U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 12:21 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,191,335 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring next year and moving cross country. I will have some items (a little furniture, clothes, art work, and kitchen items) that will need to be moved. In total it will probably be around 2000 lbs. I am not in a position to pack and drive a U-Haul, nor will a Pod or similar item work in my situation. I know it will be expensive, but I am willing to pay for good quality service.

Do any of you have experience with small moves? Who did you use? What was your experience? What should I be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 05:36 AM

4,213 posts, read 12,567,500 times
Any of the national movers will do small moves. Bekins, United, Allied, etc. The only "downside" is that scheduling will be different -- delivery may take longer than if you had filled an entire trailer. DMing you.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothly323 View Post
Can you expand on why a POD won't work?

Professional movers will be able to handle this, but I've found with small moves cross country they tend to not be the best option. It's hard for a mover to make money on a small move long distance. Even the best companies tend to have long delivery times and higher rates of damage/loss with these types of moves.

Check out moveBuddha for some alternative options.
I was thinking the same thing ... reserving a container like a POD and hiring the labor to fill it and empty it. UHaul's website, for just one example, has a resource for hiring labor. U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

Old 11-05-2015, 06:01 PM

3,182 posts, read 1,962,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I will be retiring next year and moving cross country. I will have some items (a little furniture, clothes, art work, and kitchen items) that will need to be moved. In total it will probably be around 2000 lbs. I am not in a position to pack and drive a U-Haul, nor will a Pod or similar item work in my situation. I know it will be expensive, but I am willing to pay for good quality service.

Do any of you have experience with small moves? Who did you use? What was your experience? What should I be aware of?
We used Mayflower to do a move like this a few years ago. I thought the price was fair, and all in all it worked okay. There was one item that apparently did not get listed on the inventory, so it was not unloaded from the truck and we didn't notice until they had left. Fortunately it was not anything important or expensive. I wouldn't ship anything that can't be replaced by carrier. We move those things ourselves.

It will help a lot to have probably three people to monitor both the loading and unloading, to make sure everything gets tagged and recorded properly. The workers are on a deadline so they are trying to get things done quickly. You will not be able to direct them and also make sure inventory is done properly all by yourself.

I read a lot of reviews before we did our move. The biggest problems seem to be with respect to delivering on time, so be prepared to be flexible.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,191,335 times
Regarding a POD - I live in a very congested part of the city, there is no place to put the POD during packing or a safe place to leave it overnight.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Regarding a POD - I live in a very congested part of the city, there is no place to put the POD during packing or a safe place to leave it overnight.
Understand!

In many cities movers need to get a permit to even park their truck for the hours needed to load it, and that includes shuttles (loading a small truck and taking the load to the larger trailer that's parked elsewhere if there's no room for a trailer on the street).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or