U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:29 AM

30 posts, read 42,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingHome88 View Post
Hi there. I was looking for some advice, suggestions or thoughts as to whether or not I should try and convince my husband to move back to Florida.

My husband and I are both native Floridians, and we moved to Colorado a little over 2 years ago for his job. We got our relocation costs completely paid for by his company and he was required to stay here for at least 2 years. If we left sooner than that we would have to pay back relocation costs. His brother and sister-in-law had also moved out here, but recently moved back to Florida. So, we have been here now for 2 and a half years and up until recently I wasn't feeling homesick, really. I mean, I missed my friends and family, but not enough to make me feel depressed, which I do now. We are now having our first house built and have already invest around 4K, and if we were to back out we would lose it. I do have a job here, and I dont hate it, and would actually love to be able to telecommute if we moved back. What neither my husband or I have, are friends here. We did join a meetup group for doggie play dates at a local dog park, which meets every other Thursday, but still dont seem to be making any real connections. Now, that doesnt really bother my husband too much, as he's not very social, hes very much an introvert, but Im the opposite.

Recently, within the last few months, Ive started really missing Florida, everything about Florida, the humidity, the beaches, the smell of the ocean, my friends, family and my in-laws. I did tell my husband that Im feeling homesick and miss Florida, and he just responded with "We'll have to start visiting once a year". We got married in November 2014 and had our wedding in Florida, so that was less than a year ago, and I remember when we got to Florida, I felt like I was home, and didn't want to come back to Colorado (I was only happy to be back in Colorado, to see my dogs again).

I've already estimated out the cost of moving, and I'm estimating it would cost around 8 or 9K. But I really want to move back to Florida, is there anyway I could convince my husband to move back? Or am I being selfish?
Hello from a Central Floridian.... My first inclination was to simply respond "don't do it."
But... if you are sure you LOVE Florida that much, I'd suggest making sure your husband is 100% on board. Even if he has no opinion now, he may resent the lost $4k into the house you're working on and may even really like it in CO. I can relate to convincing a spouse to move though, as mine is just now coming around to the idea of moving to GA or SC with me after spending all his life in FL like me.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 12,336 times
Thank you for all of the responses! You all have been so helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU2016 View Post
Hello from a Central Floridian.... My first inclination was to simply respond "don't do it."
But... if you are sure you LOVE Florida that much, I'd suggest making sure your husband is 100% on board. Even if he has no opinion now, he may resent the lost $4k into the house you're working on and may even really like it in CO. I can relate to convincing a spouse to move though, as mine is just now coming around to the idea of moving to GA or SC with me after spending all his life in FL like me.
My husband has finally got on board with moving back to Florida. It was his idea to go to the builder yesterday to let them know we would be backing out. Discussing this move back with him also allowed us to be 100% open and honest with one another, and he told me that he had no idea how unhappy I was here and how important having family near by meant to me, especially when we decide to have children. He will be talking to his manager to let him know of our intent to move back and to see if he would be able to get a transfer back, although it would not be in the same position or department he told me, since his department is no longer in Florida. But he was in other departments in the same company back in Florida and has been with his company for 10 years, so I am not too worried about him being able to get another position back in Florida. We agreed on staying in Colorado for one more year to allow us time to save extra money for the move back, and so that we are not rushing.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:18 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,359,979 times
What area in Florida would you move back to...if you don't mind me asking ?

Old 10-16-2015, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 12,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
What area in Florida would you move back to...if you don't mind me asking ?
We would be moving back to the Clearwater/St. Petersburg area.

And to other comments asking about kids, we do not have any kids yet, at least no human kids :P

Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 PM

169 posts, read 334,069 times
It's actually wonderful that a full "airing" of feelings was necessary, it gave you both a joint commitment to pull in tandem for your future. Your marriage is so young; good communication patterns are essential for success!

Congratulations! Now just look for a home with some elevation - I don't know about Pinellas & Hillsborough, but I have some friends on Key Biscayne who are nervous about the increase in flood events in their condo complexes.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 609 times
Check out "Upack" cost of moving should be half of your estimate. It was around $3,800.00. To reduce cost move during middle of the month aND week...prices are increased on holidays, first and end of the month. Good Luck

Old 12-19-2015, 04:22 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,837,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingHome88 View Post
We would be moving back to the Clearwater/St. Petersburg area.

And to other comments asking about kids, we do not have any kids yet, at least no human kids :P
Happy to hear he is on board with moving back. Sounds like that is best for you and seems he isnt reluctant either. We are planning a move down as well to Port Charlotte area. We are moving by ourselves, selling about everything. Renting a good sized uhaul to drive down and my parents will be driving our car. Should be under $2500 for expenses. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2019, 12:05 PM

75 posts, read 150,070 times
Default So, did you move back to FL?

I was wondering if you ended up making the move back to FL? I desperately miss Florida and want to move back. I've lived in Colorado over 8 years and it just has never felt like home. It is brown and dead from November through April. I discovered I truly hate cold, I hate snow, I hate bitter winds. It is winter until mid May! Didn't realize I am truly a beach person way more than a mountain person. I find mountains are creepy lonely and sad; beaches just emit such feelings of complete happiness. I could go on and on with a long list of why I prefer FL to CO. Florida certainly has its bad too, believe me, but the good far outweigh the bad in my opinion. I miss its sparkle, bright days, beautiful rainstorms, gorgeous palm trees, orange blossoms, bouganvilla and tropical breezes. Sigh. We are living abroad for a couple years and then we are moving back to FL asap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or