U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 08:44 AM

109 posts, read 68,562 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Looking for some general info on how to handle insurance during my move and helping you can help.

I'll be moving from NH to SC soon and currently have home owners insurance which I would like to change over to renters insurance to cover my possessions while they are en route and then in storage. My current home owners agency says they can't do that because they need a physical address to write the policy. So how did you handle this?

Second, I don't currently have an auto insurance policy but would like to get a non-owners policy to cover me for a rental car when I get to SC. I'll probably rent car for a month before I buy a car. Again, there the issue with the no fixed address since I'll be staying in a hotel for the first month or so at least.

Any info you have would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 03:57 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,030,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
My current home owners agency says they can't do that because they need a physical address to write the policy. So how did you handle this?
Maybe check with an agent in the new state? If they need a physical address, too, maybe a temporary PO Box at Mail Boxes Plus (or something like that) would work. You could call and ask.

I'm with State Farm. When I moved, I just went to my old agent, explained I was moving to Iowa and got his card. Then I went to another State Farm agent down the street from my new home in Iowa, and we sat down, called him, and got my car insurance transferred and new home insurance, easy peasy. My car insurance has a rider for a rental car if I need one.

When I moved from Michigan to Ohio many years ago, I was with AAA and did the same thing. I was renting then, and it only took them a few minutes to put a policy together for me in Ohio. As I recall, I only had a PO Box. I was still apartment hunting.

Good luck with all that, and don't forget to get your "real ID" together ASAP. That was the biggest problem for my move. I had to wait and get my renewed passport back in the mail before I could get an Iowa driver's license. It would've been longer than a month if I tried to get my birth certificate, and generally one only has 30 days to get a new license and plates.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,192,729 times
I'm going to be in the same situation with regards to auto insurance. I do not currently own a car (but do have a license). When I move I will need to rent a car until I decide what to purchase. I would hate to have to pay the rental car agency insurance rates for a month. Can you get auto insurance without owning a car?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 AM

109 posts, read 68,562 times
You can get a non-owners policy but you need to have an address to get one. And you can't really do it online - you have to call an agent or the company direct.

Meemur - I will be getting a mail box once I get there but it's the in between time I'm concerned with Since the house is being sold, the home owner's policy should end the day we transfer title.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:39 AM

85 posts, read 65,111 times
We moved recently from St. Louis to Park City, UT. We had a house to sell in STL and were going to rent in Utah (already had a place with an address).

What our homeowners insurance company did was note that our closing occurred on the day we arrived in Utah, which meant our belongings were still insured for the move. Our buyers were closing on a Wednesday, but we arranged an early closing for us the day before, then we took off for Utah right after. Since our movers left STL on Monday, by the time we got to Utah on Wednesday the buyers had closed, title was transferred, and our stuff was already here. We got renters insurance shortly after with an agent out here.

This left no gap. Perhaps you could arrange an early closing for you, as the sellers, and your contents would still be insured while you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or