Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 PM

131 posts, read 184,280 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning to move from St. Louis to Albuquerque in a month and haven't been able to figure out the best way. My biggest concern is my cat, 13 years old and very neurotic...awful at car trips, has yowled for 4 hours straight before. I've mentioned my move to the vet and will try to get her some meds either way, but I'm wondering if she (and I) might do better with a 6-hour plane trip instead of a 16-hour drive. (Of course, I have nightmares of traumatizing fellow plane passengers, but maybe meds would keep her quiet!)

My other issue is moving my stuff...I have a one-bedroom apartment and am planning to sell most or all of my furniture. But I have two pretty nice cameras, a laptop, thinking about keeping my printer, and a pile of medications for chronic conditions that can't get over-heated. Oh, also lots of paper, handwritten things that would take a long time to scan.

It seems like maybe driving would make the most sense, but I don't like long-distance driving if I can avoid it (especially with an unhappy cat)...and I wonder if mountain roads will be snowy when I go at the end of September. I've thought about shipping my car, but then I can't see how to transport all the fragile stuff and my medication if I'm taking a cat on the plane. Agh...this really is complicated, at least to me, since I've never done something like this before!

Any ideas? I'm also trying to figure out what to do if I sell my bed...little questions like how do I sleep the few nights before I move, and the nights when I get there before I buy a new one? Seems silly, and I guess I'll find a solution...just lots to think about! I will bite the bullet and do the drive with the cat if it's the best way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 02:53 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,554,597 times
Yes, I think you'll need to drive. You've got too much to mange on a plane ride. I wouldn't want to be taking a bunch of meds through security. Your cat won't like the plane ride, either.

Get meds for the cat. I just let mine yowl. She went hoarse after about 2 hours. The next day, she only yowled for 20 minutes and the third day, it was less than 5 minutes.

Split the driving into 2 days, 8 hours each, and stay at a pet-friendly hotel.

Maybe a friend or relative would be willing to drive with you. If not, try to tough it out. It's only two days, and trying to ship your car or take a plane will be much, much worse.

As for the bed, you can get an inflatable bed at Target, Walmart, etc. They aren't wonderful, but they'll do. That's what I used, and I bought a mattress at my new city and had it delivered on Day 2.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,212,808 times
Nervous cat = kitty valium.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 AM

26,899 posts, read 43,398,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes, I think you'll need to drive. You've got too much to mange on a plane ride. I wouldn't want to be taking a bunch of meds through security. Your cat won't like the plane ride, either.

Get meds for the cat. I just let mine yowl. She went hoarse after about 2 hours. The next day, she only yowled for 20 minutes and the third day, it was less than 5 minutes.

Split the driving into 2 days, 8 hours each, and stay at a pet-friendly hotel.

Maybe a friend or relative would be willing to drive with you. If not, try to tough it out. It's only two days, and trying to ship your car or take a plane will be much, much worse.

As for the bed, you can get an inflatable bed at Target, Walmart, etc. They aren't wonderful, but they'll do. That's what I used, and I bought a mattress at my new city and had it delivered on Day 2.
I agree, the best scenario for you. Also you might try Bach's Rescue Remedy instead of tranquilizers which can be hard on pets, much like anesthesia. It's sold at health food stores and some pet stores, or online at their website. You can try it out in advance to see how much is needed and being all natural won't affect his/her health.

Rescue Remedy Pets - The Original Bach Flower Remedies

Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,997,995 times
Rescue Remedy is not very strong and probably won't work.

Get a pill from the vet. Put it in a pill pocket and make the cat a soft bed in a kennel type container that is mostly covered so she cannot see too much. I used a tote and cut a hole in the top big enough to have the cat's head stick out, but no bigger. We moved from Chicago with 2 cats and no problem. I stopped at motels, let the cat out into the room (on a leash) and put a litter box in there and everything was fine. Cats adjust with time. The movement of the car relaxes them.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 AM

131 posts, read 184,280 times
Thanks very much, everyone. Yes, it seems driving's going to have to be it. She's done well with pill pockets (for an antibiotic) before. I may try the Rescue Remedy beforehand, though, to see if it has an effect and might help enough. Thanks for the suggestions.

PhxBarb, when you said you used a tote, what do you mean exactly? (A tote bag made for cats, or...?) I know I'll need to buy something other than the little plastic carrier I have to get her to the vet...she doesn't like that one at all, and I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:38 AM

26,899 posts, read 43,398,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Rescue Remedy is not very strong and probably won't work.
It's been on the market for umpteen years and works fine, many vets recommend it.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:41 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,997,995 times
I got a new plastic large tote box (the kind you put ornaments and christmas decorations in, to store) from Walmart. I cut a hole in the top about 10 x 10 inches, big enough for cat to stick head out, but not get out of the box. Put the cover on it and haul the cat out to the back seat of the car, after administering the pill. Traveled from Chicago to Phoenix with no problem.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:49 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,554,597 times
I used a hard shell cat carrier and tied it onto the seat with string and the seat belts. In the event of a rollover accident, I wanted that carrier staying put! I was I-80 a large part of the time.

Obviously, I drove carefully and didn't take any risks, but anything can happen.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,580,974 times
I would drive over flying, 100 %. We drove cross country w/ 3 cats and a dog years back. It went well. Try to relax because if you tense up, they sense it and act accordingly. I never medicated any of them. They cried, carried on the first 15-20 minutes of each day's trip, but settled down after that. Even when they were quiet, I kinda didn't say much to them cuz they could start to "talk" again. I put on light classical. Make sure your carrier is secure. They do better than us usually. Lol. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues