Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Depends on the disclosure laws of the State, if any.

In California we have a duty to disclose anything that could material affect the value of the property negatively... unless forbidden by law... such has when a recent death occurred from AIDS... at least this was the case last I checked.

Many seasoned Real Estate professionals err on the side of caution and advise their clients to do the same... both must generally disclose and there is a State Form too.
I understand that, but this is just a case per the first post of the seller just running her mouth.

I can understand the owner having to disclose certain information, but telling a perspective buyer "I can't wait to get away from here" and how horrible the neighbor is.

I don't see how that helps you selling the home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 PM

186 posts, read 212,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I understand that, but this is just a case per the first post of the seller just running her mouth.

I can understand the owner having to disclose certain information, but telling a perspective buyer "I can't wait to get away from here" and how horrible the neighbor is.

I don't see how that helps you selling the home?
I'm glad for the information, so that I can make an informed choice.

Beyond that, because it flies in the face of logic, I have to question the source and authenticity of the story.

Any chance the seller is trying to assuage her guilt about picking a fight? Or that she really doesn't want to sell, and is emotionally tied to the house where her boyfriend of many years died?

We'll still plan on getting out and knocking on some doors in the neighborhood before we agree to continue pursuing this property.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:11 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,612,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliekristine629 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head!

Here's the deeper "poop" folks: (Nuthin' but the facts)

Background:
* Home seller inherited the home from her late BF who passed away 5 years ago.
* His 3 children expected to receive the house, along with all his cash.
* His son, who was executor, disputed the seller getting house and half the cash.
* In court, she was awarded the home and cash, 4 years ago.
* Home seller is quickly running out of money, and is a heavy drinker.
* She must sell home, and told us she doesn't want to leave, in spite of neighbor.
(she must love a good fight)

Current:

* Home is under contract by us.
* Home sale has been delayed since we can't get title insurance. Title agent wants to see trust
that awarded her the house. Seller threw out trust after court, and kids won't cough it up.
Attorney representing estate has also "misplaced" it.

* Seller hired an attorney to get court to declare a lost trust. Might take affidavits from parties.
* Seller appreciates our patience, and has offered to lower price by 4%.

* I briefly said "hello" to this neighbor and her husband during the home inspection. They did look "rough", but I try not to judge people.
That said, I kind of felt like she was sizing me up. I guess I was doing the same, having heard the stories from the home seller.

So there you have it. We have plenty of time to reconsider our decision. The first 30 day extension from the original closing date is up next week. That's why I had the time and motivation to go on City Data to get another perspective from outside observers.

As for acting like an abused wife, I have the ability, along with my spouse to bail on this deal. We are in control, as I see it. We can still get our earnest money back next week if we want it.

I'll duck and wait for the responses now!
Christ on a cracker, this is THAT house? What a waste of time to even read the thread.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
I'm glad for the information, so that I can make an informed choice.

Beyond that, because it flies in the face of logic, I have to question the source and authenticity of the story.

Any chance the seller is trying to assuage her guilt about picking a fight? Or that she really doesn't want to sell, and is emotionally tied to the house where her boyfriend of many years died?

We'll still plan on getting out and knocking on some doors in the neighborhood before we agree to continue pursuing this property.
How long ago did he pass, do you know? The reason I ask is after a husband/wife or partner passes it's best to give it a year before selling.

I honestly can't think of a reason why someone would want to sabotage their own sale, unless they don't want to sell.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 PM

510 posts, read 714,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Depends on the disclosure laws of the State, if any.

In California we have a duty to disclose anything that could material affect the value of the property negatively... unless forbidden by law... such has when a recent death occurred from AIDS... at least this was the case last I checked.
Er, you can't contract AIDS from buying a house or living where someone died of the disease. Why would it matter if someone had it there? A murder I can understand might need to be disclosed, but an infectious disease that requires intimate contact to get? Uh, no. Hopefully there is more explanation for this, otherwise:

Old 10-27-2015, 08:17 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
Er, you can't contract AIDS from buying a house or living where someone died of the disease. Why would it matter if someone had it there? A murder I can understand might need to be disclosed, but an infectious disease that requires intimate contact to get? Uh, no. Hopefully there is more explanation for this, otherwise:
Simply stating the law in California as a lay person...

So Grandma passing away at age 99 might have to be disclosed... a 30 year old passing away from aids must not be disclosed.

Exceptions
CCCS 1710.2 makes an exception for deaths caused by acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Federal law classifies AIDS as a disability, so disclosure of someone's death due to this cause is considered discriminatory. California law also provides that if you actually ask the seller or lessor about deaths that may have occurred on the property, the owner can't lie. The California Association of Realtors recommends that their agents come clean if questioned, no matter how long ago the death occurred. This doesn't hold true for AIDS-related deaths, however.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/laws-re...nia-46748.html

Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,079,288 times
Quote:
We have a contract to buy a home in a southern state. It will be our retirement home, where we hope to stay a long while.

Problem is, we've learned that the neighbor has been a real problem with the current homeowner. The homes and lot lines are very close to each other.

Would you buy this house? Assume no battle lines, and hope for the best?
Lot lines very close to each other spells trouble, problem neighbors to boot, no thank you!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,612,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Lot lines very close to each other spells trouble, problem neighbors to boot, no thank you!
Aren't lot lines usually shared between properties? How can they not be close, they measure the point where the land belongs to someone else?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,079,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Aren't lot lines usually shared between properties? How can they not be close, they measure the point where the land belongs to someone else?
Dunno, maybe these are zero lot lines, either way, too close for comfort.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I bring your attention to this cautionary tale of how far neighbors can go to torture people they don't like:

Cops: Florida Couple Stalked a Woman for Being French - The Daily Beast
Somebody there is being too polite. You can't just put up with that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues