U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is it like to move during the winter?
I have moved during the winter (in a cold climate) and it is not a big deal 10 43.48%
I have moved during the winter (in a cold climate) and it was a total pain 4 17.39%
I have never moved during the winter (in a cold climate) 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:00 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,135,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
No offense, but that's a royal pain and I'd be looking at a different company's pod containers! :-) However, I'm guessing price comparisons is a big factor and/or because it's a condo there's no place to drop a container for a few days' time, so I'm definitely not chastising!

I get it though -- the only driving you'd be doing is local shuttles on each end. With this I'm guessing it means that you'd reserve for a specific day and not for a span of days? That would make a difference if there had been bad weather or was bad weather. Does UHaul allow you to make a reservation on short notice or make reservation changes with short notice without any kind of financial penalty? If so, when the time does come, you can watch the weather and reserve accordingly.

While it's definitely wise to think ahead, if I was in your shoes I wouldn't worry about the actual move. When that time actually arrives, and since you've thought ahead, you'll have Plans A, B, and C and all will be well.
Why is this method a royal pain?! It doesn't get much easier than that. All driving is only done locally, and you can let your stuff sit in storage until you find a place to live. I've done it a few times already. If you drive a UHAUL truck across the country, you already have to have a home secured to move the stuff into. What I do, is live with family or in a hotel for a week or two until I secure an apartment, after moving to the new place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 PM

4,213 posts, read 12,569,455 times
I wasn't saying a container was a royal pain because it is more convenient than a truck or hiring a mover. Reading the rest of that sentence I said I'd prefer a different company's pod container. United Van Line, PackRat, etc. deliver the container to your home, pick it from your home when it's full, store it until you need it, then deliver it to your new address. With these companies they do all the driving, so negotiating icy roads or snow banks falls on them not you. So, it does get much easier than the UBox UHaul method.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:40 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,135,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I wasn't saying a container was a royal pain because it is more convenient than a truck or hiring a mover. Reading the rest of that sentence I said I'd prefer a different company's pod container. United Van Line, PackRat, etc. deliver the container to your home, pick it from your home when it's full, store it until you need it, then deliver it to your new address. With these companies they do all the driving, so negotiating icy roads or snow banks falls on them not you. So, it does get much easier than the UBox UHaul method.
That cannot be done at most apartment and condo complexes. Their policy disallows anyone leaving a huge container sitting in the parking lot. So I have to do the ubox.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,042,727 times
I did several times. Not a big deal unless you make it one or are very stressed if things do not go exactly as planned. Ya gotta do with the flow.

1. Your stuff may arrive late due to weather, traffic, the schedule picking up other folk's stuff and unloading it. When our stuff was 2 weeks late, we just camped in our new house. Girls loved the sleeping bags on the floor and minimal simple meals...one pot dishes. So if you can make it an adventure for the family instead of a stressed out time, they will go ahead with it being a fun adventure.

2. Place the moving van/container as close to the house as possible if the weather is rainy or snowy. Have light weight plastic sheeting to put over the stuff while carrying it to the truck/container. Try to keep it dry. Be prepared to dry it off with towels, etc. prior to covering it with the moving blankets, etc. so you do not have water spots or wet soggy stuff on arrival. Set up a wet area in the truck for the stuff to be put for drying, then cover that area with plastic before packing stuff on the wet area to protect the bottom of the stuff.

3. Be prepared to get great bargains buying in the winter

Old 11-03-2015, 02:53 AM

11,270 posts, read 8,439,906 times
I really don't know if my moves qualify. I left CT for HI at New Years (12/28) and moved from MS to CT in April once. I'm back in CT now and I don't think you can accurately predict what the weather will be like when you make the jump. It will only be a couple of days of upheaval once you get here, won't it? We used a storage unit to immediately unload the truck, stayed in a motel until our house closed. Then we renovated the house (ongoing) and eventually got all our stuff out of storage.

Plan it out. You'll be fine! (of course the locals say the giant acorns indicate a bad winter)

GOOD LUCK WITH THE JOB SITUATION!!!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:33 PM

18,891 posts, read 7,353,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
No, the way it works, is that I would rent a pickup truck with UHAUL and hitch one of their UBoxes onto the truck, then drive it to my condo and fill it up, then drive back to the UHAUL place and drop off the UBox there. I have a lot of stuff, so I would need about 2 Uboxes. Then, UHAUL ships the UBox containers to your desired destination city and they leave it in a storage facility on-site. Once I move to the new city, I rent a UHAUL pickup truck again, hitch the Ubox on it and drive it to my new home and unload everything, then drive it back to the UHAUL place and drop off the pickup truck and Ubox. Using this method, I would not have to drive a UHAUL truck across the country. Instead, they do the driving for me, and it costs less as well. It also allows my stuff to stay in Storage for a while, until I find an apartment.
They will , for a free, deliver and drop off UBoxes via 3rd party moving guys they affiliate with.

1st step though is getting a job, obviously. Until then, things are unsettled.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:58 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,073,752 times
Just ask a Canadian! Here I am!
Do not freak out over this trip. It is not that bad, honest.
I presume you are driving some distance to your destination and not moving locally and you expect the roads to be covered in snow and ice. Because you admit having no experience with driving in these conditions, I recommend you access instructions at the American Motor Association (AMA). At the most, you need to know how to steer out of a skid, braking and acceleration techniques, instructions how to drive up slippery slopes, and how close/far to follow other vehicles. A lot of it is common sense, so don't be nervous. A U-Haul truck is great.
If you are driving your own vehicle, good tires that are not balding of course. Newer all season radials are effective.
I'll leave you to it then.
Happy moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or