Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 4,506 times

Advertisements

I'm in the same boat. I've found Chicago to no longer be a "world class" city even as someone who grew up here. Winters in the upper Midwest around the Great Lakes are of course brutal. But what does it, as you hinted at, is Chicago's cost of living. The taxes are absurd. Double-digit tax on a piece of gum! I wouldn't mind paying higher fees and taxes IF the return was better instracture, more safety, and accessibility. But there's no free parking available anywhere, with pay meters overcharging. Gas prices are still well above the national average. The roads are in horrific shape, despite all the construction (for highly-paid state workers on the road) that they do year-round. Traffic is atrocious; never seen such gridlock inside the city and out to the 'burbs.

I've since been in various locales across the country in my adulthood, and getting a taste of Chicago in the last few weeks has really opened my eyes. There is a reason why Chicago's population in the last several years is the only one amongst America's Top 10 largest cities to stay stagnant and not grow.

In my research right now, I've got a few suggestions on where to go. My personal preferences.

Texas: San Antonio (if you have a family) or Austin (if single).
Florida: West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando
Arizona: Tempe, Phoenix
Colorado: Boulder, Denver
Nevada: Las Vegas (low cost of housing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 11:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejaxo View Post
I don't want a place that overly expensive because I'm not rich, but Chicago's prices are so high on everything already, I highly doubt that there's cities that are extremely higher on cost of living.
Are you joking? When I look at properties in Chicago I can hardly believe how cheap they are! According to Trulia the median home price in Chicago is only $270,000. Compare that with the median home price in San Francisco of $1,100,000.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Are you joking? When I look at properties in Chicago I can hardly believe how cheap they are! According to Trulia the median home price in Chicago is only $270,000. Compare that with the median home price in San Francisco of $1,100,000.
Comparing Chicago with San Fran, the most expensive housing market in the USA, isn't fair. Try comparing the cost of living (including wages, employment, economy, etc.) in Illinois' largest city with the other Top 10 largest cities in America to understand what the original poster meant.

Just google the recent study released that found Chicago the 7th most expensive city in the WORLD.

I wouldn't mind living in Chicago with all of its taxes, regulations and crime if it produced the kind of vibrant, up-all-night energy found in more expensive places like San Fran, Los Angeles and New York City.

Last edited by bumpercruncher; 10-05-2015 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Comparing Chicago with San Fran, the most expensive housing market in the USA, isn't fair. Try comparing the cost of living (including wages, employment, economy, etc.) in Illinois' largest city with the other Top 10 largest cities in America to understand what the original poster meant.

Here's a little recent news: Chicago named 7th most expensive city -- in the world - Chicago Tribune

I wouldn't mind living in Chicago with all of its taxes, regulations and crime if it produced the kind of vibrant, up-all-night energy found in more expensive places like San Fran, Los Angeles and New York City.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercruncher View Post
That article is a complete joke! It says "Part of what makes Chicago so expensive is the cost of clothing, according to the report." Even if that were true one could always buy their clothing online. Also there are at least a dozen Target stores in Cook County and their prices are about the same all over the USA. Also Chicago has the same chain stores like TJ Maxx so overall costs will not vary that much.

Chicago is not even the 7th most expensive city in the United States. NY, Boston , LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Washington DC, Honolulu, San Jose & Denver are all more expensive than Chicago. Probably a few others too. Chicago has a ridiculously high sales tax but the state income tax is only 3.75%(as of Jan. 1,2015). Compare that to a top rate of 13.3 percent in California and 8.82% in New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercruncher View Post
Chicago is about 10x more vibrant than San Francisco which is totally dead at night in most areas of the city. I love LA but in LA everyone drives everywhere and it cannot match the street vibrancy of urban Chicago.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Come to Phoenix. We have room here. Lots of it...

AND Portillo's and Lou Malnati (soon)!

Last edited by AZgarden; 10-07-2015 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues