U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 01:15 PM

65 posts, read 45,793 times

Advertisements

So I'm a single 35 year old from MA who is contemplating moving down to the Tampa Bay area. I'm miserable here at home and told myself last April I wouldn't spend another winter here in the northeast. I quit my job a few months ago and decided to fly down to the Virgin Islands and give living there a shot. I wound up renting a room from some woman who responded to an ad I had on craigslist but she turned out to be a really bad alcoholic and a real pain to live with. I also interviewed for about 10 jobs while there but the pay I was being offered was way too low considering the cost of living. I would have had to work 2 or 3 jobs just to get by. After about a month I packed up and came home.

Now I find myself back in the same predicament. Cold and miserable in the northeast. I've had an ad running on craiglist since I've returned home looking for a room to rent in the Tampa area. I've been emailing people on craigslist with roomshares but nobody responds to my inquiries. I was offered one room that sounded alright but after a google search learned the person was a felon with an assault with a deadly weapon charge. So much for that.

I never thought finding a place to stay would be such a pain in the butt. It's starting to become really stressful from afar. I've emailed property management companies to see if they would lease to me without a job but they all want me to have $40000 in the bank for them to consider it. I read posts about people stating you shouldn't move without a job. I've been reaching out to companies in my field and have gotten fast responses from them but they all say to get in touch with them when I'm in the area and that's as far as it goes.

I'm 35, debt free, and have about $13k in cash to give this a go. I'm getting really frustrated that nobody is taking me serious from here in MA. I'm getting ready to just pack my stuff in the car and drive south without a job or place to stay. Wondering if I should just drive down and do the airbnb/extended stay hotel thing to start? Then reach back out to the companies I've already spoke with about employment as well as hit craigslist hard and meet people with rooms when I'm actually there and actually able to view them? Seems like my only real option at this point.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 04:31 AM

4,211 posts, read 12,530,473 times
You are somewhat caught between a rock and a hard place! Employers would rather you live there prior to hiring and landlords prefer you are employed there prior to renting.

Obviously you have an adventurous spirit and very little baggage to haul around. Is "home" in MA a safety net that you could return to if Tampa Bay didn't pan out? $13k is a chunk of change, but might only last 6 months or so without income (depending on how frugal you are).

Why not a vacation rental or extended stay?? I'd say yes go for it. If you couldn't use either address (temp. rental or hotel) for receiving mail you could rent a UPS or PO box. But you'd be "living" in TB and perhaps employers would be more ready to chat.

As for craigslist - I'm not sure what's up with that lately ... contacts I've made for different things recently have gone ignored. Frustrating.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:57 AM

319 posts, read 451,621 times
Find a safe extended stay motel. If I were you, I would wait until February to go down there.

Not sure what type of job you are looking for, but many professional gigs are not filled during the holidays.

If you're not looking for an office gig, then the holidays may not affect the hiring process.

Best of luck!

Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Is "home" in MA a safety net that you could return to if Tampa Bay didn't pan out? $13k is a chunk of change, but might only last 6 months or so without income (depending on how frugal you are).
"Home" is either my mothers multifamily home or a room in my fathers home that would always be available. I'd also be leaving about $3K in assets behind that could be liquidated if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Find a safe extended stay motel. If I were you, I would wait until February to go down there.

Not sure what type of job you are looking for, but many professional gigs are not filled during the holidays.

If you're not looking for an office gig, then the holidays may not affect the hiring process.

Best of luck!
Looking for more of a specialty trade type job but would be open to other positions if the first doesn't pan out. Honestly don't think I could ever work in an office.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:05 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,079,369 times
$13K is hardly enough to move somewhere with no job lined up, unless you're going to be living with someone else. I would never recommend anyone to move somewhere with no job lined up unless they have at least $30,000 in the bank, minimum. You would be surprised at how FAST your savings will be depleted. And once your savings are depleted, it will be very depressing. That $13K is probably two year's worth of savings, down the drain in just a matter of 5 months.

In September, I lost my job and I had $71K in the bank. I am now down to $66K. Next month, I'll be down to $63K. And it just keeps depleting and depleting. It's depressing. I cannot imagine starting with only $13K. It is NOT a lot of money. If anything, most of that should be your emergency fund.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:38 AM

4,791 posts, read 5,332,001 times
Why not plan a trip there, let the potential employers know you'll be there on whatever dates you will, and set up interviews?

Old 11-15-2015, 01:01 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,079,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Why not plan a trip there, let the potential employers know you'll be there on whatever dates you will, and set up interviews?
That's a stupid idea. What if the OP ends up going on a trip there and hasn't landed any interviews?! The employers must FIRST setup an interview time with the OP, THEN the OP can plan a trip there. I would hate to see the OP waste hundreds of dollars on making a trip there without any concrete interview's scheduled during the dates she will be there.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:39 PM

Well I emailed both companies that said they were interested in meeting with me. Told them I was gonna drive down in a couple weeks and asked if they were still interested and wanted to set up some interviews. Got a time and date from one and the other told me just to call when I was in the area. So that's good. Will probably try to reach out to a couple more companies prior to my arrival. Still need to figure out housing tho.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 PM

350 posts, read 259,556 times
themosthigh:

I'd go ahead and do it. Give yourself a time frame to find a job, if you can't at the end of the time frame move back up north. You have a safety net with your parents. Take a risk you'll regret it later in life if you don't (in my opinion).

Keep us posted on how it works out. Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues