U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 668 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Kaapa, Kauai in 3 months for a new job. I am wondering if I could purchase my own 20' storage container here in the states (I live in Colorado), pack it myself and have it shipped. My new business could use a storage container in Kauai. I guess my real question would be are there any bugaboos about packing my storage container myself? I can worry about the logistics, so long as I haven't violated any rules by having packed the container myself. I would abide by all rules of contents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:34 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,832,154 times
Yes, but the container must have a sea worthy certificate. many purchased used do not have a certificate anymore and the cost for a maritime engineer to come out and inspect and issue the certificate may eat up any savings of using a shippers container and buying use where you go.

There's no issue with packing but you should be checking with the Hawaii shippers to make sure you are adhering to regulations and any company specific requirements. Fortunately I think there are still only three shippers so you only have to make three calls (might as well get quotes at the same time) to see if they have anything specific they want. Also, since its Kauai, you also have to check young bros to see if they have any special requirements. Normally, when you use on the of shippers, they deal with everything and everyone along the way.

That brings up the question of the actual shipment. Normally if you use Matson, Pasha or Horizon, they provide the container, deliver it to you, pick it up from you, deal with transporting it to the dock, load it on the ship, unload it, clear it through HI agriculture, store it if needed, transfer it if to another island, deliver it at your destination, and pick up the empty container all included in a flat rate price. When you are using your own container, you may have multiple segment cost as well as new or added surcharges. The savings sometimes isn't there versus using the shippers container and just buying a non seaworthy container at your location. You may be able to use their service and container yet work out a sale of that container at your destination for less cost than owning from the start. (remember, Hawaii ships empty containers back to the mainland to be loaded and shipped with goods back to Hawaii so there is always a glut of empty containers on Hawaii that can be had cheap)

Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM

5,471 posts, read 4,094,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yes, but the container must have a sea worthy certificate. many purchased used do not have a certificate anymore and the cost for a maritime engineer to come out and inspect and issue the certificate may eat up any savings of using a shippers container and buying use where you go.

There's no issue with packing but you should be checking with the Hawaii shippers to make sure you are adhering to regulations and any company specific requirements. Fortunately I think there are still only three shippers so you only have to make three calls (might as well get quotes at the same time) to see if they have anything specific they want. Also, since its Kauai, you also have to check young bros to see if they have any special requirements. Normally, when you use on the of shippers, they deal with everything and everyone along the way.

That brings up the question of the actual shipment. Normally if you use Matson, Pasha or Horizon, they provide the container, deliver it to you, pick it up from you, deal with transporting it to the dock, load it on the ship, unload it, clear it through HI agriculture, store it if needed, transfer it if to another island, deliver it at your destination, and pick up the empty container all included in a flat rate price. When you are using your own container, you may have multiple segment cost as well as new or added surcharges. The savings sometimes isn't there versus using the shippers container and just buying a non seaworthy container at your location. You may be able to use their service and container yet work out a sale of that container at your destination for less cost than owning from the start. (remember, Hawaii ships empty containers back to the mainland to be loaded and shipped with goods back to Hawaii so there is always a glut of empty containers on Hawaii that can be had cheap)

Can this technique be used on a land move? I was considering buying shipping containers to load my stuff in and have them transported to Atlanta from Ca.
Do you know anyone I can contact for such a move?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 AM

9,266 posts, read 11,832,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Can this technique be used on a land move? I was considering buying shipping containers to load my stuff in and have them transported to Atlanta from Ca.
Do you know anyone I can contact for such a move?
Sure, just look up intermodel carriers. You can go by truck or rail. Just make sure the container isn't modified to alter the external structure or had changes to the corner castings. As an fyi, if you are hoping to save money doing it this way usually it ends up costing more. Again, using a mover/carriers equipment for the transportation and buying a storage container to your destination is cheaper than buying your own container, getting it into compliance and shipping it. A cost many people forget about is you need to be able to have a HD forklift or crane at your site when they come to pickup and deliver the container as it has to be put on and taken off the trailer which is your responsibility.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:41 PM

5,471 posts, read 4,094,118 times
Thanks. So far everything I've checked on agrees with what you are saying. The crane is probably the big breaker. It was $1500 to $2500 to pick up 2 containers and get them to the rail yard plus the same thing when they are unloaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or