got around to painting, and now everything is up.

I wish I had gotten to it sooner. The rooms look 100% better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues