Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:52 PM

13 posts, read 25,675 times

Advertisements

Whenever this question is asked everyone says its a bad idea but I'm wondering how many people have actually done it. What was your experience?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:20 AM

287 posts, read 326,965 times
When I left the house for college, my cousin moved in and took my old bed. He was 17 at the time and entering his senior year in high school. He lived with my parents that entire school year plus the next summer. My aunt and uncle- his parents- moved across state for a job and my cousin did not want to spend his last year of high school at a new school away from all his friends. It worked out very well- although my younger brother hated it. He thought he was finally going to get the bedroom to himself after sharing it with me his entire life!

Old 10-07-2015, 05:25 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Whether it is a good idea or not has a lot to do with what your plan is. So, what are the details of your plan.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
I haven't done it, but an older half-sibling did this and moved in with friends of the family. He stayed in school and got a job after graduation. It was either that or go into foster care. The other half-siblings were removed from the home and split up into different foster homes. My oldest half-brother just happened to have a best friend whose parents were agreeable to the idea of letting him stay there so long as he stayed in school.

I know someone else who tried it, but she didn't stay gone long before she moved back in with her mother and finished school. She moved out after HS and continued her education and became a nurse.

It's possible, but that's the fast track to growing up--you're completely responsible for yourself once you're on your own. You have to pay your own bills, and there's no one to bail you out. Mind you, if you come from a family where your parents are idiots who never have your back anyway, then moving out might be a reasonable option.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Whether it is a good idea or not has a lot to do with what your plan is. So, what are the details of your plan.
When i asked this question I didn't really have a plan I was just more curious about others. But now that someone's asked me I'll give a plan. I can't really move in with relatives or anything. So my plan would be working 30 hours a week and paying for a room on Craig'slist for around 400-500 a month

Old 10-07-2015, 07:59 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I would look to move in with a friends family and give them some money to help.

Going to HS and working almost full time, will have a effect on your grades, How would you get to/from work?

Are your parents on board with this plan?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:21 PM

It's my senior year so most of my classes are electives. The only two classes I have to worry about are economics and English. They usually give us time to do homework in class and I have time at lunch so I think I can get most of my work done during school.*

My parents are definitely not on board with this plan.*

I was considering moving in with my Aunt because she lives in a four bedroom house with her son (recent college grad) and his girlfriend, but since my parents are against this plan I think she might be hesitant to entertain the idea.*

Same with moving in with my friend's family. I'm pretty close with one of my friend's family but they are kind of friends with my parents, and my parents are against my plan.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would look to move in with a friends family and give them some money to help.

Going to HS and working almost full time, will have a effect on your grades, How would you get to/from work?

Are your parents on board with this plan?
^^

Old 10-07-2015, 02:01 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
You sound mature. But what you are talking about would be a lot of work. You would have to eat also. Would you do your own cooking? That would mean some shopping...is there some reason why you cant keep living with your parents? Being on your own is a time that comes way too fast anyway.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:26 PM

22 posts, read 24,783 times
I lived on my own at 17 years old, because my parents died when I was younger and I was aging out of the foster jail system.

For the fall semester, I rented a room. Now, I did receive a stipend from the state that paid for my rent until I turned 18 years old. However, my parents taught me as a little girl the value of hard work and saving, so I still worked as if I had to pay it myself. I saved the difference. So I could have made it without the stipend, but it would have left little for the savings account.

Another thing I had that fall semester was the school work release. I was in the program where I could leave school at lunch and go to work afterwards. That really helped in terms of being able to afford living on my own. However, the job I worked at was a bank, so my hours were not longer than 6PM at that time, so I didn't necessarily make more money, but I did have more time for studying. I had excellent grades and I kept it that way.

I graduated high school at the end of that fall semester and went to a local community college in the spring. I moved out and into a two-bedroom apartment closer to the college. It cost me double the price, so I did end up paying that double portion out of my own paycheck. It did leave little to put into savings, but I made it work.

I briefly had a roommate, but quickly learned I liked living on my own even though I really loved my friend. She was a faithful roommate, so if you don't mind living with someone else and they faithfully pay half the rent, definitely consider it! She was also 17 years old and came from a great family that trusted her to make it on her own. She was very responsible and had excellent grades to prove it.

All I have to say is that if you put your mind to accomplishing it, you can do it with strict diligence to keeping your priorities straight. Honestly, I don't see the difference between senior year of high school and freshmen year of college. You're going to have to do this at some point. I'm a mom, so I have an inkling as to what your parents are thinking, but since I've done it, I'm of the mindset that kids with a good head on their shoulders should be allowed to branch out when they think they are ready to do it. If they fail because they simply underestimated the challenges, so what? Help them through it. If they fail because they made poor choices (e.g. partying instead of studying), then as a parent I would be upset, but I'd still consider it a lesson learned and talk to them about making better choices.

So yes, it can be done if you're a wise young person. If you're foolish, then don't be surprised when you fail. Be the wise kid and keep your priorities straight. I wish you well if you decide to do this.

I'm assuming you're 18 years old and old enough to move out without your parents permission?

Last edited by MeerkatMama; 10-07-2015 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues