Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
I see so many people pulling up roots away from everything they've ever known... a secure job, home, family and friends and pulling up stakes and taking off in search of "greener pastures", thinking that all their dreams will come true, if they could just get "there", only to find that it was just that, a dream. And, many of these are doing so without any real job search, much less having a job to go to. That, IMO, is simply ludicrous. At least, if things go bad "back home", they have the safety net and emotional support of family and friends to lean on. Getting to a completely strange new place and having nothing familiar in hard times can be devastating... they know they can't or don't want to stay, but can't leave, either.
I think you are probably right about the OP now that I think about it. I think I was projecting. My situation is very, very different than the OP, most strikingly with the house. Even if you do secure employment somewhere else, what if the house doesn't sell back home for months or even over a year? Ouch. With the housing market worse than the job market, it might be better just to stay.

I am not sure if I agree with the last sentence. I think that is more of a personality thing than anything else. I lived abroad for several years and even when things were at their worst, I never considered seriously going back to my home country. That is how I know I don't belong here now that I had to come back to this place temporarily. I will not miss it when I leave again because I know I didn't miss it before. I don't have a lot of family, so that is not a compelling argument. I just made due with what I had. Made it work somehow. Not all people have that drive. Nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:11 PM

415 posts, read 2,334,190 times
I work for a moving company and hold many corp accounts that move their new hires, Insurance companies do it, AT&T does, Schools, Engineering firms. distribution companies and many others, Check monster.com and when reading thru the ads they will list if they have a relocation policy .

There are many companies out there that will move you, but will probably not help with the sale of your home

Old 02-06-2008, 11:19 AM

186 posts, read 1,061,795 times
My huband was offered relocation with the company he started with right out of college. It's pretty standard. We are now looking at a move out of state and no one has batted an eye at the fact we are out of state or a relocation package. They even covered the entire expense for the both of us to come to the area for his interviews and to check out the area. They know we wouldn't move without a relocation package and we are currently weeding out 3 offers and still more interviews to come. Most large companies have no problem paying relocation, it's a small drop in the bucket for them.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Quote:
My huband was offered relocation with the company he started with right out of college.
How much can moving expenses be fresh out of college? The only time I've heard of a company paying relocation costs is if you're working for the company, and they relocate you while you're still with the company. I've never heard of moving expenses being part of a job offer.

You should first narrow down one location, pay a couple of visits and do research on the different places. You're husband should start applying for jobs en masse, he should blanket the town with his resume and be prepared to take something not up to his current level. If he can schedule a couple of interviews in a short amount of time, he can visit and do those, and downplay the fact that he has to relocate his entire family from half way across the country.

In the meantime, prepare to move. Sell the junk you don't need, pay down credit cards and/or save money, cancel or downgrade you're cable TV, minimize your lifestyle until you have few attachments and moving will be on the forefront of your mind, and it will happen. You listed some good places to move to, pick one and go for it!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
How much can moving expenses be fresh out of college? The only time I've heard of a company paying relocation costs is if you're working for the company, and they relocate you while you're still with the company. I've never heard of moving expenses being part of a job offer.
They covered the over $5000 cost for the moving company to come and pack all our items and ship them plus my husband's truck 3 states away. Our household items filled half or more of a semi truck so we had a lot to move. They also covered temporary housing but we didn't need that. They covered the mileage we had to drive to our new place and a hotel/food for a night until we could move into our apartment. They also gave us access to a real estate agent if we needed one, which we didn't.

My husband is currently changing jobs. All 3 of the companies he is interviewing with will cover relocation and he has never worked for any of the companies before. It is expected and wasn't even a thought that they wouldn't cover it. I don't know what industry you are in but in my husbands it is standard and a company wouldn't even think of not offering it.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post

Happens all the time. Every single place that my wife has been offered a job with has a relocation package. Last two have paid for both of us to come out and spend a couple of days in the area for an interview and a chance to look the area over. All have been 1500+ miles away from where we were when the initial offer was made.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
If we waited to be 'sure and steady' we'd still be sitting on Long Island, year 4 of hoping to move.

Take a leap of faith but keep your eyes open. Nothing will ever be 'perfect' enough (both spouses working, tons of money, great place on the first try..). There will be hiccups but think how you will feel if 20 years from now you 'are still moving.'

Remember, by choosing 'not to move' you are making a decision. By moving you are making a decision.

As someone who moved a few months ago (5 months to the day) I say to you just try to bring as much $ as you can for unexpected expenses and hang in. I am still looking for work but I will keep at it..

Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Another consideration is whether you own a house in Detroit. It is an unfortunate fact that Detroit has one of the worst housing markets in the country and it is no small feat to be able to sell a home there quickly. If you are set on leaving, as crazy as it might sound, you should consider selling your house first and then moving into a rental while you look for work out of state. Best case scenario would be you find out-of-state employment at about the same time you sell your house. Good luck.
See, I'd recommend selling the house, then using a portion of the equity to make the move to short-term rental housing whatever market you like, THEN look. After all, if you're already in the market of your choice, you can be available to work almost immediately, plus you have a cash reserve to work with.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Happens all the time. Every single place that my wife has been offered a job with has a relocation package. Last two have paid for both of us to come out and spend a couple of days in the area for an interview and a chance to look the area over. All have been 1500+ miles away from where we were when the initial offer was made.
Ditto! Hubby and I just returned from a trip this past weekend. The company he interviewed with covered our mileage (we didn't want to fly otherwise they would cover airfare), our hotel for 4 nights and a food allowance for both of us for the 4 days we were there. We would never accept an offer if it didn't have a relocation package.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile What industry are you in?

My husband is currently changing jobs. All 3 of the companies he is interviewing with will cover relocation and he has never worked for any of the companies before. It is expected and wasn't even a thought that they wouldn't cover it. I don't know what industry you are in but in my husbands it is standard and a company wouldn't even think of not offering it.[/quote]

What industry are you in? Sounds great BTW...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues