Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times

Advertisements

So how do you do this???

If you transfered, did your company raise your salary appropriately? If you found a new job, did you get a mega increase in your salary? Did your new employer ask you about your salary at your previous job?

Right now, we can't afford to live any place we are interested in based on my husband's current salary here in AZ. I have compared his salary to his same position in various cities, but they are so drastically different, that him getting that much of an increase doesn't seem plausible and we don't want to wind up somewhere we can't afford to be .

Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
We moved from lower cost ky to higher cost fl. Hubby now makes 1.5 his old salary.

Salary ranges should be adjusted col in the area. We don't live any better than before (same size house, etc) but we do enjoy a few upgrades in our standards of living - house is newer, and all this wonderful weather. Plus hubby works from home 2 days a week.

What you need to be sure of is that the increase in salary matches or betters the increase in col. Making detailed projected budgets will help.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Many people do this not realizing how the difference in COL will be in play. The outcome is not good.

Have you used calculators like this: Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

We did it but it was hard and even with the wage increase that looked attractive, we still scrimped to get by. The biggest advantage was that the high cost of living area had so much more to offer in the way of choices in so many different areas.

Always remember and never forget, when you relocate, make sure if you lose that job you are relocating for that there would be similar job opportunities in that area.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
We moved from lower cost ky to higher cost fl. Hubby now makes 1.5 his old salary.

Salary ranges should be adjusted col in the area. We don't live any better than before (same size house, etc) but we do enjoy a few upgrades in our standards of living - house is newer, and all this wonderful weather. Plus hubby works from home 2 days a week.

What you need to be sure of is that the increase in salary matches or betters the increase in col. Making detailed projected budgets will help.
Wow, 1.5 times! That just seems crazy to me that one could get such a hugely different salary. I understand that our standard of living will be the same even though he'll be making more actual dollars, but I just want to make sure we can actually afford to live in some of these places. My biggest concern is buying a house. The cost for an average run-of-the-mill house in some of these places is more than double where we live now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Many people do this not realizing how the difference in COL will be in play. The outcome is not good.

Have you used calculators like this: Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

We did it but it was hard and even with the wage increase that looked attractive, we still scrimped to get by. The biggest advantage was that the high cost of living area had so much more to offer in the way of choices in so many different areas.

Always remember and never forget, when you relocate, make sure if you lose that job you are relocating for that there would be similar job opportunities in that area.
Yes, these places definitely have better education, activities and weather than where we are now. Thanks for the link. Most of the places we are looking into are large metro areas with low unemployment, so hopefully finding a job won't be too difficult.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Why don't you say where and what you're desiring, both in terms of place and job?

I transferred with the Feds once, they had a higher COL in place for the new area.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Why don't you say where and what you're desiring, both in terms of place and job?

I transferred with the Feds once, they had a higher COL in place for the new area.
1) We are looking at several different areas and 2) The question can be answered without knowing exact locations as it's not a question about a specific area, but rather is it possible to move from a low COL of living area to a high COL area and how.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:52 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
If you gain nothing (or very little) by moving, my question has to be "Why bother?"
I once knew a guy who literally doubled his wages (from $7.50 to $15.00 per hour).
Of course, he moved from North Central Wyoming to Oakland,CA. So, the Cost Of Living plus taxes more than doubled, so he actually LOST money! The CA sales tax was nearly twice what it was in WY at that time, plus CA has an income tax!
That was not a smart move.
Be careful.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If you gain nothing (or very little) by moving, my question has to be "Why bother?"
I once knew a guy who literally doubled his wages (from $7.50 to $15.00 per hour).
Of course, he moved from North Central Wyoming to Oakland,CA. So, the Cost Of Living plus taxes more than doubled, so he actually LOST money! The CA sales tax was nearly twice what it was in WY at that time, plus CA has an income tax!
That was not a smart move.
Be careful.
Because typically higher COL of living places have more to offer, like better education. They education system here is shamefully terrible. The education systems in most (no not all) low COL areas is terrible. We may not gain disposable dollars, but we will gain opportunity. Maybe your friend was bored and miserable in WY and the move was worth it to him.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:18 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
No, the move from Wyoming to Oakland was traumatic and expensive, and he lost money.
the Wyoming school system is a very good one, so that was not an issue.
Lack of shopping could be solved by a 2 hour trip to Billings, MT. Not an issue.
There are always ways to spin something to make it look better than it is. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For many people, the lack of disposable income after the move is much more important than having a municipal symphony (for which you can't afford tickets) available.
Yeah, it was so wonderful in Oakland that in less than 6 months he was back asking for his old job!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
No, the move from Wyoming to Oakland was traumatic and expensive, and he lost money.
the Wyoming school system is a very good one, so that was not an issue.
Lack of shopping could be solved by a 2 hour trip to Billings, MT. Not an issue.
There are always ways to spin something to make it look better than it is. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For many people, the lack of disposable income after the move is much more important than having a municipal symphony (for which you can't afford tickets) available.
Yeah, it was so wonderful in Oakland that in less than 6 months he was back asking for his old job!
A TWO HOUR drive. Geez, let's just zip into town shall we .

There are a thousand reasons why his move didn't work out and they could probably be traced back to personal decisions he made during his journey. Tweek some of his choices and maybe it would have worked out better for him. But you know what? I find it much more admiral to take a risk and fail then spend your life sitting around wondering "what if?"

I am a very thorough person and I am going to tackle this with as much knowledge as possible (hence the thread). I'm not going to sit around in hell sending my kids to ****ty schools because a big move is intimidating and could fail. What a waste!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues