Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 05:25 PM

579 posts, read 432,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Maybe it's just a money thing? No place is any fun if you don't have enough money. Otherwise, maybe you need to get out more. The Bay Area is one of the better places on planet Earth.
Depends on what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I've moved, with a family,....a lot. Except for Boulder, CO, it always took some time to adjust, 9-12 months before we were really happy, all of us, and sad to leave (except for Boulder). Maybe this is unique.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:00 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
As long as you've decided you will be staying here for a while as you've both started new jobs, pretend you only plan to stay for two years and you really want to enjoy everything the area has to offer.

Hang out at the Exploratorium. Take wild rides on the cable cars. Picnic at the Presidio. Afternoon tea at one of the grand old hotels. Fisherman's wharf. ...

Invite your friends and relatives to visit you while you are still there.

Before you know it, you'll be heading off to more suitable pastures with fond memories of your time in the Bay area.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 12-09-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
A few months ago, I got a job offer that was fantastic. However, I had six months to move. I packed my things and moved 700 miles away to the SF Bay Area knowing that it is expensive. Saying goodbye to people was difficult. The last two weeks before I moved were full of doubt and asking myself whether or not I am making the right choice. Everything happened so fast and so all of a sudden.
Fast forward a few months later and here I am in the Bay Area. I really don't like it here. I find people to be very rude and it's so overcrowded. My job is okay... kind of boring but looks good on a resume. I do try to get out and explore a little but this place is just really, really overrated and overhyped. I am not trying to offend anyone who may like this area but I really dislike it here. I also moved from a beautiful, cozy house into a small 1 bedroom apartment where rent is twice my mortgage.
I have been at my job only a few months and I often look on job sites for similar opportunities in other areas of the country - especially where I used to live. I won't seriously apply to them because I just started my job and my husband just started his. I guess we're stuck here for a couple of years?
I know that I have only been here a few months. However, will I eventually learn to like it here? Will I ever become accustomed to this place? I just want to be happy again. I am depressed and sad, I think. I don't quite know what it is about here but I just don't like it very much.
Has anyone gone through the same thing?
Sort of. I moved from southern Indiana to Las Vegas Nevada mainly for better employment opportunities for the person I was living with at the time. I knew I wouldn't like it there that much, but we visited before and thought it wasn't as bad as we thought. Plus we liked being close to San Diego. There were some advantages about Las Vegas, like no state income tax, mountainous landscape, real nice dining opportunities. But I really missed natural greenery and thunderstorms/cloudy days.

I ended up staying there for nine years but eventually moved back east. I managed it by (towards the end of my time staying there) traveling back east several times a year to visit; I had a real good job so I could afford something like that. If I hadn't been able to do that, I really may have had to have left before that, just really couldn't stand it out there eventually.

Hopefully you can get out of your situation soon. It's not fun to not like where you live. I hope that at least you have some things that can make up for the disadvantages.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
The Bay area is in a wonderful natural setting. Get of the crowded city on a regular basis. See the ocean, lakes, woods, go bird watching, go hiking, skiing, etc. There are some great parks in the area (like Golden Gate.) Go at times, if you can, that there would be fewer people. Think about what would make you feel good, and find a place that fits. The Bay Area has all the problems of a major metropolitan area, but it also has amazing beauty and opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues