U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:21 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,294,081 times

Advertisements

We are moving out of state and opted for the 28' trailer from AFB Upack. We did have two of the trailers delivered just in case we needed more space but our goal was definitely to only use one. We had it delivered Tuesday morning, and they were exactly on time and the driver was a very friendly and helpful man. We spent the next two days loading it. We did our best to use every open spot and secure things with ratchet straps. The trailer did provide some and we had our own also. We had it packed all the way to the end without much room to spare. It was picked up Thursday, again on time, same friendly driver. Now it's heading to be stored until we are ready to move into our new home in about 3 weeks.

Has anyone else had their trailer stored? I am worried about the things shifting and I know that's a given but it's strange knowing everything we own is on that trailer and we have non access to it for several weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:15 AM

35 posts, read 69,398 times
If you packed well there should be no issues with storage. Any damage will likely happen in transit anyway. The only storage concern would be temperature. Luckily it's starting to cool down.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:00 PM

6,106 posts, read 9,033,158 times
Love UPack. Used it from Chicago to Phoenix with no problems.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:34 PM

9 posts, read 10,560 times
Thanks for sharing, we're pricing them for our upcoming move in a few weeks as well.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:25 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,294,081 times
Wanted to update. My trailer was stored for about 4.5 weeks. When it was delivered, about 70% of the things on it had some form of damage. We thought we were careful, we used moving blankets, we used ratchet straps, etc. and things shifted horribly. We did move into a mountainous area with very winding roads so I know the truck had to travel through that but it was really disappointing since I had spent so much time researching on how to pack a moving truck and did what we thought was right. Luckily we had sold most of our expensive furniture. We've been moved in to our new house for about 6 weeks now. It's not the fault of Upack, they were actually wonderful to work with and were always on time, very friendly drivers.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:45 PM

105 posts, read 111,883 times
My trailer was stored for a month. No problems.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:23 AM

4,211 posts, read 12,528,698 times
We learned a valuable lesson with our one experience with a container, to have it off-loaded end first, not door first. What happened was that when the container was filled and it then traveled up the ramp onto the trailer at pickup and down the ramp at dropoff, everything shifted toward the door. Yes, we had used tons of straps and pieces of plywood throughout, but top boxes fell forward into the area where the container's roll-up door goes when it's opened. So, we couldn't get the door rolled up. Because of the weight shift, some boxes and bins near the door were crushed.

Overall we liked using the container. But next time we'll make sure that the door end isn't facing the back of the trailer, and the last-loaded boxes will be books or other more-sturdy items (no plastic bins) so that those boxes can't be crushed.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,019,149 times
We used a storage container when we moved that had level loading off and on and we did not have any damage or shifting. I also live in the mountains with very twisty curvy roads.

You may want to ask or watch the website videos to see how they load the containers. Keeping them flat is always best

Old 12-06-2015, 08:20 PM

105 posts, read 111,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
We are moving out of state and opted for the 28' trailer from AFB Upack. We did have two of the trailers delivered just in case we needed more space but our goal was definitely to only use one. We had it delivered Tuesday morning, and they were exactly on time and the driver was a very friendly and helpful man. We spent the next two days loading it. We did our best to use every open spot and secure things with ratchet straps. The trailer did provide some and we had our own also. We had it packed all the way to the end without much room to spare. It was picked up Thursday, again on time, same friendly driver. Now it's heading to be stored until we are ready to move into our new home in about 3 weeks.

Has anyone else had their trailer stored? I am worried about the things shifting and I know that's a given but it's strange knowing everything we own is on that trailer and we have non access to it for several weeks.
I had mine stored for a month. No problems, but everything was still ratcheted.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:15 PM

5,049 posts, read 5,975,744 times
I had mine stored for 3 weeks. No problems with anything I packed properly, and I kept the loads "high and tight," using clothing wrapped in clear contractor bags in some of the spaces.

My garden hedgehog broke -- my fault -- that was a last minute "toss in," and I broke several clay pots, also literally tossed in at the last minute. That was okay -- I used them in the bottom of new pots when I got settled.

I was also very pleased with my experience and would use them again if I move out of state or need to store stuff if I'm between houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues