U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:26 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,364,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliekristine629 View Post
We have a contract to buy a home in a southern state. It will be our retirement home, where we hope to stay a long while.

Problem is, we've learned that the neighbor has been a real problem with the current homeowner. The homes and lot lines are very close to each other.

The neighbor has lived in her home for about one year. She and her husband don't work, and don't quite fit with the rest of the neighbors. They seem to have a means of support, but no class. She and her husband have allegedly lived in 15 places over the last 20 years, according to the seller.

Our home seller and her "got into it" last year. The neighbor keeps an excessive amount of dogs, and reportedly beats them. She used to throw the dog poop into the canal/river behind the house until the home seller reported this.

The neighbor also likes to feed the sea gulls near our property line, causing the birds to poop all over our dock and pool area. Just this week, she told our home seller to go F*#@ herself, when asked to politely stop.

Last year, the neighbor and our home seller signed a court agreement to not interfere or butt heads with one another. Seems like this is not working.

Our home seller, whom we've spoken to often, tells how much she can't wait to move and get away from this neighbor. When we tell her this worries US, she says not to worry, since "there's two of you". That one of us can be a witness.

While we're awaiting our closing, we're having second thoughts on the purchase. There are very few homes in our price range in this area, so it's hard to walk on this home.

Would you buy this house? Assume no battle lines, and hope for the best?

Nope! Run screaming from that house. It is not worth the headaches and the smell of doogie poo wafting over your BBQ. We have friends with a large pack of dogs next to them and they do not get a moments piece. Even at 1 am the dogs bark and go out to do their business. You can't have a fence high enough. My Friends had to go to court to cut down the noise but it just returns.

Why , oh why would you even think of putting up with that? You are like an abused wife who thinks she can change her boyfriend that puts her in the ER once a month.

Moving next to such a stressful place may shorten your retirement! Think on that as the ulcers wait to happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:25 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,956,352 times
Nope. I'd pass on that property. I pity the current owner who may not be able to sell the house because of a bad neighbor.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:04 AM

12,614 posts, read 14,012,323 times
Quote:
....Would you buy this house? Assume no battle lines, and hope for the best?
NEVER!!!! The fact that the seller is running off at the mouth to a potential buyer shows you how horrible the situation is.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:05 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,116,578 times
(Our home seller, whom we've spoken to often, tells how much she can't wait to move and get away from this neighbor. When we tell her this worries US, she says not to worry, since "there's two of you". That one of us can be a witness.)

That has to be the craziest thing I have ever heard... WITNESS TO WHAT? I have seen too many FEAR THY NEIGHBOR shows on ID Discovery I guess......NO WAY would I move in there....Knowing they had to sign a documrent to keep the peace would keep me away....she just sounds volatile like people on this show....and they are true stories of people thinking they will be OK and can handle living next to psychos... I just wouldn't move somewhere hoping the neighbor was moving any day.....hope things work out....

Old 10-27-2015, 05:12 AM

7,980 posts, read 3,441,073 times
The dog abuse part scares me. They have no feelings to abuse a poor animal. I would not want to be anywhere close to these people. (Using the word loosely)

Old 10-27-2015, 05:55 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,148,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
NEVER!!!! The fact that the seller is running off at the mouth to a potential buyer shows you how horrible the situation is.
This is what I was thinking. I've had horrible neighbors and wouldn't want to live it again.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:02 AM

1,612 posts, read 1,613,674 times
Quote:
Would you buy this house? Assume no battle lines, and hope for the best?
Not at all. I would run from that situation.

Annoying neighbors really irritate me so if I knew in advance of buying a house that there was someone like that already there, I would not buy it no matter how much I liked the house or what a good deal it is. The problem is is that an annoying neighbor could move into a place next door to you at anytime, so the only real solution is to get a large property and make sure you have no chance of there being any neighbors around you. A lot of people can't afford that however. Still, if I knew there was one straight-off, I still wouldn't buy it. I'd look into another option where there is at least the chance of there not being a real annoying neighbor right off from the start.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 AM

3,853 posts, read 5,293,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Nope! Run screaming from that house. It is not worth the headaches and the smell of doogie poo wafting over your BBQ. We have friends with a large pack of dogs next to them and they do not get a moments piece. Even at 1 am the dogs bark and go out to do their business. You can't have a fence high enough. My Friends had to go to court to cut down the noise but it just returns.

Why , oh why would you even think of putting up with that? You are like an abused wife who thinks she can change her boyfriend that puts her in the ER once a month.

Moving next to such a stressful place may shorten your retirement! Think on that as the ulcers wait to happen!
Analogy of the DAY!!

Seriously OP, you've received advice from those who have experienced this sort of nightmare first hand. I don't care if you get that house for a song and a dance, it will be worth Zero to you if this plays out like you've posted. Bail.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:53 AM

14,605 posts, read 8,417,553 times
Quote:
Hmmm.... no takers? I'm kind of surprised.

Do you think I can rely on one side of the story? (the home seller)
Very wise POV, OP. Other posters are automatically assuming everything the seller says is true. It takes two to argue. Maybe the seller is a witch of a next door neighbor. Although it would appear that telling OP about her problems with the neighbor is contrary to her best interest, there might be an underlying motivation she is doing so. Perhaps she doesn't want to sell the house at all. Many sellers have their home on the market, but don't really want to sell it for a variety of reasons, such as emotional attachment, divorce, too much hassle to move, whatever. Take what the seller says with a grain of salt. if you really want the home, why not meet the next door neighbors yourself before putting in the contract? See if they will talk to you, if only for a few moments. If they will, your impression will tell you a lot. And ask the surrounding neighbors about them and get their opinions. That way, you can make a truly informed decision. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2015, 07:24 AM

186 posts, read 150,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Very wise POV, OP. Other posters are automatically assuming everything the seller says is true. It takes two to argue. Maybe the seller is a witch of a next door neighbor. Although it would appear that telling OP about her problems with the neighbor is contrary to her best interest, there might be an underlying motivation she is doing so. Perhaps she doesn't want to sell the house at all. Many sellers have their home on the market, but don't really want to sell it for a variety of reasons, such as emotional attachment, divorce, too much hassle to move, whatever. Take what the seller says with a grain of salt. if you really want the home, why not meet the next door neighbors yourself before putting in the contract? See if they will talk to you, if only for a few moments. If they will, your impression will tell you a lot. And ask the surrounding neighbors about them and get their opinions. That way, you can make a truly informed decision. Good luck!
I think you hit the nail on the head!

Here's the deeper "poop" folks: (Nuthin' but the facts)

Background:
* Home seller inherited the home from her late BF who passed away 5 years ago.
* His 3 children expected to receive the house, along with all his cash.
* His son, who was executor, disputed the seller getting house and half the cash.
* In court, she was awarded the home and cash, 4 years ago.
* Home seller is quickly running out of money, and is a heavy drinker.
* She must sell home, and told us she doesn't want to leave, in spite of neighbor.
(she must love a good fight)

Current:

* Home is under contract by us.
* Home sale has been delayed since we can't get title insurance. Title agent wants to see trust
that awarded her the house. Seller threw out trust after court, and kids won't cough it up.
Attorney representing estate has also "misplaced" it.

* Seller hired an attorney to get court to declare a lost trust. Might take affidavits from parties.
* Seller appreciates our patience, and has offered to lower price by 4%.

* I briefly said "hello" to this neighbor and her husband during the home inspection. They did look "rough", but I try not to judge people.
That said, I kind of felt like she was sizing me up. I guess I was doing the same, having heard the stories from the home seller.

So there you have it. We have plenty of time to reconsider our decision. The first 30 day extension from the original closing date is up next week. That's why I had the time and motivation to go on City Data to get another perspective from outside observers.

As for acting like an abused wife, I have the ability, along with my spouse to bail on this deal. We are in control, as I see it. We can still get our earnest money back next week if we want it.

I'll duck and wait for the responses now!

Last edited by Juliekristine629; 10-27-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues