Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 01:31 PM

43 posts, read 537,941 times

Advertisements

Background: Hubby and I are in process of selling our house and hope to close by the end of Feb. We will be leaving TX sometime this summer, and will have to find temporary housing until we leave. So, we have two upcoming moves: out of our house to an apartment in TX, and then out of that apartment to another apartment out of state. Right now, we do not know where we are moving out of state (waiting to hear back from a couple of doctoral programs). We didn't think we would sell our house so soon. Originally, we were planning on using ABF and only having to move once. Now, we are going to put most of our stuff in storage and get the smallest, cheapest apt. we can find. So, our stuff will be in two different places (storage place and apt).

Question: Is it possible to use ABF and have them drop off the trailer at a storage facility? Our back up plan was to go with U-Haul and do it ourselves but by the time we pay gas it will probably be as much as ABF. Or, does anyone have any advice about a better way to approach this. We haven't done anything yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I don't know if ABF will do that, though i can't see why not. If they do that sounds like a very feasible option.

In almost every case I've ever seen if you U-Haul (or any other do-it-yourself mover) it will be cheaper, even after gas than using a moving company.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
What is ABF? Do you have any idea what state you might be moving to? If it was me I would probably sell anything big, especially furniture. I would just keep only items that would fit in either my car or a u-haul trailer and also my temporary apartment in TX.

It costs a lot of money to store things and then move things. I would want the freedom to just pick up and go. You can always buy furniture later on. Sell off as much as you can.

By the way. Congratulations on the sale of your home.

Lisa

Old 01-28-2008, 03:17 PM

43 posts, read 537,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
What is ABF? Do you have any idea what state you might be moving to? If it was me I would probably sell anything big, especially furniture. I would just keep only items that would fit in either my car or a u-haul trailer and also my temporary apartment in TX.

It costs a lot of money to store things and then move things. I would want the freedom to just pick up and go. You can always buy furniture later on. Sell off as much as you can.

By the way. Congratulations on the sale of your home.

Lisa
Thanks. ABF is a moving company that drops off a trailer for you to pack, then they pick it up and drop it off at your new place for you to un-pack. I have heard great things about it. There are some threads about ABF in this forum, if you are interested. Regarding the furniture, we have some nice stuff that we have purchased over the years and would like to keep. So selling it off is not an option that we want to take, although much easier.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Good luck then. I'm not sentimental about anything so I would get rid of it all.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues