Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 11:30 PM

61 posts, read 56,829 times

Advertisements

moving is always stressful, the departure, new places, the logistics of it all plus the cleaning etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 07:07 AM

6 posts, read 6,606 times
Moving IS scary! You'd feel the same way if you were moving to a different area of your current town/city. It looks like you're already ready. You've researched the area. You love the area. DO IT! Yes, it will take some time to get accustomed to your new home, the new area and new people......but you'll ultimately look back to find that it was definitely worth it.

I'm in the same boat right now. 15 years ago, I accepted a new job in the DC area, so I quit my job and sold my home. I knew a few people in the new area, but didn't have any close friends or family in the vicinity. I was TERRIFIED! But I embraced the area (even the infamous DC traffic) & had a blast discovering new things and meeting new people. Looking back, I've never, ever, ever regretted the decision to relocate here. I've grown both personally and professionally.

NOW, I'm faced with the option of moving back home to the Richmond, VA area. I was born & raised in the area. I know the area very well. I have a ton of family & friends in the area. The cost of living (compared to DC) is much lower. Guess what? I'M TERRIFIED (again)!

I certainly understand your dilemma..........

Old 10-17-2015, 09:03 AM

107 posts, read 125,686 times
VaClassisFairlane88, thank you for your comment. change is hard but I'm ready. wish I could move now to be honest. don't want to do another Ct winter but our son needs to graduate so we wait. you have to do what's best for you and what makes you happy ya know. if you think moving back to your home town will be good for you then go for it. I know how you feel about cost of living very expensive here in Ct you know that living in DC. and the weather just plan yuk. wishing you the best in what ever you choose.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:11 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,422 times
Its another change one makes in life. Did I need this new car, starting a new job, moving to a neighborhood in your area or out of state. My daughter and family moved from our city to TeX and in a few years would like to settle in NC. Once all get settled in life returns to normal with new friends,places to visit and much more.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM

luv my dayton, you are so right. change will be hard but we have so much to look forward to.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:51 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,938,156 times
At least if you move, you will KNOW if it is better there than in Connecticut. If you don't move, you might always wonder if life would have been better in Clayton, NC.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn Trulove View Post
utopianslums, I agree with you. I don't want to put money down on an apt and then move again. moving and unpacking twice is enough. renting is not cheap. you have to put down deposit's and I have a cat. then when you leave the apt you have to repack move and clean. way to much for my family to go through. good luck to ya
I moved from MA to florida saw a place and just bought it and moved. First renting would be too costly and packing boxes twice. I also did NC and loved apex area but it was too much money to buy.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I moved from MA to florida saw a place and just bought it and moved. First renting would be too costly and packing boxes twice. I also did NC and loved apex area but it was too much money to buy.

It can't always be about money, buying a house before you know you like the area and feel at home is foolish, better to rent for a year.

Getting stuck in a place you find you don't like costs you in the long run.

I have known a few people who have found themselves in this positon, sometimes the marriage becomes long distance as one spouse has taken a job back in their home state, while the other has to stick around trying to sell(AKA....unload) the house.

And I know a few people who moved to FL and found the weather to be too hot and humid for too long, the housing market tanked and they couldn't sell. So they were basically stuck for a few years, and not happy about it.

It doesn't get much worse than living in area you don't like. You can try and make the best of it, but you know you don't want to be there.

Better to have pack and unpack one more time, make sure you really want to live there before buying.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:12 AM

351 posts, read 491,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn Trulove View Post
Brit3218, if I were single with no kid's I would do it in a heart beat. my son is 17 and ready to graduate. he want's to go to collage down in NC so the timing is good. but as you said it's scary,but I need a change. the winter's are horrible I love snow but only a little at a time not 10 inches one day 9 another. Boston had more. don't know how you all did it. the cost of living is very expensive here as well. for the size home I have I can have a much larger one down there and still noy pay as much in taxes. your young I say go for it. best of luck to you and chin up WE can do this.
I'm in a similar situation having wanted to move to FL for two years. I'm scared too (I'm a single mom with 3 kids) but I have decided I will look at a move as a 2 year commitment. If I'm not happy in two years, I move back. At least I will never wonder 'what if'.

Don't rent your current house. Sell it. It is an emotional and financial PITA to manage a rental out of state. While not every renter will trash a rental, no one will care for it like the owner.

You mention your son wants to move too. This should be a slam dunk for you. Go. I bet in 6 months you will be posting how happy you are!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:36 AM

Sandsam, thank you for your comment. yes we will sell our house here in CT I hope. I do not want to rent it out because I have seen first hand what renters can do to someone else's home. some do not care because it's not there's. my son is excited to move. he feel's there is so much more to do in Clayton Vs Ledyard and he love's the weather. he does not like the cold. we both know that change is hard but in the long run financially we will both be better off. my husband's family live's in Tampa, they pay less for there homes and alot of other thing's even compared to NC. and you are right wondering "what if" if we fail then so be it but the odd's are very good we will not. but we will know because we took the chances. wishing you and your children the best in your journey. Karyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues